Coinfacts New Layout

ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 10,908 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone noticed the new layout in Coinfacts when you click on a date? It looks more "generic" than the old layout. My initial reaction is the prior layout was easier on the eyes, but maybe I just need to get used to the new one. But I don't think the new one is an improvement, at least at this point.

Comments

  • robecrobec Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

    There is a thread on the degradation of the new CoinFacts in progress
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1012008/coin-facts#latest

  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The NEW layout is far slower to use.
    Looks like another outfit fell victim to the "Hey, let's change stuff for the hell of it" syndrome.

    I marvel at what websites do to "Improve" things. :s

  • cardinalcardinal Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I visit CoinFacts frequently, and the front page is a very recent development. I say, let's give them some slack as they complete the updates, as there is a lot going on in the background. While you can't see it from the front page, for example, you can actually access so-called dollars, civil war tokens, rulau tokens, medals, and others, and you can view all of the photos of those that were taken by PCGS.

  • robecrobec Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @cardinal said:
    and you can view all of the photos of those that were taken by PCGS.

    Link?

  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Just like the HA.com changes, this is another I will eventually learn to like or at least get used to using.

  • cardinalcardinal Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @robec said:

    @cardinal said:
    and you can view all of the photos of those that were taken by PCGS.

    Link?

    For now, you need to link through the PCGS Pop Report -

    https://www.pcgs.com/pop/uscoins

    So, for example, if you click that link, then go down to "Miscellaneous" at the bottom right, you can choose a category. Then click that category, and voila! Click on any of the PCGS numbers on the left, and it takes you to that item in CoinFacts format, and you can click further to see ALL of the photos for the PCGS number.

    Doing that using PCGS coin #525238, you see this:

  • robecrobec Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @cardinal said:

    @robec said:

    @cardinal said:
    and you can view all of the photos of those that were taken by PCGS.

    Link?

    For now, you need to link through the PCGS Pop Report -

    https://www.pcgs.com/pop/uscoins

    So, for example, if you click that link, then go down to "Miscellaneous" at the bottom right, you can choose a category. Then click that category, and voila! Click on any of the PCGS numbers on the left, and it takes you to that item in CoinFacts format, and you can click further to see ALL of the photos for the PCGS number.

    Doing that using PCGS coin #525238, you see this:

    Not one of the links shows more than 3 photos either.

  • CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Seriously how beneficial can it be just seeing the top 3 grades for any particular issue? Not a fan.

  • cardinalcardinal Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @robec said:

    @cardinal said:

    @robec said:

    @cardinal said:
    and you can view all of the photos of those that were taken by PCGS.

    Link?

    For now, you need to link through the PCGS Pop Report -

    https://www.pcgs.com/pop/uscoins

    So, for example, if you click that link, then go down to "Miscellaneous" at the bottom right, you can choose a category. Then click that category, and voila! Click on any of the PCGS numbers on the left, and it takes you to that item in CoinFacts format, and you can click further to see ALL of the photos for the PCGS number.

    Doing that using PCGS coin #525238, you see this:

    Not one of the links shows more than 3 photos either.

    Regarding the tokens, not many of the submitters pay for photography from PCGS, so that might be the reason that only 3 are shown. As far as those tokens, most everyone of the photos were taken from my submissions, and I don't believe I've submitted more than three specimens of any one token.

    I can tell you, though, if you go into the foreign pop reports, and click through them the same way, you will find TONS of photos. (I couldn't even count how many of the early 1900's Canadian gold coins were pictured.)

  • cardinalcardinal Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @CommemKing said:
    Seriously how beneficial can it be just seeing the top 3 grades for any particular issue? Not a fan.

    For the Miscellaneous categories, maybe their values are such that only the top graded one wanted them photo'd. Among the foreign coins, there are thousands of photos of a wide variety of grades.

  • robecrobec Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @cardinal said:

    @CommemKing said:
    Seriously how beneficial can it be just seeing the top 3 grades for any particular issue? Not a fan.

    For the Miscellaneous categories, maybe their values are such that only the top graded one wanted them photo'd. Among the foreign coins, there are thousands of photos of a wide variety of grades.

    Could you show us a screen shot of any page that shows more than 3 photos of a particular coin.........or a link to a page if you're not able to send a screen shot.

