Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Looking for some insight/opinions of when and when not to allow a qualifier

I don't have any sets on the registry although from my understanding, a card with a qualifier is "worth" 2 grades lower. Correct me if i am wrong.

I mentioned that as a reference only. When it comes to grading cards that are most likely going to be flipped, do you have a numerical grade reduction that you use in deciding whether or not to let PSA put the qualifier on? For example, you have a card that is a PSA 9 all day (i.e 4 razor corners, flawless surface etc), but the centering is worse than 75/25. Theoretically, this should be a 5 at best. Are you asking for a qualifier on this one because you do not want to risk dropping 4 grades? Whereas, the same card with slightly worse than 65/35, should be an easy 7 with a good chance at an 8.

Does that "2 grades lower" value of the registry play a part in your decision?

Its not easy to view completed sales to get an accurate comparison as not all PSA 9 o/c are similar (some would be straight 8's while others would be straight 5's)

Sorry for all the rambling, I'm just curious if you have a steadfast rule or do you take it card by card as there are some accepted qualifiers, in the market, for particular cards.

thanks for any and all input, Tom

Comments

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always ask for no qualfiers. I am personally not a fan of them. It is like a chick that is a buttaface. Just place the grade that it really is on it is how I feel.

In terms of dropping four points for 75/25 centering I have never heard of that happening on an otherwise mint card. If it has dagger sharp corners you are getting a PSA 7 in almost all cases.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2019 4:56AM

I think among collectors you’ll find qualifiers are fairly unpopular for the most part. Though it can depend greatly on the card.
    Because grading is a blend of subjective and objective standards, I do think it’s possible to land in the sweet middle ground.

In your specific example, if you believe that it’s a likely 9 o/c but is very sharp (which most collectors will price as a 7) you should consider that there is the possibility that the appeal of the card earns it a ‘non qualified’ grade of 7+ or even 8. Either sells for more than a 9 o/c in most cases.

And in your ‘worst case’ scenario where it comes back ‘5’ and you are crushed, you can then resubmit the card for a qualifier and see if it does better.

But I think you should try for the more desirable outcome first, you know?

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• dictoresno1dictoresno1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

I would prefer a straight grade every time over a qualifier. when selecting cards for my T206 Highlanders team set, I specifically choose non qualifier cards, even if it costs me more or even a lower grade.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a fan of qualifiers tho I have many.

I did take an NQ to take an 8OC to a 7.

One thing tho - an 8OC potentially tells the viewer what they're looking at less the centering. If one saw [an NQ] a PSA 3 - one has to take way more time getting an impression of the card.

Now, if one is totally turned off by bad centering? The corners would probably be irrelevant?

Mike
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are going to be selling always ask for no qualifiers. You will always lose some potential buyers if there is a qualifier.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the input. However, I don't understand why several members say that an otherwise gorgeous PSA 9 o/c will most likely be a straight 7 even with centering in the PSA 5 grade parameter. Sorry, Maybe I used the wrong centering in my original post. Assume the centering is 85/15 or worse. Are you still getting a 7 with that?

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2019 6:21PM

No.

PSA 5 to PSA 6 is probably where you land with 85/15.

That is really severe OC.

In my experience I would get a PSA 8 OC and if no qualifiers a PSA 6.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me it kind of depends on the card, some vertical cards do not look too bad if they are 50-50 side to side and OC towards the top,

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set