Home U.S. Coin Forum

What's better 90% or silver american eagles

COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you were going to invest in silver and had the choice between 90% silver coins or silver american eagles, which one would you buy for long term investment? Some friends and I are have a debate and we are tied

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
HAPPY COLLECTING

Comments

• CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

ASE’s personally

Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is silver either way, for me it comes down to what is the better deal.

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can’t go wrong with either one. I’ve had much more success moving 90% though. ASEs are easy to sell due to their popularity, but can be harder to get the premium back.

• fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

90 percent silver is worn therefore short weight. Eagles will always be worth more. I would never buy junk silver unless it was AU-UNC. But how would I know, I'm not a dealer.

• CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eagles

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been buying Walking halves. More fun to look at than the sterile Eagles.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both. People feel like Eagle's have to be treated gently. Junk silver can just be thrown in a bag. Eagle's for storage, junk if you need to spend and junk is divisible and has already been used as money and did the job well.

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with Weiss that 90% silver is better under circumstances where it needs to be used for transacting.

I have bought and sold Maple Leafs, to a local PNG dealer. I have never bought 90% and only sold it in limited quantity.
    Personally, I prefer NCLT over bars and rounds, if for no other reason that it's my understanding Hugh Wood only insures coins. I don't know about home insurance but haven't ever read it's available or economical for large amounts.

I disagree that 90% US junk silver will ever have a numismatic premium and by "ever", in any timeframe which will matter to anyone reading my comments. Enough of it will never be melted and even if it was, still no reason to believe why anyone would want it as a collectible anyway. Much scarcer but still believed to be but not as common low quality foreign silver isn't worth a premium now because no one wants it as a collectible either. I consider it a lot more likely that existing currently common US classics worth a premium now will lose it later than others gaining it.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    Both. People feel like Eagle's have to be treated gently. Junk silver can just be thrown in a bag. Eagle's for storage, junk if you need to spend and junk is divisible and has already been used as money and did the job well.

Since ASEs aren't intended to circulate many folks are persnickety about their appearance. Who wants new stuff at $2-$3 over spot that looks like it got run over by a road grader?

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no real disagreement with what Weiss has said, other than 90% silver change in volume takes a lot of space. As far as a medium of exchange within the U.S., ASE's are reasonably well known and quite liquid. Mainly due to storage, I prefer ASE's. Cheers, RickO

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

@Smudge said:

Since ASEs aren't intended to circulate many folks are persnickety about their appearance. Who wants new stuff at $2-$3 over spot that looks like it got run over by a road grader?

Yep and that is a liability in its own way. You have to baby your silver. Collector coins have to be treated gently, now with Eagle's you have to do the same with bullion.

• cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't hold much of either, but 90% for me. Don't like the premium on the ASEs and they are just all the same to me (modern/non-circulating). I like the variety you can hold with 90%. Prefer close to full weight coins...64 Kennedy 50c, 50's and 60's Washington 25c and silver Roosies and later date Mercs. I would avoid slicks.

Jeff

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiftysevener said:
    90 percent silver is worn therefore short weight. Eagles will always be worth more. I would never buy junk silver unless it was AU-UNC. But how would I know, I'm not a dealer.

The 0.715 multiplier for calculating value of 90% takes into account ~2% weight loss for average circulated junk (no slicks/culls). It works fine.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2019 9:10PM

Except for low premium, much of what Weiss said could also be said of ASEs. Note that low premium 90% coins are normally not of collectible quality and only retain their silver value. Also, note that low premiums paid for 90% US coinage remain low when they are resold. ASE higher premiums are a result of demand and reflect their purity and their wide acceptance as a preferred way to invest in physical silver and are normally recouped when they are resold. At their current (and even higher) price the silver investor does not need sub-ounce units of the ASE. While it will always have silver value, there is a reason that "no premium" US silver coinage is referred to as "junk silver."

For these reasons my investment in physical silver is with ASEs.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2019 9:46PM

It simply depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

If you are attempting to save or set aside some sizable amount of "savings" in physical silver, then large silver bars by a recognized maker might be best.

