Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Usps shenanigans on coins delivery

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had some coins coming back from grading express. They came in significantly after the deadline or guarantee time, the delivery person entered the wrong information on when it was delivered: "Your item was delivered at the front door or porch at 11:30 am". It was delivered an hour later than that; what would be the remedy on this, do I have to get a statement from my mail provider attesting to the actual delivery time and run that by a usps supervisor?

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2019 6:50AM

Sorry I do not understand. Is not the delivery person/mail provider USPS? The USPS supervisor will use whatever was scanned by the USPS delivery person.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it makes you feel better you can go on the USPS site and open a Where's My Mail investigation and you'll get a confirmation of doing so emailed to you within a hour. You'll get a final answer in about 72-96 hours or most likely never.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

@Hemispherical said:
    Sorry I do not understand. Is not the delivery person/mail provider USPS? The USPS supervisor will use whatever was scanned by the USPS delivery person.

The delivery was falsified as to when/where it was delivered.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

They left an express on your front porch? Should have required a signature. That should be enough to raise questions. You're trying to get a postage refund over an hour? I wouldn't make a big deal over an hour and would be glad I got my package with no real problems.

• Options

I get my mail at a UPS store, never had an issue. Falsification of records in any business needs to be reported.

• Options
    edited January 10, 2019 7:12AM

@logger7 said:

@Hemispherical said:

The delivery was falsified as to when/where it was delivered.

Ok. If you want a refund: https://www.usps.com/help/refunds.htm

Here is how to find who the
    Postmaster is for your Post Office, finding a local number is a different story. https://about.usps.com/who-we-are/postmasterfinder/welcome.htm

Visiting your local post office maybe the best start, they will have a form for you to fill out.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    I get my mail at a UPS store, never had an issue. Falsification of records in any business needs to be reported.

Would the delivery person even be able to add/falsify the time? I would think that the hand held device has an internal clock.

Late delivery refund requests have to be initiated by the sender.

This might be a good one to let go.

• Options

It was on my corporate account, I emailed the corporate account supervisor. The usps delivery worker could probably change the delivery details, and that is my guess what they did late in the day, probably when back at the main local hub since though it was delivered earlier, that info didn't come up til after 6pm.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Refund claims for late delivery of express mail have to be made by the sender.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

True. As far as falsification goes, I believe that it was unintentional.

If a scan is missed by a Letter Carrier, there is discipline involved. Your package was probably scanned prior to actual delivery to make sure it was recorded.

The scanners used by the USPS delivery personnel are designed to accept the latest scan made by a delivery person, meaning that whoever delivered your package did not scan it at the time of actual delivery.

That was the mistake. The fact that you got your package, even though incorrectly scanned, is proof that delivery was made.

I guess what I'm saying is just be happy your package was delivered. There are delivery supervisors in the USPS that actually never delivered a piece of mail. Complaining will go nowhere.

Pete (36 year retired Letter Carrier)

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:

Just out of curiosity, how do you know the time lag isn't due to the UPS store?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2019 10:12AM

@logger7 said:
    It was on my corporate account, I emailed the corporate account supervisor. The usps delivery worker could probably change the delivery details, and that is my guess what they did late in the day, probably when back at the main local hub since though it was delivered earlier, that info didn't come up til after 6pm.

No run of the mill delivery worker can change the database or even the time on the scanner.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

One hour? One hour? One hour? You have my pity.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:

@Hemispherical said:

If a scan is missed by a Letter Carrier, there is discipline involved. Your package was probably scanned prior to actual delivery to make sure it was recorded.

The scanners used by the USPS delivery personnel are designed to accept the latest scan made by a delivery person, meaning that whoever delivered your package did not scan it at the time of actual delivery.

That was the mistake. The fact that you got your package, even though incorrectly scanned, is proof that delivery was made.

I guess what I'm saying is just be happy your package was delivered. There are delivery supervisors in the USPS that actually never delivered a piece of mail. Complaining will go nowhere.

They are NOT supposed to be scanned before delivery. Some carriers have units with GPS chips which can tell exactly where the carrier is/was when the package was delivered/signed for. Also my carrier says that any packages requiring a signature must be reconciled as to delivered or held when he returns from his route. I note sometimes my carrier will scan in a picked up item in real time and by the time he gets to the next house it's already showing in the tracking as picked up.

An hour late is being nitpicky, but the OP is right that if time was or could be falsified that that needs to be addressed.

• Options
    edited January 10, 2019 10:46AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@logger7 said:

No run of the mill delivery worker can change the database or even the time on the scanner.

Absolutely true! Only postal supervisors can access any scanner, and ANY change made will show up if reviewed by a superior.

Had a supervisor that was severely reprimanded for doing so. Almost was terminated. He changed the time on an Express Mail delivery to show it was delivered before 12 noon.

