Home U.S. Coin Forum

2019 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemoratives (19C[A-H], B49296, B49297, B15054, 19XA1, 19XA2)

Comments

• thevolcanogodthevolcanogod Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

@SkyMan said:
    Does anyone know if you have to be registered with the US Mint to order, or can you just log in and (attempt to) buy at the appointed time (giving them your address and credit card info for that one purchase)? Thank you for your response!!!

Just set up an account put in your shipping and payment info then at the appropriate time log in and purchase. Voila.

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SkyMan said:
    Does anyone know if you have to be registered with the US Mint to order, or can you just log in and (attempt to) buy at the appointed time (giving them your address and credit card info for that one purchase)? Thank you for your response!!!

You can check out as a guest.

See first question in this FAQ:
    What's the difference between a guest and registered account? How do I edit or delete my account?

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2019 3:40PM

SkyMan - To be safe set up your account today. You don't want to be messing with that on Thursday. It is bound to be a feeding frenzy at Noon EST.

lol, has anyone noticed the clock is a few seconds off?

• dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:
    lol, has anyone noticed the clock is a few seconds off?

The gov shutdown affects even time itself.

Don't quote me on that.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since the 5oz Apollo puck has a reeded edge AND it does not mention the # of oz or fineness on the obverse nor reverse then how would anyone know?

Need to keep the COA around?

Slabbed so it mentions it?

Hmmm... thinking out load.

@Hemispherical said:
    Since the 5oz Apollo puck has a reeded edge AND it does not mention the # of oz or fineness on the obverse nor reverse then how would anyone know?

Keep the CoA around. The CoA is part of the package, and without it, it's not authentic, right? Right?

Note the complaints you have can be equally applied to the other three denominations, yet you never mention them. You are being denominationist.

(Actually, it might be funny if they put "8% zinc, 92% copper" on the half...)

• dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

Note the complaints you have can be equally applied to the other three denominations, yet you never mention them. You are being denominationist.

(Actually, it might be funny if they put "8% zinc, 92% copper" on the half...)

PCGS will put Silver on the label for the Silver coins, right? I don't know about weight...but precious metal should be listed?

Don't quote me on that.

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

Buyers usually want the COA if you ever sell it raw.

Actually, I do have all the OGP (even slabbed). Only thing thrown out is the mailing boxes... on second thought, even have some of them. ;)

Just expected the PM coins to have an indicator. Oh well, will enjoy the Apollos when I get them. :)

• CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭

I don't normally buy modern mint issues, but I might actually treat myself to one of these. Which one to get...

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    The first few 5 ounce PCGS PR70s will sell for moon money... :#

I can't get this quote out of my head, now I'm calling them ALL "Moon Money"!!!!!!!!!

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dpoole said:

@Hemispherical said:

Buyers usually want the COA if you ever sell it raw.

But, of course, there's going to be 5000 COAs for sale on eBay so you can easily get a paper COA to go with your fake coin.

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

Coins don't have fineness or weight on them ( check Morgan $'s). This way the pucks are more coin looking than bullion. I like that. That is something I didn't like about the gold Mercury, Standing Liberty, and Walkers they looked like bullion.

edited January 19, 2019 9:05AM

I failed to mention that I was making a comparison with the ATB pucks. The edge lettering on the ATB’s do mention weight and fineness.

• pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭

2014 HOF Baseball Gold seem to be around issue price. I wonder if these apollo coins will follow the same path.

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    I failed to mention that I was making a comparison with the ATB pucks. The edge lettering on the ATB’s do mention weight and fineness.

They really don't need their weight and fineness inscribed. These are 3" diameter, hemispherical shaped, proof coins with a weight of 155.517 grams. Anyone with a question can toss it on a scale and confirm it.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

Why would it matter really? It only would if you are trying to sell it for silver content, which I HOPE they never get that low, lol.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Imagine if they had made a 5 oz baseball coin! That would have been incredible!!!

@Hemispherical said:

That's because the ATB pucks are the collector version of the bullion (produced solely because the Mint got PO'd at the authorized resellers who gouged the public), and the bullion version by law has to have the fineness and weight.

From the ATB law regarding the 5oz coin:

‘‘(C) have incused into the edge the fineness and weight of the bullion coin; "

And from the Mint site:

The collector (“numismatic”) version of the bullion coin is produced with an uncirculated finish.

The Apollo puck is a coin unto itself, and won't have a weight or fineness since it's not required by law.

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Hemispherical said:

That's because the ATB pucks are the collector version of the bullion (produced solely because the Mint got PO'd at the authorized resellers who gouged the public), and the bullion version by law has to have the fineness and weight.

From the ATB law regarding the 5oz coin:

‘‘(C) have incused into the edge the fineness and weight of the bullion coin; "

And from the Mint site:

The collector (“numismatic”) version of the bullion coin is produced with an uncirculated finish.

The Apollo puck is a coin unto itself, and won't have a weight or fineness since it's not required by law.

Thanks!

18 Jan - Press Release

https://www.usmint.gov/news/press-releases/united-states-mint-rolls-out-commemorative-coins-honoring-the-first-manned-lunar-landing-on-january-24

“The Mint set pricing for the gold product options according to its Pricing of Numismatic Gold, Commemorative Gold, and Platinum Products table, available here.” <—— Link is on the Mint’s website and currently points to the 2018 table.

I got an email from a dealer offering to buy the 5oz Apollo pucks (only). He's a cheapskate and I would not sell to him but the email is a good indication of where the aftermarket will be. IMO don't waste your time trying to get any other coins in your order. Get these bought then go back and place another order if you want any of the other coins.

• PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know if this has been discussed already but on the U.S. Mint webpage tucked within the item description of the 5-OZ puck is the line:

"Mintage Limit: 100,000 across all five ounce proof silver coin product options".