If you are attempting to make some provision for a massive future inflation (or a 'Mad Maxx'-style 'pockylypse'), then silver dimes and quarters might be best.

If you are just speculating, then going to a genuine brokerage and doing it all on paper might very well be best. Avoid both the premiums for physical AND the hernia.

It just depends on what you are trying to do.

I just despise spellchecker, it will be the death of civilization.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@Smudge said:

Yep and that is a liability in its own way. You have to baby your silver. Collector coins have to be treated gently, now with Eagle's you have to do the same with bullion.

An ounce of silver is an ounce of silver but just try to sell a junk ASE for the same price as a near flawless new one.

• ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2019 3:29AM

That's a trick question 😏 Make a list of pluses and minus, each will be the way to go at one time or another.

Nothing like finding your roll having milk spots and you settle for spot if your lucky, no one wants ugly even in toning. Storage do you want tide degerent 3 X for $10 or the big bottle watered down for $5.97? I figure 3 halves per ounce so that's a overkill on any ware,those rims and high areas have a reason.

Invester or collector🤣 Trust me I was just ask that, when your in this long enough your hobby can be a huge investment over time like your 401k and it's life cycle.

What happens if silver does go to 100 an ounce? Do you want that taxable event on an 100 bar to get the best deal? Do you play poker? I want a bunch of little chips instead of being all in or out. I average like you do stocks. Over time when it goes high to low. Get ready to quit or be pissed when your 100 ouncer went from $5000 to $500 and you didn't sell because you wanted some insurance.

Going though random it looks like I'm going to buy the grand kids blue Waltham folders and let them rip filling them since I've seen everything the little I've done looking 49s, 55,48 the 56 is about the only one I haven't. Now for a starting collector/investor that's a hobby with a great cost to benefit ratio.... fun with little downside and a great entry point In my mind.

Felling lucky? Put your money down come one, come all🤣Come on the water fine😂👋

My .02 cents FWIW if I remember correctly 🤓

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both choices are extremely liquid which is key when you go to sell. Personally I like to purchase silver as close to spot as possible so I usually go with 90% junk.

Worth noting you should be cautious if buying 90% site unseen. Bags and rolls from dealers can be and usually are extremely worn. I like to buy in person where I am able to sort what I buy. I'll take BU 64 Kennedys over slick walkers, 60-64 quarters over dateless standing liberties etc. any day.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:
    Both choices are extremely liquid which is key when you go to sell. Personally I like to purchase silver as close to spot as possible so I usually go with 90% junk.

Worth noting you should be cautious if buying 90% site unseen. Bags and rolls from dealers can be and usually are extremely worn. I like to buy in person where I am able to sort what I buy. I'll take BU 64 Kennedys over slick walkers, 60-64 quarters over dateless standing liberties etc. any day.

lol, I noticed this. I finally bought some cheap plastic quarter and half tubes, and noted that I could get like 21 to 23 early date halves into a tube where 20-64 Kennedy's were a tight fit, and around 43 to 45 slicked up SLQ's and early Washington's in a quarter tube.

I didn't weigh 'em, but they were obviously underweight.

I really don't care what form my silver is in, though I don't consciously buy bags of 90%. It just gets added to as I come across the stuff.

From my back's point of view, ASE's are 10% lighter for the same amount of silver. Dead weight matters. :wink:

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

@Smudge said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@Smudge said:

An ounce of silver is an ounce of silver but just try to sell a junk ASE for the same price as a near flawless new one.

You really have to go out of your way to beat up an ASE. You can find a lot of examples, but that's only a tiny fraction of the bazillions they strike every year.

I wonder how many actually see the light of day. I buy ASE's by the tube(s), and once I get my two flawless examples for my collection, the rest is all bullion. I have tubes of ASE's that still have Philadelphia air in 'em. (Maybe San Francisco air. You never know. :smile: )

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:
    lol, I noticed this. I finally bought some cheap plastic quarter and half tubes, and noted that I could get like 21 to 23 early date halves into a tube where 20-64 Kennedy's were a tight fit, and around 43 to 45 slicked up SLQ's and early Washington's in a quarter tube.

