New items and direction for my collection - unopened racks from the 70’s

KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 11, 2019 10:57PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Happy New Year everyone. There have been some great pickups on the December and January posts, and like I mentioned in the 2019 goals thread I am adding some new items and focus to my collecting. For the last few years I have been picking up Mantle's primarily along with other HOF cards like Aaron, Mays, Bench, and Ryan.

Been looking at picking up some nice 70’s racks with stars/rookies showing after seeing some neat ones at the National along with some late 60’s/early 70’s PSA wax packs. A couple of weeks ago I was able to pick up privately a really nice 75 rack, and then within 10 days I was offered another one and then another one. Missed on a 4th. Really excited to find the 75 racks, and probably going to try and add a 78 rack with Murray on top, a 79 rack with Ozzie on top. Would love to find a 74 rack with Ryan on top, a 75 rack with Aaron on top, and a 76 with Bench on top - basically any rack from 68 -77 with Bench on top is on the list.

Below are the recent pickups:

75 Brett rookie in top, 75 Bench in middle rack, 75 Lynn rookie on top and Nolan Ryan on bottom of the pack.

Comments

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 22,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice pickups Keith and that's a worthy project.

I usually pick up some kind of unopened at the National myself.

Best of luck with your project and hunt buddy.

Mike

• jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 877 ✭✭✭✭

Great looking racks! That Bench looks dead centered too 😎

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

Those are beautiful. I dream of adding a '75 rack to my collection. Some day. Some day. Until then, I love looking at the ones you guys pick up. Congrats, Keith!

Andy

Andy

• craig44craig44 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭✭

Those are some great pickups. Good luck with the hunt!

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2019 7:21AM

Well done Keith. That Bench is incredible. Congrats. Looking forward to following your progress.

• robert67robert67 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

Those are awesome!

Good luck with the new direction.

• BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭

Great start to your new project. Those are great looking racks.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 497 ✭✭✭✭

Double thumbs up!! Wise pickups!!

• grote15grote15 Posts: 26,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome racks, KC! Enjoy!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 597 ✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2019 10:45AM

Keith...

I like the Brett and Bench racks! You don't need any wax packs from the 60s...your a 70s guy. I need the 67 and 69 packs for my run...so we might have to go toe to toe on those. :wink:

mintonlypls
  • CWCW Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Very cool, Keith! Happy New Year! B)

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭✭

So beautiful! Congrats

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    Keith...

I like the Brett and Bench racks! You don't need any wax packs from the 60s...your a 70s guy. I need the 67 and 69 packs for my run...so we might have to go toe to toe on those. :wink:

Monte

You are safe on your 67 and 69 packs. If I did a pack it would be from my birth year of 1968, and what a hoot it would be to find a 1968 rack pack that is legit. Otherwise I would like a 71 rack, couple of 73’s, 74’s, and 76’s.

KC

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2019 6:15AM

The only packs I am missing to have an example of every unopened baseball pack from 1971-1982 are all the 1971 packs. And the way it looks I will never get them, because current pricing is silly.

• RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

Keith, Congrats on the new passion and collecting focus for 2019. I love what you have been able to pick up so far and look forward to seeing new ones as you pick them up.

Matt
    I collect: Mickey Mantle, Mike Trout and 86 Fleer Basketball

@PaulMaul said:
    The only packs I am missing to have an example of every unopened baseball pack from 1971-1982 are all the 1971 packs. And the way it looks I will never get them, because current pricing is silly.

Correct - 71 costs as much as the rest of the 70’s packs combined. I had everyone 70’s pack in PSA holders but 1971, and spending $2500-3000 for the one pack seemed a little off. Ended up abandoning the run of packs. What I like about the racks is you can see who is in top and bottom, and just something about a Brett or Schmidt or Murray rookie looking out at you from one of the windows that is appealing. I am still picking up Mantle’s, Aaron’s, finishing my high end Johnny Bench run... plus a centered Jordan rookie, and the racks give me something else to focus on. They also keep you from buying stuff you don’t need due to boredom and overpaying.

Matt - thank you for the nice comments on the packs and hope you are finding some nice stuff out there as well with your Collection.

KC

• Kc- thought you were hunting down a PSA 9 Jordan RC. I am not a big fan of BkBall either, but having seen the Curry, Hardin, Lebron and etc on the rise, might be a considered a 'investment', but not one for my PC.
    Always love the Mick cards. And i'm falling for the pre-war stuff more & more these days. Good Luck with the new goals. Grote is really good on that stuff.

Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)

Jordan rookie is still on the table in a PSA 9 if centering is close to 50/50. That along with a few Mantles and some unopened stuff. I am working on the display area in the Man Cave where I can put out singles, packs... Since i have a run of empty Topps wax boxes from 1968-1976 I am thinking of possibly doing the following. Buying several 1976 Topps was packs PSA graded or from a reputable dealer or collector (10-15 of them) and breaking them out, and then putting them in one of my extra 1976 wax boxes to display like it was back in a 7-11/drug store back in 1976.

KC

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 260 ✭✭✭

If that Freddie Lynn was in my neighborhood growing up, no way it stays unopened. You could have traded it for anything. That was THE card.

Now I want one and I don’t focus on unopened. Damn it.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 26,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 75 rack looks awfully familar... ;)

Enjoy, KC!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

👍. 😄

• BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭

If that came from Tim, you know you got a nice minty rack. KC those colors and header really make that rack pop . Congrats!!

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON

lol Grote Mart

@BPorter26 said:
    If that came from Tim, you know you got a nice minty rack. KC those colors and header really make that rack pop . Congrats!!

IMO anything from Tim is like having a BBCE sticker on it but better. There is absolutely no question they would be legit and clean - this one looks amazing.

KC

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 22,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another nice pickup Keith.

Ya know? I wish I had done a "rack run" back around 1990 when it didn't cost a kidney to do so.

Mike

• krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 305 ✭✭✭

Nice racks! I just picked up a few racks for the first time. I have a 84T with Mattingly on top on the way. He's a little OC, but better than others I have seen.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

@Stone193 said:
    Another nice pickup Keith.

Ya know? I wish I had done a "rack run" back around 1990 when it didn't cost a kidney to do so.

Thanks Mike. I hope the budget lasts until Chicago this summer 😉

KC

Let’s be honest for a second. Nothing beats a nice rack.