  • cardinalcardinal Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @robec said:

    @cardinal said:

    @CommemKing said:
    Seriously how beneficial can it be just seeing the top 3 grades for any particular issue? Not a fan.

    For the Miscellaneous categories, maybe their values are such that only the top graded one wanted them photo'd. Among the foreign coins, there are thousands of photos of a wide variety of grades.

    Could you show us a screen shot of any page that shows more than 3 photos of a particular coin.........or a link to a page if you're not able to send a screen shot.

    Here's an example:

    Go to the Pop page of PCGS#526029, and you get this:

    Notice the link beneath the first photo? Click it and you get this:

  • robecrobec Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @cardinal said:

    @robec said:

    @cardinal said:

    @CommemKing said:
    Seriously how beneficial can it be just seeing the top 3 grades for any particular issue? Not a fan.

    For the Miscellaneous categories, maybe their values are such that only the top graded one wanted them photo'd. Among the foreign coins, there are thousands of photos of a wide variety of grades.

    Could you show us a screen shot of any page that shows more than 3 photos of a particular coin.........or a link to a page if you're not able to send a screen shot.

    Here's an example:

    Thank you! :)

    Evidently it isn't a privacy issue with foreign coins. We need that link back for US Coins.

  • cardinalcardinal Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

    OMG!! It seems that the roll-out is in stages, and when I checked CoinFacts just now, damn! As of my earlier post, everything was basically fine. Now, almost everything is gone, except the introductory info for each series. I don't think this is permanent, but just CoinFacts getting an overhaul with a newly designed structure! Hopefully they get it back on track toot suite!!

  • robecrobec Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @cardinal said:
    OMG!! It seems that the roll-out is in stages, and when I checked CoinFacts just now, damn! As of my earlier post, everything was basically fine. Now, almost everything is gone, except the introductory info for each series. I don't think this is permanent, but just CoinFacts getting an overhaul with a newly designed structure! Hopefully they get it back on track toot suite!!

    Ooops. Looks like the screenshot wasn't a good idea after all. Sorry.

  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2019 5:46PM

    As an aside -
    --Never mind---

  • cardinalcardinal Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @robec said:

    @cardinal said:
    OMG!! It seems that the roll-out is in stages, and when I checked CoinFacts just now, damn! As of my earlier post, everything was basically fine. Now, almost everything is gone, except the introductory info for each series. I don't think this is permanent, but just CoinFacts getting an overhaul with a newly designed structure! Hopefully they get it back on track toot suite!!

    Ooops. Looks like the screenshot wasn't a good idea after all. Sorry.

    Not all is lost. Accessing the CoinFacts data through the Population Reports still works!

  • OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭✭

    @cardinal said:

    @robec said:

    @cardinal said:
    OMG!! It seems that the roll-out is in stages, and when I checked CoinFacts just now, damn! As of my earlier post, everything was basically fine. Now, almost everything is gone, except the introductory info for each series. I don't think this is permanent, but just CoinFacts getting an overhaul with a newly designed structure! Hopefully they get it back on track toot suite!!

    Ooops. Looks like the screenshot wasn't a good idea after all. Sorry.

    Not all is lost. Accessing the CoinFacts data through the Population Reports still works!

    For now.

    Sshhhhh.

  • jwittenjwitten Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @OriginalDan said:

    @cardinal said:

    @robec said:

    @cardinal said:
    OMG!! It seems that the roll-out is in stages, and when I checked CoinFacts just now, damn! As of my earlier post, everything was basically fine. Now, almost everything is gone, except the introductory info for each series. I don't think this is permanent, but just CoinFacts getting an overhaul with a newly designed structure! Hopefully they get it back on track toot suite!!

    Ooops. Looks like the screenshot wasn't a good idea after all. Sorry.

    Not all is lost. Accessing the CoinFacts data through the Population Reports still works!

    For now.

    Sshhhhh.

    I still have a backdoor bookmarked for finding the old way ebay displayed sells history. I hope they never find out and delete it! Come on PCGS, please change this back!

  • WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Change it back to the old way pcgs! You are driving away all your traffic. With this new change, i have no reason to ever visit coinfacts again. You managed to make coinfacts completely and totally useless.

Sign In or Register to comment.