Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you included inherited coins in your sets?

SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today I was going through a box of my grandpa’s things that I inherited when he passed a couple years ago and discovered some coins! I had completely forgotten they were there. At first glance they were all foreign, but then I found a little box with a couple US coins as well.

I added an 1869 Shield Nickel No Rays, and an 1882 Liberty Seated Dime w/ Legend! I’ve now got 20 coins in my Type Set that were inherited from either my Grandpa or Great Grandpa. I really enjoy the more personal connection I have, rather than just a bunch of nifty coins I bought in a store. The fact that this set was the first set I ever started when I got into coins a few years ago makes it extra special.

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

Comments

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2019 7:36PM

Yes and no - I purchased (did not inherit) my grandfather's collection from him, and it had a few coins that were his father's as well.
    I put their initials on the holders, for the ones in holders.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like you will have to pass along that set so someone else down the road can complete.....unless you have great uncles, aunts, etc that have coins to leave you.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep...have a circulated old holder of raw mercs (no keys/semi-keys) that my grandmother had from when she worked retail, decades ago. It went to my uncle, then to me, and I kept it.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2019 7:29PM

No, but in my son's type set he has a Morgan dollar given to him by his grandfather, that he inherited from his grandfather, and a Peace dollar I gave him, that came to me when it was found was found among my grandfather's things when he died. So he has side-by-side coins from his great- and great-great grandfathers in his set.

mirabela
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome! I would definite be proud to be the keeper of the family coin collection.

I don't have any inherited coins in my sets as they wouldn't be well matched. I do have some of my Dads coins and a box of coins from my Grandpa that he brought back from his WWII service in the Middle East. These I keep in a 2X2 box all their own. I think they are quite special for this one reason and don't want to co-mingle then in active sets out of fear I would forget what was Grandpas. I know I'm more nostalgic than others.

But....There are some neat ones that might make me want to start a set of and if so, I would just document the pieces as the inspiration pieces and work from there.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. I have a 1809 half-cent given to me from my grandfather in my 7070. He found it in his garden on Long Island many years ago. I bit corroded, but an interesting story and wonderful memento from my grandfather.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few that I inherited from my grandfather !!!

Timbuk3
  • Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

I gave my Mom a double eagle years ago with her birthdate year-1926. She said it eas the first one she had ever seen. Being a child growing up in the depression, she said ALL coins were scarce to them!

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't even inherit spare change

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    WALLEWALLE Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, it's what got me starting a 7070 type set. A 1851 braided hair large cent and a 1858 flying eagle cent from my father who had passed away 30 days before I was born.

• Options

I have a couple spread sheets that I keep up to date about each set that lists which were inherited and which were coins I purchased. I don't think I'll be inheriting any further coins since I already have the stash that my dad originally had and I have no living grandparents now. No one in my family collected coins, so these were all just coins they held onto in the bottom of drawer or jewelry box for one reason or another.

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

I inherited a few coins from my grandfather. One of which is a trade dollar that I used as a pocket piece.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2019 1:53PM

@SiriusBlack said:
    Today I was going through a box of my grandpa’s things that I inherited when he passed a couple years ago and discovered some coins! I had completely forgotten they were there. At first glance they were all foreign, but then I found a little box with a couple US coins as well.

I added an 1869 Shield Nickel No Rays, and an 1882 Liberty Seated Dime w/ Legend! I’ve now got 20 coins in my Type Set that were inherited from either my Grandpa or Great Grandpa. I really enjoy the more personal connection I have, rather than just a bunch of nifty coins I bought in a store. The fact that this set was the first set I ever started when I got into coins a few years ago makes it extra special.

I am sorry, but numismatic decorum demands that you can only add coins to your collection that you yourself have overpaid for on Ebay. :)

• Options

But I've never bought a coin on eBay, nor have I overpaid for a coin. I'm behind the curve!! Or ahead of it. I'm not sure which :D

@ARCO said:

@SiriusBlack said:

I am sorry, but numismatic decorum demands that you can only add coins to your collection that you yourself have overpaid for on Ebay. :)

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2019 4:05PM

Of course I include them.... I inherited about 30 raw Peace dollars, a quart sized jar of wheat cents and a small jar of mixed pre 60's nickles, dimes, quarters and halves a coupe of years ago. Face value of about $150 dollars, numismatic value of maybe a $1500 on good day. So nothing rare and not much value.

The Peace dollars made up almost half of a complete date/mm set. Some were duplicates. So I bought a Dansco album and finished it up with others that I bought of similar grades. (VF30's to XF45's) I made a list of the inherited stuff for future reference. I recently went though the wheat cents and found almost half a complete set of dates/mm's of those too. (lot's of duplicates) Someday I may complete that set too ,,,,, maybe....

I'm not sure what I'll do with the rest of the coins.

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

I inherited no coins.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one-a 1920 Standing Liberty 25c in AU58 that my dad gave to me 35 years ago.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely... I have a few coins that my Father had... some U.S., some from Europe... they are prized pieces for me. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

I inherited my grandfather's collection. Many of those I kept and treasure them fondly just for the pedigree.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

The secret to eternal life is to leave me something in your will.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2019 10:04PM

:) You are RIGHT where YOU ARE B)

@SiriusBlack said:
    But I've never bought a coin on eBay, nor have I overpaid for a coin. I'm behind the curve!! Or ahead of it. I'm not sure which :D

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2019 11:21PM

:# My Mom's Morgans from LV slot machine ...... I dipped them in silver jewelry cleaning solution :s

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2019 9:25PM

It worked out well for Roland Winn, the Lord St. Oswald! His great coins were from his ancestor William Strickland.

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 319 ✭✭✭

My favorite coins I've inherited are the South Pacific coins (Australia/New Zealand/ Fiji) that my grandpa brought back to the States in the late 1930's. They're what got my grandmother started collecting. She also put together a partial Seated-coinage forward type set, that now forms the core of my collection.

I'm also partial to the VF 1833 half cent that was in her type set, and a 1795 piece of eight, which was my oldest coin, until I started getting into Greek and Roman stuff.

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

A handful of common items

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

My father assembled several sets of Franklin halves from circulation. I assembled a single set using the best coin of each date/mm from his sets, and still have that set today.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

what a dumb question!!!
    of course you do.
    also include the money i find lying on the side of the road.

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file