Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2019 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemoratives (19C[A-H], B49296, B49297, B15054, 19XA1, 19XA2)

Comments

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 957 ✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:
    Ebay asking prices don't tell me much. SOLD prices tell me more. This is an interesting scenario. I'm not sure how many were sold before backorder... and it will be interesting to see how many are delivered before first strike is up. One of my 4 orders was before backorder. I've had a guaranteed offer of $150 more than issue price for that box of five. Do you take it? Wait to see if others start shipping before May? Who knows.

PCGS PR70s are selling on ebay for $600 right now...

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

I'm here to keep three pucks for my kids, but hoping to flip two to offset the cost a little, or at least to break even on the three $1 proofs.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:
    Am I the only one here who's not in this for the flip? :D

Me! :(:(:(

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2019 1:03PM

@BackroadJunkie said:

I am. I only flipped once and that was on the original 3" pucks in 2011. Was it that long ago? o:)

edit to add for clarity
    I am NOT in this Apollo buy to flip

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

2019 Congrats set and Innovation proof went to backorder status. Different from "Currently Unavailable"...you can place an order when it is backordered AND they wouldn't put a "ship by" date if it was sold out

Got five saucers and 10 of the Half sets...interested in that 100k total mintage of the Enhanced Reverse Proof Kennedy...don't like the clad thing but still a low risk shot

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dmwest said:

@jwitten said:
    Ebay asking prices don't tell me much. SOLD prices tell me more. This is an interesting scenario. I'm not sure how many were sold before backorder... and it will be interesting to see how many are delivered before first strike is up. One of my 4 orders was before backorder. I've had a guaranteed offer of $150 more than issue price for that box of five. Do you take it? Wait to see if others start shipping before May? Who knows.

PCGS PR70s are selling on ebay for $600 right now...

One, so far. A couple NGCs as well. May be outliers.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got the Clad Half Dollar.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

Are you bullsitting?

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

Lol, ......AND.......

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ordered the pucks and the special half sets today...re backordered but still available on the pucks...not believing it. IMHO...I think they wanted to avoid the outraged CW headlines, OP/ED pieces and hate mail screaming about a “9 MINUTE SELLOUT!!!”

I suspect that some of the initial backorders will be filled after duplicate and HHL violators are cleaned up...but I don’t know how only 100,000 relatively low priced issues are not already long gone...especially with a generous HHL of 5 coins in effect.

Mathematically, I’m thinking that it should have been harder to sell 70,000 expensive palladium coins with a HHL of 1 vs. these pucks where theoretically only 20,000 buyers at the limit would result in a sellout.

Just my opinion...but I suspect they’re actually gone but not listed as such to avoid the uproar.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

No sell out

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@telephoto1 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@telephoto1 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@telephoto1 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@telephoto1 said:
    Pucks are technically sold out but minorly surprised gold isn't given the mintage. Best money is quick money on the pucks while the mania persists; I predict eventually you'll be able to buy them cheap aftermarket once the fever goes away and the lemmings move on to the next hot thing.

Pucks are NOT sold out. Just not skipping till May

I know that's what it says but in my experience, "Backordered" usually means technical sell out but there's a possibility of a few available later due to expired credit card info, etc. They keep "backordered" up there to stack up enough orders to ensure a sellout.

This is not true. In the old days, they would go to wait list for the reason you state. These days they go to "currently unavailable" pending cc returns

I've seen it go both ways but no matter really. What intrigues me is that the gold, with half the mintage, isn't sold out.

Its half the mintage but more orders because of the HHL

Fair point but even with a one coin limit, you know there are undoubtedly people using multiple accounts to buy these to get first strike labels etc. There are certainly more than 50K people worldwide who are space fans that want these...

At $400+? That's actually not obvious to me

What were you expecting, a $20 over melt sale price from the mint? $418 isn't dirt cheap but it's far from onerous.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2019 1:31PM

Re my theory...by accepting excess orders up front, the Mint would avoid having to sell any remaining stock in dribs and drabs over an extended period every morning, like the palladium issue.

• Options

Until I see the pucks in person, hopefully in a few days, I can't say how they will do in the PCGS70 world.

If they are all scratched, or brushed with micro scratches when viewed from an angle, any other minor flaw, they will probably end up worth less than the Mint's price in 69 or less. But if they look good, then $$$.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

@telephoto1 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@telephoto1 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@telephoto1 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@telephoto1 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@telephoto1 said:
    Pucks are technically sold out but minorly surprised gold isn't given the mintage. Best money is quick money on the pucks while the mania persists; I predict eventually you'll be able to buy them cheap aftermarket once the fever goes away and the lemmings move on to the next hot thing.

Pucks are NOT sold out. Just not skipping till May

I know that's what it says but in my experience, "Backordered" usually means technical sell out but there's a possibility of a few available later due to expired credit card info, etc. They keep "backordered" up there to stack up enough orders to ensure a sellout.

