Coin Facts

AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone able to get "All Coins" showing pics of all the Trueview grades or just a few pics of the top coins?

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AuroraBorealis said:
    Anyone able to get "All Coins" showing pics of all the Trueview grades or just a few pics of the top coins?

Well that is interesting. The sites been updated.

I can see what I select and a random test only displaysthe top three.

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same here.

• WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree ... a huge downgrade. CoinFacts has now become useless.

• robecrobec Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geez, put the old CoinFact up. This is a huge step backwards.

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Verified, this happened in the last couple hours as this morning I could get them all. I suspect that they are redoing Coin Facts and that the link to see all of the True Views of a given coin will be added as they revise.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with - Boosibri, lkeigwin, TomB, CRO, EagleEye, ianrussell (@GC), ThePennyLady, Broadstruck, coinsarefun, Type2, jom, ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief, Driggs, Barndog, EXOJUNKIE, WDP, RYK, tdiaz1979, ldhair, Dawg144

Hard Times Everyman Bust Quarters

Hard Times Early Quarters

Hard Times Everyman Barber Quarters

PQ Coins For Sale
  • AblinkyAblinky Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

The interface looks nice; but I agree, not being able to see all the photos is a huge negative.

Andrew Blinkiewicz

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2019 5:07AM

This used to be a URL that would get you all images (it is redirected to the 3 top graded now):
    http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/CoinImages.aspx?s=4340

It might be a result of the Q&A session where at least one person was concerned about Population counts,
    based on seeing multiple images of the same coin on regrades.

@messydesk said:
    What measures is PCGS taking to keep population reports accurate, especially at the higher end of the populations where > there are many resubmissions of the same coin showing in CoinFacts images, all as valid certs?
    @BrettPCGS said:
    Cleaning up images on CoinFacts is high on the to-do list. I’ve heard loud and clear (and seen for myself) that there’s some stale images on there as well as some images that are miscategorized.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12191232/#Comment_12191232

There is a "feedback" link on each page - I'll try using it.
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1848-o-h10c/4340#cfcomment

PCGS has probably considered this before, but one solution to avoid double counting a coin on resubmissions is to have a column in the database for a future or past CERT/ID number. Probably best is to have it be a Future CERT, and then you do not count any coins which have a future CERT. The photos display could also have a check box to optionally suppress past photos for coins that have more than one.

• AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the feedback as I was wondering if i was missing something in the upgrade which looks great! I am thinking it is an over-site while they iron things out...

• OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

The new CoinFacts is AWFUL........reminds me of the version for mobile devices. PCGS has some explaining to do.

OINK

Even the mobile version has changed. Whereas before you had a choice of viewing the PCGS ValueView page or the gallery of images. Now you only get the ValueView page.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2019 10:08PM

It appears that I am not the only one who is not digging the change to CoinFacts. Are the powers that be picking up on this @BrettPCGS ? @HeatherBoyd ?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur...

PCGS DANSCO 7070 Modified Set
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/alltimeset/142105
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2019 10:08PM

duplicate post :#

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur...

PCGS DANSCO 7070 Modified Set
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/alltimeset/142105
  • OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

GREAT Timing PCGS........just before the FUN auction which is tomorrow. I may just pass the whole auction as I have no market comparisons that make any sense. For me it becomes a Blind auction as an online bidder.

OINK

• northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    GREAT Timing PCGS........just before the FUN auction which is tomorrow. I may just pass the whole auction as I have no market comparisons that make any sense. For me it becomes a Blind auction as an online bidder.

OINK

Maybe that was the intent?

@oih82w8 said:
    It appears that I am not the only one who is not digging the change to CoinFacts. Are the powers that be picking up on this @BrettPCGS ? @HeatherBoyd ?

Adding @PCGSDev

• earlycoinsearlycoins Posts: 235 ✭✭✭

Removing our ability to cull out multiple appearances of the same coin, at least in situations of rarity and low pops of 18th / 19th century pieces, is a major step backwards.

• Horrible “enhancements”. Horrible choice.

• BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭

At least I am not the only one. Coinfacts has just become virtually useless for my purposes. it used to be one of my favorite sites. If the change in Coinfacts is any indication of the new changes at PCGS, I think we are in for some interesting times.

TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was a poorly thought out decision if permanent.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

Usually when something is changed around like this someone is trying to build their career and resume by "improvements". That is unfortunate in the internet age when quality technology and systems evolve usually gradually. HA would never change out their system suddenly without running it by their top professionals.