Pete

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

@BuffaloIronTail said:

@Hemispherical said:

They are NOT supposed to be scanned before delivery. Some carriers have units with GPS chips which can tell exactly where the carrier is/was when the package was delivered/signed for. Also my carrier says that any packages requiring a signature must be reconciled as to delivered or held when he returns from his route. I note sometimes my carrier will scan in a picked up item in real time and by the time he gets to the next house it's already showing in the tracking as picked up.

An hour late is being nitpicky, but the OP is right that if time was or could be falsified that that needs to be addressed.

I didn't say that is what happened. Just speculating. You are correct to state that it is a no no.

Pete

• Options

@BuffaloIronTail said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@BuffaloIronTail said:

@Hemispherical said:

I didn't say that is what happened. Just speculating. You are correct to state that it is a no no.

Pete

Was just making a general reply to your post since it contained what I wanted to reply to. Most of the time folks should be glad it got delivered safely and close to on time.

• Options

I went down and spoke to the postmaster. He said the usual express carrier was not doing the deliveries. So no explanation why no signature was obtained, with the business in FL who sent it to me marking that as required. He said that the FL pick up worker may not have entered that. Or why the delivery time indicated 1130 when it happened afternoon according to UPS store. No signature.

• Options

@OldEastside said:
    I ordered one of these as a kid and it took 6 to 8 weeks give or take an hour or two

Steve

In my youth I ordered a lot of similar cheap stuff from the Johnson Smith catalog, delivered via UPS, no tracking just expectation. Patience may be a virtue but it is actually based on something.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2019 12:19PM

@OldEastside said:
    I ordered one of these as a kid and it took 6 to 8 weeks give or take an hour or two

Steve

Today they would have to paint that orange so not to mistake it for the real thing.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2019 12:22PM

@OldEastside said:

Steve

Did the product meet up to the advertisement?

When my sea monkeys arrived, I was thoroughly unimpressed :o

• Options

Yeah, I got the "sea monkeys" too, weren't they like parasites or something? Ok looks like they were a variety of shrimp that would come to life with water: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea-Monkeys Also got a lot of hobby sets, books by the pound from E Haldeman Julius' prolific publishing, etc..

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was a hovercraft for kids also if I remember correctly

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@OldEastside said:

Steve

When my sea monkeys arrived, I was thoroughly unimpressed

It was Cardboard, and stayed in the backyard until the first rain of the season, it was kinda cool looking, but the hopes and dreams of Dad trailering it to the ocean and exploration like Captain Nemo were quite disappointing :smiley:

Mom wouldn't let me get the Sea Monkeys :neutral: but the Magic Rocks were cool, I did like those

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options

Then there were all the gag gifts like coins that glued to the floor; fake poop; toilet triggered voice that would say "Hey, I'm working down here!", other items that played on the senses so that otherwise powerless kids could draw attention. Imaginative; but the advertising was first class.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gimme a break over an hour! I ordered something from a company in Boulder Colorado. They only have a presence in that state. Purchase was $80, so no sales tax, okay, and free 2 day priority mail by USPS, Hooray. Package went from Boulder to Denver to Lehigh Vly Pa. to Bethlehem Pa to Harrisburg Pa to Lancaster to Philadelphia to Wash DC to Southern Md. to Philadelphia and finally to me in New Hope Pa. Took ten days and I watched the whole journey using USPS Informed delivery. I did not freak out, develop a resentment, have an anxiety attack or want to jam anyone up. People. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2019 1:26PM

@logger7 said:
    I went down and spoke to the postmaster. He said the usual express carrier was not doing the deliveries. So no explanation why no signature was obtained, with the business in FL who sent it to me marking that as required. He said that the FL pick up worker may not have entered that. Or why the delivery time indicated 1130 when it happened afternoon according to UPS store. No signature.

Your building a good case, asking questions getting answers. Are you writing this all down, getting names as you go? Have you inquired yet when you will be reimbursed for the carrier to fail to make the deadline of delivery?
    Maybe a bit premature yet but your going about it the right way. Keep at it, follow all leads.

I am watching on homeland where the CIA Carrie ( the blond ) is posting their faces of the terrorists on a board, linking time lines showing a history. That might be a good way to go at the home. Of course you will want to cover that up just in case your immediate family members start asking questions you might not want to have to share. Of course you could always go with the " Its a matter of national security ", or " Its on a need to know basis ", follow up with " I can't tell you right now "

Keep us informed and keep at it!

Ohhh I forgot!

• Options
    tonedSilvertonedSilver Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

The route postal carrier scanned the package prior to noon because express mail must be delivered prior to noon. Actual delivery was made one hour later by the carrier

Sometimes the carrier is unable to be out on the route prior to noon and supervisors don’t want to help with express packages so the work around by the carrier is scanning before noon and prior to actual delivery.

• Options

@tonedSilver said:
    The route postal carrier scanned the package prior to noon because express mail must be delivered prior to noon. Actual delivery was made one hour later by the carrier

Sometimes the carrier is unable to be out on the route prior to noon and supervisors don’t want to help with express packages so the work around by the carrier is scanning before noon and prior to actual delivery.

