Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1933-S WLH special strike or counterfeit. One more kick to a dead horse?

2»

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

@CaptHenway said:

@MrEureka said:

@RogerB said:
    In all instances of something this unusual - and the "coin" has no comparable WL half of any date, mint or production type - the burden of proof is with the suspect specimen. All comments are immaterial pending professional, independent authentication.

:)

Roger - Just because you are unaware of anything similar does not mean that it doesn't exist. And in this case, it does exist, I've seen it, I know the provenance and I think it's real.

“Similar.” Same date or different date?

Same mint. Same era. Different denomination. More obvious.

Gosh I hope it's a 1934-S High Relief Type of 1921 but with Sword Reverse Matte Proof!
    o:)

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or not.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2019 4:15PM

MrE

My sincere complements in your offer to help (again). In as much as we may hope that the owner will reach out... and perhaps they already did and obtained the desired opinions. Given the views expressed herein as well as in the initial thread about this coin, I suspect there is a chance hell may freeze over before we hear anything further. And don't place blame with the owner... just place yourself in the shoes of the owner before re-reading these two threads.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on the images, my vote is that the coin is genuine. And if the reported price realized is accurate, it’s highly likely that two or more bidders were betting on a very high grade business strike or a specimen strike of some sort.

Walkers of that date can be found with exceptional strikes. Even considering that, however, the images (including the apparent texture of the surfaces) make me suspect that the coin might be something out of the ordinary.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

I assumed based on other experts the coin was not worth the bids; I will defer to the experts and apologize for any misunderstandings or hurt feelings which is never my intention to cause.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2019 6:32PM

Yeah 33-S and 34-P coins come with super hand strikes... The half dollar mint crew had nothing to do for 4-5 years but to adjust the presses and eat snickers ;)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file