Home U.S. Coin Forum

My Winter 2019 FUN show report

ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is my own viewpoint of the show. I don't pretend to know all about the market or anything like that, I'm just a collector trying to fill in a few more holes in the collection, be it registry set or bookshelf album.

It's hard to believe it's been 4 years since I last attended the Winter FUN Show! I missed all the non-Orlando shows and by most accounts from dealers and attendees, they were extremely happy that this show was back in Orlando. It felt like the past 4 years were all bottled up and shaken hard, ready to pop in Orlando. And pop it did! For the two days I attended (Thursday and part of Friday), the show had great traffic. Many of the dealers that I talked to were having a good to great show, even heard one exclaim, "that sale just paid for my table and then some!" Add to that some nice weather and you have the recipe for a fun FUN show. Me and my wife try to plan vacations around major coin shows - the coin show might be the draw, but we make time to do other stuff while we are there. This time we did Animal Kingdom, played putt-putt golf at Pirate's Cove, rode the ICON Wheel, had pool time at our hotel and did a lot of walking in general. She even checked out the home and garden show that was on the other concourse. To sum it up, there was plenty to do!

My main search/target for this show was to find a nice 1817/3 Capped Bust half, followed by anything else that would help fill the 79 piece registry set. Anything else found (like toned Morgans, graded large cents, or nice raw coins) would just be the crispy bacon topping to the juicy 1817/3 patty. even though I've been to the show before, the amount of tables/coins is still overwhelming. Lots of shiny objects there to distract you from what you are trying to track, and some of them become temptations if you are not careful. Trust the force, it is with you.

On Day 1, I started off by submitting 4 coins for the quarterly grading special. I figured that would be a fun way to start the new year, and the wait time to hand off the coins was very short. Helps to have plenty of staff there. Next, I started my trek starting from the far right row and worked my way over each row, slowly but surely. It's fun to shoot the breeze too, whether you buy something or not. In one row, a nice XF-40 1806 cent in an OGH really caught my eye. I looked it over, liked it and told the dealer I'd think on it for a bit. Not too long after that, I managed to find a nice, original AU-50 1836 50/00 Capped Bust half, one I also needed for my set. After I bit, I ended buying that coin. After some time and some more rows, i found a small case of nicely toned coins, including a knockout (to me) 1886 MS-63 toned Morgan. After a bit of haggling, I had that coin too. At the same table was the nicest toned German Mark I've ever seen from 1914. It had vivid Morgan-like colors and was graded MS-67+. I really didn't know how to price something like that, so I passed. I also spent some time looking at the exhibits; the FUN memorabilia over the years was very cool. I also went to the Heritage auction room to view two coins, the 1943 AU-55 copper cent making the news and the 1793 AMERI. Chain Cent graded MS-64+ CAC. I managed to get both of them videoed to my Instagram account, where they picked up quite a few likes! So at the end of Day 1, I had a couple of coins and a few that I would take a look at again the next day.

On Day 2, I started off the morning by heading back to the 1806 cent. It was still there, and at this point I knew that was the one. That date just doesn't show up all that often, especially in a nice grade. I didn't have too much time to look at other stuff because of the PCGS luncheon, which was a good thing. The luncheon itself was great, it was nice to meet @Swampboy and his wife in person; they ended up sitting at our table. I also ran into @Bustnut, @lkeigwin, @EagleEye and others while waiting in line.
After the luncheon, I made my case to @BrettPCGS to have the member show make a return to San Antonio some time in the future. Best of luck to him and to PCGS for 2019 - but starting off the year by removing photos from CoinFacts was a major blunder/misstep IMHO. I hope @HeatherBoyd and others take a good hard look at the comments on the board and reconsider.
After the luncheon, I spent some time looking over reams of DMPL Morgans and quickly realized they are not all made the same. It really, really does help to look through lots of coins like this - the DMPL's I really like should have black and white contrast AND the mirrors! I'll probably get one of these at a future date. After that, I strolled around some more and got pulied in by - a nice 1817/3 Bust half in PCGS XF-45! After looking it over, I knew it was the one and ended up buying it. Score for me, it really made my day and my trip! I wrapped up the show by getting some nice old Mexican 20 centavos coins and an excellent AU-50 1838 dome for my type set from @BustDMs. To me, this counted as a successful show. Other forum members I ran into within the show were @scubafuel, @amwldcoin and @dlp, always good to meet in person!

OK now for my show coins, which have already been described above:

It was special to finally meet @crazyhounddog (Joe) in person during the luncheon, especially after all that he and his family have gone through. He was handing out loose change that was scorched in the Paradise fire - it's a real eye-opener to hold a coin that bubbled and buckled under the intense heat. It really does show how fragile we are and how life can turn very cruel in just a matter of seconds.

Look forward to the next Winter FUN!

Comments

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice personal view of the show and your experiences. I really like your new 1817/3 half !

The Kennedy half reminds of how fragile life is -- on many fronts.

• MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the report. Sounds like it was a great time!

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like all of your buys, especially the silver.
    I've also been accumulating a few of the cheap but attractive Mexico "Pyramid" 20 centavos.

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding report. Thank you.
    I approve of all of your purchases and especially the 1817/3 CBH.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report. I was with Joe and his son Joey at the luncheon so we probably met and didn't know it.

• panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice grouping of coins. I like them all.

• drddmdrddm Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report, Erik!

It was nice meeting you briefly while in line to get into the PCGS luncheon. I noticed your amazing 1818 Bust half on your shirt and knew who who you were instantly. I’ve always admired that coin.

Great newps, I especially love the 1817/3, congrats!

Dave

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2019 9:13PM

Sounds like you had a good show and a nice vacation, too. That's the way to do it. Thanks for the report!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see you collect Eye Appeal, extremely nice coins.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report and I love the newps.
    The 1806 cent is very tough to come by in that grade.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report @ElmerFusterpuck and the nice showing of all thse coins. Very nice!

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report, would have enjoyed crossing paths at FUN.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report. Love the dime, but I have always been a fan of old album toning. All have great eye appeal. You have a lot of willpower staying on track in an overwhelming venue full of distractions.

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

thank you for the report, and those are really nice looking coins!

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOVE the Centavos!
    Thank you for taking the time to share.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for taking the time to write a great report. A fascinating read. And a great group of coins.

• Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins. 1817/3 is really beautiful. Mission accomplished I’d say.

My current "Box of 20"

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the post. Like the color on that 38 dime!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

1 Best Show Report Ever!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks for the report! Love the 20 centavos. your new pocketchange is very powerful; how humbling

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the reports @ElmerFusterpuck :) I was treated to an almost virtual tours with all the wonderful reports.
    Congratulations on your NEWPs :)

• alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭

Loved the report and great pickups

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice report and great looking coins. I like the '06, great original cent.
    Best wishes to Joe for continued recovery for his family. I'm happy to see he was able to attend and take part in something 'normal'......

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2019 6:33AM

Thanks for posting the show report. I like your picks. There is a pyramid 20 centavo thread on the dark side right now. It’s on page two, I just checked. Great design. Yours has wonderful color.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent show report... Thank you... Those are some very nice coins you picked....You also seemed to enjoy several other activities.....Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file