Yep, I'm OCD with those plastic tubes. Nothing worse than a $10 quarter roll still having any amount of extra room inside, especially room for 5 more quarters. Drives me nuts.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer 90% because while you are looking through the bin you could find some cool stuff last time I looked I got two 1918s and a 1947. Also you could fill a date and mm set of rosevelts and Franklins while going through a 90% bin.

• fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

@VanHalen said:

@fiftysevener said:

The 0.715 multiplier for calculating value of 90% takes into account ~2% weight loss for average circulated junk (no slicks/culls). It works fine.

Thanks I was not aware of that. I'm a collector not a stacker but can you buy AU/Unc silver for slightly more then ? Since Eagles sell at a premium maybe they are mot the better deal.

• ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

I like both. If I had to choose, then 90%.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

As an investment ? Slippery slope, if you're asking me. Traditionally speaking, I prefer real money. They both have dollar denominations, so "saving" is better than investing. But collecting : that's the key to fun. And eye appeal trumps all, for me. So the more meat on the bone, plus a natural patina.... the more desireable it is, as a collectible. Although as an investment, go by the weight.

• dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

Both... although I possess more BU ASE’s.

• COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks everyone its looks like it's somewhat of a tie here too. I appreciate everyone's input

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

It depends, weather your investing or collecting for the History of the coin

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whatever you choose, keep ease of resell in mind.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some dealers / shows have junk silver boxes with worn/nicked/discolored ASE's in them, at spot +/-.

No real downside there.

Also: Location: I have found Mexico Onzas bring a premium in Texas where I live, but zilch in Connecticut where my daughter lives, so she brings them her, and I send her back with Maples, which bring a premium up north, versus nothing around here.

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Canadian Maple Leafs... anti-counterfeiting features and cheaper than ASEs.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2019 3:52PM

When I was buying junk silver back when it was really unloved in the $6-$8 range I was picking up unc. quarters and halves frequently from the local coin dealer with no added premium. If that were still the case, then it would be without a doubt US silver coinage.

ASE's are so liquid and popular and although they carry a buy premium, they also have a sell premium.

Here is what I would do: I would buy some of both. I love "junk" half dollars, specifically Franklins. It would be Franklin halves and ASE's for me. ASE' store much more compactly though. You get a box of 500 and you could probably throw some old paint on the box, put some dirt and grime on it and just store it in the garage and no one would know what was inside or even care to look. :)

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like having both until I can't lift the box by myself. New money goes to rarity or beauty, ideally both.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiftysevener said:

This assumes a lot of facts not in evidence. It depends on the price you have to pay and the price you get when you sell. You can buy 90% by weight. And if the Eagles are carrying a $2 or $3 premium per ounce when you buy them, you need a 10%+ move in silver just to break even.

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whatever you decide, be sure you have an "exit strategy" BEFORE you get in too deep.

And test your strategy!

For instance, do you have a local coin store that buys 90% junk silver? Or maybe a pawn shop that pays well for ASEs? Or maybe you're thinking ebay? Craigslist? Coin shows? Big online dealers? Yard sale?

You won't know the problems until you actually try to sell -- especially if you're far north of $10,000.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2019 10:45PM

USA ASE, Niue Turtle, Niue Darth Vader Coin, Niue Star Wars Trooper, Mexico Libertad, GB Britannia.

Prefer nice shiny one oz coins. Blew out 99 pct silver long ago when peaked in 2011. Prefer simplicity not having to constantly input ASW for non 1 oz coins.

I don’t go to coin shops (already have an online one) / have eBay store, setup at shows.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a weakness for 90% halves. Meaty Walkets and Franklins. Pretty easy to pick up at local shops when there isn’t much to buy or I have a few bucks left over after a purchase.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file