Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

should i use Nic a Date

coinzzzcoinzzz Posts: 46 ✭✭✭
edited January 10, 2019 11:08AM in U.S. Coin Forum

a youtuber uses nick a date to see dates on nickels he states that unless you have something very valuable dont do use it do you agree or should you not use it at all on old coins

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO, do not use corrosives on coins.

Ferric Chloride

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2019 11:30AM

I myself would NEVER pay a premium for a rare dateless overdate buff or even a SLQ, that's been acid treated or attributed. I am in the boat that says leave as be and have the mystery behind them

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2019 11:46AM

As far as I know, it can turn a rare dateless coin into a damaged coin that can be identified and might have some value. But for common coins as far as I'm concerned it ruins them.

So, you can get yourself a pile of dateless Buffalos that have some small value as is, and roll the dice to see if there is anything rare in there. If not, you are left with ruined cons that are worth face value.

The real beneficiary of this situation is the maker of Nic A Date. They benefit no matter what you do or do not find. Sort of like the only sure winner in a gold rush is the guy selling the shovels.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANTLY - be sure there aren't other die markers available to identify the date.

If there is no other way to do it, there is zero harm in using Nic A Date. A dateless Buff Nickel might be worth 10 cents if you are lucky. Putting acid on it will make it worth a minimum of 5 cents. What's the risk?

A dateless silver coin is worth melt value. A silver coin treated with acid is worth melt value. What's the risk?

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANTLY - be sure there aren't other die markers available to identify the date.

This needs to be read twice.

There are cases of "dateless" buffalo nickels attributed and slabbed as is, due to die markers. And one of those is infinitely more desirable than the same coin with an acid date.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's nitric acid, what do you think?

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I'd use A-I on a steak and not Nic-A-Date.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was the only way I determined a 1918/7 at one time.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

it is a damaged coin after you use it
    it is usually used on buffalo nickels

you can pick out 1916/16 without a date
    you can pick out 1913 type 1s without date
    you can fill many spots in your buffalo book
    you can learn what they look like so you do not buy any unless you want to
    a couple will get you a few hundred if you find them .. 18/7-D, 16/16

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some have mentioned using nic-a-date on silver coins. It doesn't work on dateless SLQ's.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    Some have mentioned using nic-a-date on silver coins. It doesn't work on dateless SLQ's.

nic-a-date won't but nitric acid should

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@PerryHall said:

I've tried nitric acid without success on dateless SLQ.

• Options
    edited January 10, 2019 5:37PM

@PerryHall said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PerryHall said:

concentrated nitric acid or dilute?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=qbGaW3BsZ1U

• Options
    edited January 10, 2019 5:47PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@PerryHall said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PerryHall said:

Not sure how strong it was but I used it for testing gold. When I put a drop on a copper cent it would really fizz. While concentrated nitric acid can dissolve silver it doesn't cause the date to appear from my experience.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PerryHall said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PerryHall said:

Not sure how strong it was but I used it for testing gold. When I put a drop on a copper cent it would really fizz. While concentrated nitric acid can dissolve silver it doesn't cause the date to appear from my experience.

The date appears from differential solubility whether with acid or nic A date

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@PerryHall said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PerryHall said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PerryHall said:

The date appears from differential solubility whether with acid or nic A date

Can we see a before and after pic of an SLQ where the date was restored? This would be great for finding an 1918/7-S quarter to use as a filler in a coin album. Fortunately, a dateless 1916 can be identified by the die characteristics and it isn't necessary to restore the date..

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps add some nose grease after. Sarcasm. No. Don’t use it.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

if you enjoy doing it and its fun for you, have at it that's what this hobby is all about having fun right? plus what harm could you do to a no date nickel

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Have fun with your coins." stated by a well respected Numismatist. Go for it!

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2019 7:39PM

Actually, the chemical used in Nic-A-Date Date Restorer is Ferric Chloride.

Awhile back someone came on here asking should they treat a dateless 1916/16 Nickel with Nic-A-Date. I say why not? I do recommend practicing on a few dateless Buffs though to get a feel for knowing what you are doing before tackling something like a dateless 1916/16.

I would put my treated 1916/16 (or 1918/17-D) in a CW slab and call it good. No TPG opinion needed far as i'm concerned.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options

@mr1874 said:

Actually, the chemical used in Nic-A-Date Date Restorer is Ferric Chloride.

Awhile back someone came on here asking should they treat a dateless 1916/16 Nickel with Nic-A-Date. I say why not? I do recommend practicing on a few dateless Buffs though to get a feel for knowing what you are doing before tackling something like a dateless 1916/16.

I would put my treated 1916/16 (or 1918/17-D) in a CW slab and call it good. No TPG opinion needed far as i'm concerned.

It's unnecessary to treat the 1916/16 with nick-a-date since it can be easily identified even without the date since it's a DDO and the doubling can be seen in the feathers even on low grade specimens. I understand that the major grading services will slab these dateless coins because they have unique die characteristics.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a lot of fun doing that as a kid!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried it years ago on some dateless Buffs...3 of them... just to see how it worked... mixed results, but I really did not work at it much. I would not recommend it for coins of value. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got a horribly worn Buff that I treated with Nic-A-Date that looks really good. Date 1917. Can't even tell that it was treated, just a nice bold date popped out after Nic-A-Dating it. It's part of my Buffalo Nickel collection. I have a regular 1917 with full date to go with it as a companion piece.

As for 1916/16 being attributed as such by die markers, sure. Each to their own, for me though the fun of having a coin like this as a collector is to be able to actually see with my eyes that dramatically doubled date.

I Nic-A-Dated a big herd (about 700 pieces) of dateless Buffs awhile back. Found a number of keys, like 1913-D type 2, 1914-D and 1915-S. No 1913-S type 2 was in the dateless herd, however. Got good bucks for the keys and better dates on ebay. Otherwise, they are 10 cent coins, right?

Nic-A-Date is great stuff. A little goes a long, long ways. ;)

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file