Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coin or series you have difficulty grading?

HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed on another thread someone mentioned having trouble with Peace Dollars. For me one has always been Washington Quarters. Not sure why. A lot of collectors say Buffalo Nickels. What do you struggle with? And are circ vs unc different for any of them?

Comments

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

I struggle with Rim issues on St Gaudens $20 gold pieces... Is it filed? Is it "mount removed" Or is it just soft gold being banged around on a mint state coin?

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just about any series that weakly struck pieces in MS condition.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Most things in better MS (63-67). Sometimes I think the TPGs just pull a number out of a hat.

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

Standing liberty quarters. I don’t collect gold, but the incuse Indians mentioned above are impossible for me to grade from pics.

• CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Almost everything under XF40. I pretty much only collect MS coins.

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WildIdea said:
    2.5 and 5 dollar indian gold.

Same here, not only have trouble grading them but I even have trouble determining if they are genuine. The majority of my US gold was purchased prior to third party grading and the only $5 Indian I purchased (for my type set) was counterfeit. The good news is I only paid $67 way back when and I sold it for $300 melt when it came back from NGC a couple of years ago. Fortunately the $2 1/2 I bought for the type set graded MS64 at the same time.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• @Elmhurst said:
    Most things in better MS (63-67). Sometimes I think the TPGs just pull a number out of a hat.

I’m with you - 63 to 64 I’m ok with but 64-65 seems like pretty much a judgement call - how many hits and how severe. 65 to 66 also seems ok - 66 has to be pretty much large-hit-free in focals. Then 66-67 I have no clue. Also the plus grades - think they are for attractive look and nice strike? Again seems like a judgement thing.

• ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭

Indians, I have them graded so I can make fun of those idiot TPGs. I'm a legend in my own mind, just ask me if you don't think so😌

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

gold coin and weakly struck coin. that's just me

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Incuse Indians seem to be tough for lots of people myself included. On Buffs I struggle with wear v weak strike.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Standing Liberty Quarters. I usually undergrade them, in the circulated grades.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anything OTHER than $2 1/2 Indians. I guess because I really don't collect anything else, so I have no idea what they are supposed to look like in MS, lol.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

$2 1/2 & $5 Indians.

So tough, for me

Frank

BHNC #203

• WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

$2.50 and $5 Indians for me too.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2019 2:10PM

I'm okay grading Morgan dollars and Mercury dimes. I'm usually within a point or two at the most. Everything else is a real crap shoot for me with 10+ point swings.

• toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

US coinage in general, Buffalos and Jeffersons in particular, since that is mostly what I collect. It seems grading Buffalos can change with each year having its own neuances

• Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins with incuse design

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mint state Franklin halves.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

@Hallco said:
    I noticed on another thread someone mentioned having trouble with Peace Dollars. For me one has always been Washington Quarters. Not sure why. A lot of collectors say Buffalo Nickels. What do you struggle with? And are circ vs unc different for any of them?

That was probably me. I am learning slowly, but still stink at it. :D

Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • batumibatumi Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭

As a previous poster posted, weakly struck coins. I pretty much just avoid them.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2019 9:45PM

I have problems grading coins in rare series that are net graded and would be ungradable in other series.

The following is a problem free VF25 but when I see the scratches, I immediately think damaged.

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anything gold.

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everything

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the weakly struck ms coins. I think it's because I have no interest in them so I don't try to learn it.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Coins that wear will like Washington Quarters or 2 1/2 Indians. The differences between VG and VF are subtle.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file