This is not true. In the old days, they would go to wait list for the reason you state. These days they go to "currently unavailable" pending cc returns

I've seen it go both ways but no matter really. What intrigues me is that the gold, with half the mintage, isn't sold out.

Its half the mintage but more orders because of the HHL

Fair point but even with a one coin limit, you know there are undoubtedly people using multiple accounts to buy these to get first strike labels etc. There are certainly more than 50K people worldwide who are space fans that want these...

At $400+? That's actually not obvious to me

What were you expecting, a $20 over melt sale price from the mint? $418 isn't dirt cheap but it's far from onerous.

A $400 entry price decreases the interest of casual space fans

• Options

@RichR said:
    Re my theory...by accepting excess orders up front, the Mint would avoid having to sell any remaining stock in dribs and drabs over an extended period every morning, like the palladium issue.

That is a waiting list not a backorder. They are not selling excess, they are selling in advance of minting. A backorder is a backorder.

• Options

Those golds had too much mintage projected. Look at all recent modern gold commemoratives, they do not have a large collector base. Far lower sales than this expectation.

Gold has gone down about 6 years in a row and until a big rally above $1,400 or so, gold commemoratives have little interest other than one of each from hard core collectors. IMO. No high margin flips here at all except first few weeks, except maybe PR70 graded PCGS pucks.

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭✭

my hunch is that they minted 25,000 pucks to sell and waited to see demand. So probably sold a total of 50,000 pucks today incl BO.

The remaining 50,000+ will be ready by mid April and you will still be able to order all the pucks you want with HHL lifted.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options

@carew4me said:
    my hunch is that they minted 25,000 pucks to sell and waited to see demand. So probably sold a total of 50,000 pucks today incl BO.

The remaining 50,000+ will be ready by mid April and you will still be able to order all the pucks you want with HHL lifted.

I'm not sure how you put numbers on any of that. Could just as easily be 10k minted and a total of 90k sold or 30 k sold or any other number

• Options
    Schmitz7Schmitz7 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Will be interesting to see what first day sales numbers were for each of these offerings.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not a flipper either and BTW thank you for tracking this since LY. It is an interesting read to see it evolve from the very beginning :)

@BackroadJunkie said:

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2019 2:12PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@carew4me said:

I'm not sure how you put numbers on any of that. Could just as easily be 10k minted and a total of 90k sold or 30 k sold or any other number

Since the Mint can only produce 13 pucks per minute...you do the math.

"The 3-inch coins are being struck at the rate of 13 coins per minute, based on three strikes per coin at a striking speed of 39 coins per minute." Or in my math,,,approx 6,000 per day. Not sure on what day they started.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2018/12/us-mint-details-apollo-11-coin-production-challenges.all.html

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2019 2:21PM

@FullStrike said:
    The Moon Landing took place in 1969. Wouldn't a '69 graded piece be a little more appropriate than a 70 ?

I might be able to go after a 69 with smile on my face. 😎

FS,
    I am surprised others did not answer your comment first on these coin conditions and value, but yes, I agree a 69 should be worth at least a smile.

• Options

@OPA said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@carew4me said:

Since the Mint can only produce 13 pucks per minute...you do the math.

"The 3-inch coins are being struck at the rate of 13 coins per minute, based on three strikes per coin at a striking speed of 39 coins per minute." Or in my math,,,approx 6,000 per day. Not sure on what day they started.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2018/12/us-mint-details-apollo-11-coin-production-challenges.all.html

That's interesting information.

It's still not helpful to the OP in determining either number minted or number of orders placed.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,041 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got one puck for my own use, but I am glad I did not max out. I am sure some people will make a few dollars flipping, but 100,000 is a lot of pucks. The issue price alone will chase away casual purchasers who might be just as happy with the regular silver dollar or even the clad.

I had a friend all lined up to order the max but I called off the dogs as noon approached. The market for commems is still shrinking, in my opinion. The mintages keep getting smaller and smaller as interest and demand decline.

Personally, I was not totally excited about this issue since I think that most of the options will suffer the same fate as previous commems. Sure, they are unique, but so were the Baseball HOF coins...

• Options

USM06321XXX with both golds and 3 pucks still showing processing. CC hit for full amount but the "order total" in my status is 832.45...the cost of the two golds. Odd? I haven't ordered direct from the mint in about 5 years...rarely a smooth experience for me for some reason. :neutral:

• Options

@coinundrum said:
    USM06321XXX with both golds and 3 pucks still showing processing. CC hit for full amount but the "order total" in my status is 832.45...the cost of the two golds. Odd? I haven't ordered direct from the mint in about 5 years...rarely a smooth experience for me for some reason. :neutral:

Just call them and see what they say.

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

No. I purchased one of each gold and silver to keep because I like them.

I purchased a set of 5 pucks to flip.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

No getting hold of the Mint on the phone.

