Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1977 Hostess Twinkie variations?

I picked up a few raw Twinkie cards recently intending to submit for my player set. I've done basic research and referencing SCD, the Twinkie variation has the black bar. I know panels have a lot of variations but cut singles either had the bar or didn't. However, I have one with a small black bar as most seem to be and another with a much longer black bar and smaller print.

Any insight? Is this a common/known variation? I expected with the popularity of Hostess, there would be something graded highlighting the "3rd" variety but not seeing anything.

Comments

• 1977 Hostess is like going down a rabbit hole with all of the different types of issued cards. There were at least five different sizes, Twinkies, Cupcakes, Suzy Q's, HoHo's, and I forget the other one. I borrowed the scans from an old Net54 thread.

• Thanks. The two I have in my pic I think are both classified simply as 1977 Hostess Twinkies but there's an obvious different between them. They are cut down from the panel so hard to tell the original panel size. Any other thoughts how or what the difference is on the two I pictured would be very helpful. I know there are big hostess collectors...I'm not one of them. Simply trying to fill a player set and understand the diffs.

• flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

@1963ellsworth22and10 said:
    1977 Hostess is like going down a rabbit hole with all of the different types of issued cards. There were at least five different sizes, Twinkies, Cupcakes, Suzy Q's, HoHo's, and** I forget the other one**.

other one = Ring Dings?

Not much of a collector of the cards but I ate my fair share of hostess products back in the day.

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Your top card is a 1977 Hostess Cupcakes, your bottom card is a 1977 Hostess Twinkies. These are what they looked like on the original uncut product. Different cards were found on different packages corresponding with their number sequence, #46 Mark Fidrych was available on both single servings of Twinkies and single servings of Cupcakes,

• @flcardtrader said:

1977 Hostess is like going down a rabbit hole with all of the different types of issued cards. There were at least five different sizes, Twinkies, Cupcakes, Suzy Q's, HoHo's, and** I forget the other one**.

other one = Ring Dings?

Not much of a collector of the cards but I ate my fair share of hostess products back in the day.

It was Ding Dongs / Big Wheels that I was forgetting, Ring Dings were made by Drake's. Hostess called them Ding Dongs on the west coast but called them Big Wheels on the east coast to avoid confusion with Ring Dings.

• @1963ellsworth22and10 said:
    Your top card is a 1977 Hostess Cupcakes, your bottom card is a 1977 Hostess Twinkies. These are what they looked like on the original uncut product. Different cards were found on different packages corresponding with their number sequence, #46 Mark Fidrych was available on both single servings of Twinkies and single servings of Cupcakes,

Thanks for this detail. I'm curious why like SCD doesn't have these listed separately instead of lumped as just anything showing the black line is Twinkies. Also PSA not having anything slabbed with the different labels. Makes it hard to track this stuff down for the novice. Really appreciate your inputs.

Mike

• 1963ellsworth22and101963ellsworth22and10 Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2019 9:28AM

Here is another scan I borrowed from an old Net54 thread that shows all of the different types of 1977 Hostess single serving sizes that were distributed that year. ETA, seeing that there are six different sizes here, I believe the sixth size was Sno Balls, along with Twinkies, Cupcakes, HoHo's, Suzy Q's, and Ding Dongs / Big Wheels.

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

I remember getting these with Hostess cinnamon crumb cakes. No idea at the time that there were different cards for the various hostess products. If anyone could link to the master checklists it would be appreciated.

I’m going to have to dig to see if I can find them but I’m pretty sure I ditched them in a collection reduction. Being six years old at the time and insisting on using the scissors myself, I butchered the $&@# out of those cards.

• I've been documenting the various versions of the 1977 set. I think I've finally got it down.

There are 241 uncut card variations if you consider their original size borders as a variation. The variations are correlated to the product they were issued with (Twinkies, Ho-Ho, Cupcakes, Snowball etc.)