• chesterbchesterb Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

It’s one thing to change the website design by adding enhancements and new functionality which are made to improve the site. This just looks like just a change in design with a loss of functionality.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2019 9:19AM

@yosclimber said:
    This used to be a URL that would get you all images (it is redirected to the 3 top graded now):
    http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/CoinImages.aspx?s=4340

It might be a result of the Q&A session where at least one person was concerned about Population counts, based on seeing multiple images of the same coin on regrades.

@messydesk said:
    What measures is PCGS taking to keep population reports accurate, especially at the higher end of the populations where there are many resubmissions of the same coin showing in CoinFacts images, all as valid certs?
    @BrettPCGS said:
    Cleaning up images on CoinFacts is high on the to-do list. I’ve heard loud and clear (and seen for myself) that there’s some stale images on there as well as some images that are miscategorized.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12191232/#Comment_12191232

There is a "feedback" link on each page - I'll try using it.
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1848-o-h10c/4340#cfcomment

PCGS has probably considered this before, but one solution to avoid double counting a coin on resubmissions is to have a column in the database for a future or past CERT/ID number. Probably best is to have it be a Future CERT, and then you do not count any coins which have a future CERT. The photos display could also have a check box to optionally suppress past photos for coins that have more than one.

Be careful what you ask for?

I’d like to think getting coins on to PCGS CoinFacts for reference was a big driver for crossing and getting TrueViews. I wanted to get So-Called Dollars and Civil War Tokens added to PCGS CoinFacts for a better record but without the listing, this wouldn’t be as useful.

Hopefully this is just a short term thing and it will be added back soon.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2019 9:42AM

I had to go and look.. Sure enough, they changed it and I don't like it either. :s

• fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2019 10:27AM

I love change - not. This stinks no more looking at beautiful Trueviews.

Is the edit button next?

"It's not that life is short but that you're dead for so long"
  • WCCWCC Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

I haven't looked at it yet. I primarily use it to check the survival estimates and get an idea of the top quality survivors where the estimates are quite low, whether for the mintage or absolutely. I use this data for comparison purposes versus the coins I collect as another data point.

Survival estimates for many coins make no sense. An example is the 21-P and 21-D Mercury dime. No way those estimates are accurate.

• NicNic Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭✭

Went to use Coin Facts today at the FUN Show.

Disappointed to say the least. Would be glad to restore my old monthly payment account.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they did not continue to change the format, the computer programmers would not have anything to do. By the time they get done fixing their improvements, it might be better.

• cointimecointime Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭

I check the link "Most Recent Changes" everyday to view the new TV and keep on top of new coins graded with TV. As the OP pointed out - that link is gone, no where in all the new link drop downs. All I can say is I'm disappointed :(

Think it is still a work in progress... have found a few dead image links.

• WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

What pcgs did reminds me a bit of this scenario

someone buys a car they love, its useful and fun

Then one night, the manufacterer sneaks into their driveway,
    Repaints the car, but removes the steering wheel and steering column

In the morning you find a note on your car:

‘Congratulations, we have refurbished you car, its now new and improved”

It looks nice on the outside, but you never drive it again

• TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 257 ✭✭✭✭

PCGS really dropped the ball with this “improvement “ to Coinfacts. By removing the images of the top coins in a given grade they have devalued the site. Please return them ASAP!

• cucamongacoincucamongacoin Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭

Agreed, this is a terrible developement. i thought my tech impaired self was missing something. Coinfacts, priceguide, and pops are the nuclear triad

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY
  • cucamongacoincucamongacoin Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2019 1:06PM

Next step, back to charging for usage?

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY
    edited January 11, 2019 1:31PM

@deefree49 said:

Now you can only see the top 3 coins and now research is hindered.

It isn't necessarily the "top 3" coins. Only the last 3 graded at the highest grade. There could be a dozen at that grade that we won't get to see as it stands now, with many having more eye appeal.

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was in no way an improvement. Too little experience to be making changes so soon. Slow down and understand before making them.

• mach1nemach1ne Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭✭

I also noticed that the CoinFacts Most Recent Changes page (where you see the TrueViews taken that day) is now gone.

It used to be this link: pcgscoinfacts.com/MostRecent.aspx?mr=1&level=2

www.MonsterCoinz.com | Luminescent Lincolns Registry Set

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten. I have always wanted to ask, you aren't Jason Witten the ex Cowboys star tight end are you? I know, im stupid for asking.

• MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 491 ✭✭✭

I used the "all photos" option to get a feel for which dates of Morgan dollars had a lack of coins with nice color. Not perfect, but better than nothing.

• NicNic Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭✭

Burn the books?