The live chat is unavailable. Has anyone ever seen the live chat unavailable before? Partial government shutdown or being swamped?

• Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

Either way, they blew through the allotment they had pretty fast. My guess is 30 - 50k.

@jmlanzaf said:

@carew4me said:

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got the "Order Confirmed" emails (vs. the "We Received Your Order emails) that shows 1 of each over 2 orders. My nerves won't calm down until I see 2 shipments on the way. If past is present I anticipate shipments going out later today and a lot going tomorrow.

• Options

Are the Mint production facilities shut down?!? If so, that might explain the backorder/lack of sufficient merchandise on hand and ready to ship.

Does anyone know?

• Options
    edited January 24, 2019 2:54PM

Fun fact...today, for the first time in my life...I was on the phone having one order filled by a live person while I was simultaneously online putting in a second order. Usually the phone lines are hopelessly jammed during the first minutes. She did say it was crazy busy, however!

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my orders, a single 5oz puck, was backordered.

It wasn't marked as backordered when I ordered, or on my checkout confirmation.

The two in my original order are still in the works...

• Options

@RichR said:
    Are the Mint production facilities shut down?!? If so, that might explain the backorder/lack of sufficient merchandise on hand and ready to ship.

Does anyone know?

Nope. The Mint was unaffected by the shutdown. Making money is of National Importance, donchaknow.

Further, the Mint Store is not funded by taxpayers, and is self sufficient, so it shouldn't have been affected by the shutdown even if the rest of the Mint was.

• Options

optimistic isn't he....

• Options
    tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

I got my order in at noon via phone for every coin and they arrive by the weekend. The customer service rep was very helpful. My first order didn’t go through because of system overload but when she tried again, I got a confirmation number.

• Options
    tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

My customer sales rep at noon told me the system was swamped heavier than it has been in years.

• Options

@Goldminers said:

@coinundrum said:

Yep, I had been trying for some time and finally got through. The pucks in my order are backordered. He said that there are a large number of back orders. I asked him if he knew how many pucks were available for shipment and he said that he didn't have that information, but that he had serviced many more back orders that shipped orders containing the pucks.

• Options

@coinundrum said:

@Goldminers said:

@coinundrum said:

Yep, I had been trying for some time and finally got through. The pucks in my order are backordered. He said that there are a large number of back orders. I asked him if he knew how many pucks were available for shipment and he said that he didn't have that information, but that he had serviced many more back orders that shipped orders containing the pucks.

You aren't charged for backordered items until they ship. You'll only be charged the $832 when the gold ships.

Just remember the silver can ship at any time, which will put that $675 on your card at any time.

Of my three pucks, one got backordered, two are still in process. (The order of two was placed three minutes before the backordered puck. 12:05 vs. 12:08...)

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@coinundrum said:

@Goldminers said:

@coinundrum said:

You aren't charged for backordered items until they ship. You'll only be charged the $832 when the gold ships.

Just remember the silver can ship at any time, which will put that $675 on your card at any time.

Of my three pucks, one got backordered, two are still in process. (The order of two was placed three minutes before the backordered puck. 12:05 vs. 12:08...)

Yes, it'll be interesting to see when they ship. They weren't listed as backordered when I added them to my cart. Things happened pretty quickly. :)

• Options
    ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2019 4:26PM

My Apollo 5 oz silver coins have shipped. There is a tracking number noted in my account and the status is marked shipped.
    Order # 06314xxx. Also received email with shipping notice.

• Options

It's incredible that any of you got through to cust. svc on the phone. It still goes right to busy when you press 0 for a rep and live chat is unavailable.

• Options

@tcmitssr said:
    My customer sales rep at noon told me the system was swamped heavier than it has been in years.

Yep, I was actually pretty impressed. If anyone remembers the 2014 BBHoF ordering (or the 2011 25th ASE sets, or any other popular mint product fulfilled by PBGS) this was a breeze. And there wasn't a waiting room, either. :D

The only slowdowns I noticed was the initial load of the ordering pages (can't be helped with the number of people beating at it), and credit card lookups. (Still, the CC lookups have much improved over the past couple years...) If people were more patient during that lookup, things may have run more smoothly than it did.

I wonder if they have the data on how many times some of the pages were reloaded from say, 11:59am to Noon... :smile:

• Options

Where I blew it and missed a really early order was in trying to wait for the prior screen to finish before checking the box and submitting the order. I didn't realize initially that all one had to do was to check the box and hit submit before the prior screen was done and the order would go through.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,041 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will be interesting to see what happens. I got the array of silver, and the puck put me over the $300 for free upgrade (USPS Priority Mail in my case as I use a PO Box). But, the puck was shown as backordered on my order confirmation when I checked-out.

So, will I get the shipping upgrade on any either half of my order (backlogged and non-backlogged), neither one of which is over $300 on its own? We will see...

• Options

All of my orders - even those way above $300 - show ground shipping. Assuming that the upgrade was not automatic?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file