Someone dropped the ball. When I temporarily supervised Letter Carriers for 3 months back in the 1990's, it was a standing order that Express Mail given to a Carrier before they left the office was to be delivered FIRST, before they started the route.

Any Express maid that came in after the Mailmen left was to be delivered by ANY available employee ASAP.

Well........those WERE the rules. How the USPS does things now is beyond me.

Better read this stuff fast. We are straying beyond coin related a bit and are subject to being closed.

Pete

• Options

Since we are a bit OT... the price of stamps going to 55 cents.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@OldEastside said:

Steve

When my sea monkeys arrived, I was thoroughly unimpressed :o

How is a kid supposed to know 200 pound test fiberboard is a fancy name for cardboard box?

You really missed out if you did not get the ant farm.

• Options

@Gluggo said:

@logger7 said:

Your building a good case, asking questions getting answers. Are you writing this all down, getting names as you go? Have you inquired yet when you will be reimbursed for the carrier to fail to make the deadline of delivery?
    Maybe a bit premature yet but your going about it the right way. Keep at it, follow all leads.

I am watching on homeland where the CIA Carrie ( the blond ) is posting their faces of the terrorists on a board, linking time lines showing a history. That might be a good way to go at the home. Of course you will want to cover that up just in case your immediate family members start asking questions you might not want to have to share. Of course you could always go with the " Its a matter of national security ", or " Its on a need to know basis ", follow up with " I can't tell you right now "

Keep us informed and keep at it!

Ohhh I forgot!

>

He won't get reimbursed because he wasn't the sender. Recipients won't get reimbursed for failure to perform on time because they didn't pay anything for the service tho it may have been included in the price/cost of the item.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

In October I had four or five pieces of mail scanned as delivered (one was a prescription) but weren't in my box. I filled out the form at usps.com, and the supervisor (postmaster?) said there was nothing he could do since they were scanned delivered. I was not pleased.

Finally showed up about three weeks later.

• Options

Stuck in someone else’s box and the incorrect recipients got around to returning to the PO who finally delivered to the right box.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tomorrow's lesson, " how to convince a waiter to spit in your food, in 3 easy steps"

• Options
    Wil1858Wil1858 Posts: 52 ✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:
    You need to read a book called...

"The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life" by Mark Manson.

As this petty stuff you are focused on stress wise will shorten your life.

Bravo sir 😀

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OldEastside said:

Steve

I remember these ads well. Were usually in the back of the comic books. Black soap,X-Ray Specs,Joy Buzzers,Fly in the ice cube.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

You should thank your lucky stars that they delivered the coin at all.

For my last few purchases, where a signature is required, they don’t attempt to deliver it and indicate on the tracking that a notice was left and don’t leave one.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RYK said:
    You should thank your lucky stars that they delivered the coin at all.

For my last few purchases, where a signature is required, they don’t attempt to deliver it and indicate on the tracking that a notice was left and don’t leave one.

Yeah, I busted a few of them for that type of thing with me.....once I went up to the supervisors, and told them that I have a video doorbell that is motion activated (it is) and keeps a video recording of all actions (it does), and that absolutely NO ATTEMPT was made, I heard a few excuses but that fakery stopped.....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps the scanner didn't account for daylight savings. Lulz. 1 hour late? Why would one even worry about something that petty?

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2019 5:49AM

This is the one that disappointed all the young boys in my neighborhood !

There was just a little pinhole in the cardboard 'lens' with a little piece of a feather in it. When you looked at something it just created a little aura around the then fuzzy object. We were so disgusted.
    You can well imagine what we all thought we were going to see when these things finally arrived after many weeks.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    I had some coins coming back from grading express. They came in significantly after the deadline or guarantee time, the delivery person entered the wrong information on when it was delivered: "Your item was delivered at the front door or porch at 11:30 am". It was delivered an hour later than that; what would be the remedy on this, do I have to get a statement from my mail provider attesting to the actual delivery time and run that by a usps supervisor?

The remedy would be being happy the coins were delivered around the time promised.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was there a time zone involved? If a package is sent from Hawaii to Maine, does it have the same 2 days as a package sent from Maine to Hawaii?

What irks me is the credit card companies / whatevers that have the mailing address as
    PO Box 34345.
    Bottom of a Frozen Lake. Alaska

Mail takes a year to get there by dog sled so they can rack up late charges and interest fees.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am always happy when my packages arrive...So are my dogs... they just bark with joy when the delivery person comes... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

I was happy the express was delivered.

One issue was no signature was obtained as the usual carrier was not doing the deliveries. So the delivery person marked the expresses as delivered before coming up to town and getting them delivered. I spoke to a larger dealer locally who said that of course signatures are part of the insurance contract; so if usps is not getting signatures when they are being required and something goes missing the insurer can deny coverage.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file