Has there been any indication that this coin would be offered in any other "options" than the single unit which goes on sale this week? If the expectations of a quick sell out prove true the window of opportunity for other "options" would be closed.

Have there been any other companies offering to buy the 5 ouncers? I'm trying to decide how many to get...

edited January 22, 2019 9:12AM

@jwitten said:
    Have there been any other companies offering to buy the 5 ouncers? I'm trying to decide how many to get...

GET THE LIMIT
    If they sell out the first day you'll be glad you did but like ALL mint products if you wait too long to sell you'll be the guy standing when the music stops

• nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

Anyone have a 2019 Price Grid or know (with certainty) what the Gold coins will price at?

• goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

What was the quote.?

@JimTyler said:
    I got an email from a dealer offering to buy the 5oz Apollo pucks (only). He's a cheapskate and I would not sell to him but the email is a good indication of where the aftermarket will be. IMO don't waste your time trying to get any other coins in your order. Get these bought then go back and place another order if you want any of the other coins.

@goldbuffalo said:
    What was the quote.?

@JimTyler said:

>
    $100 on a box of 5 plus your $4.95 postage.

@JimTyler said:

@jwitten said:

GET THE LIMIT
    If they sell out the first day you'll be glad you did but like ALL mint products if you wait too long to sell you'll be the guy standing when the music stops

Oh, I'm for sure getting at LEAST 5, lol. I have several accounts..

• ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭

Damn you mint I was kicking you to the curb, all your huge fancy boxes and such. Glad most are crap.👻

• jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

Going to get as many of the 5oz as I can and will keep them unless I can get $100/each over mint price which may happen

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2019 4:48PM

@JimTyler said:

@jwitten said:

GET THE LIMIT
    If they sell out the first day you'll be glad you did but like ALL mint products if you wait too long to sell you'll be the guy standing when the music stops.

In your opinion What will the 5 oz sell for when the music stop?
    $224.95. On the 24th
    $210.00 raw when the music stops? That was just a guess. I was just wondering what your thoughts were. Cause I never sell anything so I am guessing I am the ultimate LOOSER. :( Putting up the Looser L on my forehead while I look into the rear view mirror on the work truck.

@Gluggo said:

@JimTyler said:

@jwitten said:

GET THE LIMIT
    If they sell out the first day you'll be glad you did but like ALL mint products if you wait too long to sell you'll be the guy standing when the music stops.

$224.95. On the 24th
    $210.00 raw when the music stops? That was just a guess. I was just wondering what your thoughts were. Cause I never sell anything so I am guessing I am the ultimate LOOSER. :( Putting up the Looser L on my forehead while I look into the rear view mirror on the work truck.

loser not looser
    [sorry, pet peeve]

@Gluggo said:

@JimTyler said:

@jwitten said:

GET THE LIMIT

$224.95. On the 24th

If silver stays in its current range it is hard to imagine $75 worth of silver bringing over $225 in the long run.

In the short run they might well go to $300. With 100,000 available we will soon see.

edited January 22, 2019 7:15PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gluggo said:

@JimTyler said:

@jwitten said:

GET THE LIMIT

$224.95. On the 24th

loser not looser
    [sorry, pet peeve]

Thank you jmlanzaf :(:(:(:(:(
    I never graduated Jr High

@VanHalen said:

If silver stays in its current range it is hard to imagine $75 worth of silver bringing over $225 in the long run.

In the short run they might well go to $300. With 100,000 available we will soon see.

Yikes your saying my $225 investment might be with $75.00?
    Now I am Afraid.

@Gluggo said:

@VanHalen said:

Now I am Afraid.

It's never an investment. It's a hobby

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s nice to know that there are a few coins that the Mint puts out that are largely sought for collector value. Or because you really dig the design, like the Palladium eagle.
    I believe some will buy these to keep because they like the way they look.
    And if they go up in value, cool, but it isn’t a death kneel if they don’t.
    We’ve been down this road so many times and overall the result has been the same.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • One thing I would’ve loved to have seen is a commemorative $50 vertically oriented polymer note.

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

@Gluggo said:

@VanHalen said:

Now I am Afraid.

No, there will always be a premium. But you are buying $75 worth of silver.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any predictions how quickly the pucks will sell out?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    edited January 22, 2019 9:06PM

@grote15 said:
    Any predictions how quickly the pucks will sell out?

They have to sell 100,000 of them I am going to guess 58 minutes. Even at 5 pucks per house hold that’s over 1.25 K that’s a lot of money for 25 ounces of silver. B)

However if it sells out in minutes don’t blame me if you did not get yours.

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

the gold coins and the 5 ouncers will probably sell out about the same time

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:

GET THE LIMIT

$224.95. On the 24th

Hey neighbor -- PM me if you want help selling for the spoils!! NO COMMISSION or cost. Alaskans take care of each other! Take that logo off your forehead and in the toilet where it belongs. These are likely going to hit the gong in the $300+ range so I think the general consensus is "buy 'em". I will be too so little effort on my part. No guarantees of course :) . Cheers! AK

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

@nurmaler said:
    Anyone have a 2019 Price Grid or know (with certainty) what the Gold coins will price at?

My guess is $453.75 for the Proof and $443.75 for the Unc. I wish I knew though!

I emailed the guy I like selling my mint products too and he is definitely buying the 5oz pucks. We didn't talk price because I didn't want to commit too early.

• jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone with firm offer prices that are reasonable? Have not seen posts here looking to buy yet...

edited January 23, 2019 12:14PM

$418.75 for the proof gold, $408.75 for the uncirc.

Same price as last year. Original post updated.

• MACGE1MACGE1 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

Are they making 50,000 of each Uncle and Proof or is it 50,000 between the 2?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file