59 cards are found in only one size.
    91 can be found in two versions

Type 1
    3 1/8" x 4 1/8
    No flaps
    48 Cards (Common)

Type 2
    4 1/2" x 4 1/4
    No flaps
    12 Cards (Common)

Type 3
    2 1/2" x 4 1/2
    Narrow Stats
    105 Cards (Uncommon)

Type 4
    3" x 3 5/8"
    No flaps
    40 Cards (Uncommon)

Type 5
    6 1/8" x 4 1/8
    Flaps on side
    21 Cards (Rare)

Type 6
    3 5/8" x 3
    Tall Flaps
    15 Cards (Rare)

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not all 77 Twinkie cards have the black bar. I have a complete 77 Twinkies box with Yaz, Bench and Munson and the cards have no black bars on the backs.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    Not all 77 Twinkie cards have the black bar. I have a complete 77 Twinkies box with Yaz, Bench and Munson and the cards have no black bars on the backs.

I think the "Twinkie" set would be more appropriately labeled the "Hostess single serving" set. I don't think there are any differences between the full size boxes.

• lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭

@Mfricke said:
    I've been documenting the various versions of the 1977 set. I think I've finally got it down.

There are 241 uncut card variations if you consider their original size borders as a variation. The variations are correlated to the product they were issued with (Twinkies, Ho-Ho, Cupcakes, Snowball etc.)

59 cards are found in only one size.
    91 can be found in two versions

Type 1
    3 1/8" x 4 1/8
    No flaps
    48 Cards (Common)

Type 2
    4 1/2" x 4 1/4
    No flaps
    12 Cards (Common)

Type 3
    2 1/2" x 4 1/2
    Narrow Stats
    105 Cards (Uncommon)

Type 4
    3" x 3 5/8"
    No flaps
    40 Cards (Uncommon)

Type 5
    6 1/8" x 4 1/8
    Flaps on side
    21 Cards (Rare)

Type 6
    3 5/8" x 3
    Tall Flaps
    15 Cards (Rare)

WOW

i need a CAREW 1977 TWINKIES please let me know

• esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

I have 3 or 4 different uncut sheets from 1977.

I also have a never-released Dave Parker proof. Only one I have ever seen.

Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

@esquiresports said:

Pretty cool Dave Parker

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@esquiresports said:

Are these Twinkies or regular Hostess?

• Historicalwood71Historicalwood71 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

I love these older vintage odd ball cards. Picked up a 1982 "Topps" Kmart , limited edition Hank Aaron in psa 10. One of my favorites lol.

@esquiresports said:

with CAREW ? but i need the Twinkees with the bar in the bottom....

@DBesse27 said:

the black bars are more RARE

• morton35morton35 Posts: 75 ✭✭

Cards off full/complete Twinkies boxes (with 3-card panels) are "regular" Hostess cards. The Twinkie variation (with the black bar and the cards of the separate set) were single issue cards on the panel of individual issue Twinkies bought via vending machine or convenience store. Because of that, they are more difficult to come by and almost always stained to some extent. In 1977, Hostess produced the entire set this way. In 1975 and 1976, the sets were smaller than the full Hostess set.

anyone want to sell a carew twinkie 1977

• RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 775 ✭✭✭✭

@Mfricke said:
    I've been documenting the various versions of the 1977 set. I think I've finally got it down.

This guy documents 276 uncut panel varieties:

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/inside-the-1975-77-hostess-twinkies-single-card-sets/

Lots of other Hostess info on regional distributions/varieties/errors/etc.

@flcardtrader said:

other one = Ring Dings?

It was Ding Dongs / Big Wheels that I was forgetting, Ring Dings were made by Drake's. Hostess called them Ding Dongs on the west coast but called them Big Wheels on the east coast to avoid confusion with Ring Dings.

They were King Dons in Canada.
    And don't forget those god-awful pink marshmellow balls, Snoballs.

edited September 1, 2023 12:00PM

@jiberjab said:
    Thanks. The two I have in my pic I think are both classified simply as 1977 Hostess Twinkies but there's an obvious different between them. They are cut down from the panel so hard to tell the original panel size. Any other thoughts how or what the difference is on the two I pictured would be very helpful. I know there are big hostess collectors...I'm not one of them. Simply trying to fill a player set and understand the diffs.

I don't think there is a distinction between the different print sizes.
    Only that 'no black bar' is from a box, and 'with a black bar' means single serve Twinkies. (Twin pack, not sure about 1 Twinkie)

Sometimes the black bar is aligned poorly, that if you cut on the dotted line, you could cut the black bar off, and think that the card is from a box, when it could be from single serve package.

There is one way to tell the difference. Hostess applied a wax coating on the single serve packages, but not the the box, so you can feel the difference, but it's tough.