Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question on this questionable color

ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

What do you think? I thought it was very attractive and not offensive, but what do I know?
Any ideas on what the graders saw wrong with it or what could have caused it? Maybe we can all learn something from this.

Thanks!

Collector, occasional seller

Comments

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe the graders thought it has been artificially toned in order to offset some of the black spots? Just a guess

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Questionable color go to the 3:40 mark.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VLE9-DZwMpI

• Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Kinda looks like someone tried to strip off fingerprints on the reverse and recolor.

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

The area around the "E" in ONE is what I think they objected to. Everything else including the black spots seem fine based upon my experience.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

The black spots look like a lot of small carbon spotting.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the watery toning break behind the head and around IN is a tell tale look they don't like. Also, if the spots have little toning rings around them that is suspect, at least to me.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WildIdea said:
    I think the watery toning break behind the head and around IN is a tell tale look they don't like. Also, if the spots have little toning rings around them that is suspect, at least to me.

I agree with this. The pinkish red hue also bothers me.

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

The color of the copper and the coarseness of the fields seem to me to indicate the coin was dipped in an acidic fluid which eroded the surface. The carbon spots were existant prior to the dip.

OINK

• Options

Good thoughts here, thanks for the input!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice coin over all except for the black spots (just saying)

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2019 9:18AM

It’s a pretty coin nevertheless. The toning on the top of Abe’s head and surrounding surfaces don’t look natural to me.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting thoughts here. My first thought was wow I like the coin and would be upset. But what do I know.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep in mind, it's "Questionable Color". They don't know for sure that it isn't natural. Submit it again, you may get a different judgment.

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

Overall it just looks a little too raw and pink. I'd expect a natural mint red coin of this age to have a warmer, more orangey tone.

mirabela
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Keep in mind, it's "Questionable Color". They don't know for sure that it isn't natural. Submit it again, you may get a different judgment.

Agree - I submitted a really nice MS 1861 P Seated Half; it came back "questionable color" the first time. Second time it came back straight graded Proof 63.

• Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pvc damage (the green stuff) on the reverse. Its eating into the coin in spots.

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it’s a nice coin
    Nothing jumps out in the photo, but in hand maybe a different story!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WingedLiberty1957 said:
    Pvc damage (the green stuff) on the reverse. Its eating into the coin in spots.

PVC damage would NOT be called questionable color by the grading services

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The spots on the reverse appear to have a greenish hue...Not typical carbon spots. This would indicate to me that some type of chemical was used on the coin. Now, whether it was then rinsed poorly, or the spots retained a trace reaction to the chemical, I cannot tell. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Interesting, I'll try to get a microscope shot of one of the reverse spots this evening.

@FadeToBlack said:

@ricko said:
    The spots on the reverse appear to have a greenish hue...Not typical carbon spots. This would indicate to me that some type of chemical was used on the coin. Now, whether it was then rinsed poorly, or the spots retained a trace reaction to the chemical, I cannot tell. Cheers, RickO

Yep, I saw the same thing. Not carbon spots at all.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file