Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Day 1 at FUN, I am not there, but.............

spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
I have been doing a daily commentary on my FUN experiences for the past several years. I normally fly in Wednesday morning, lot view, and place bids. This year, I was in the deepest, back of behind, isolated place, camping for the past 5 days and could not get there until tomorrow. No cell service, no internet, no lights for literally hundreds of miles. Normally the Wednesday flight to Orlando is packed with dealers and collectors alike, I will be curious to see if tomorrows flight is as dense in numismatic wisdom.

So I will hit the bourse around noon tomorrow and go from there. Since I am not in Orlando, I had a dealer check out the lots that I was interested in. We both mutually agreed today that he should not bid on any of them so it looks like I will not be getting anything in the Heritage auction this year, alas. Let's hope my bourse experiences are better.

One of key the reasons I love going to FUN is not only the coins, but also the club activities and social activities. I plan to hit the JRCS meeting Friday morning, the PCGS luncheon, and if time permits, some of the educational seminars and other club meetings. There will also be social activities, a dinner Thurs nite with numismatic friends, and Friday nite will get together with many folks at a bar nearby. So it will be an intense and busy time at FUN as usual.

Here is a little recap of some of the coins I was able to snag last year that I talked about in my daily reports then. Hopefully will find some more wonderful newps starting tomorrow.

More coming. Best SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

Comments

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I would have like to have gone to FUN, I am very
    content to view the treasures you choose to share in the
    comfort of my den. How 'bout a few more!!

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like Tibor, I shall live vicariously through the FUN attendees. Hope to see lots of pics.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that is new... @spacehayduke ... a FUN show 'pre-report'... :D Looking forward to your 'in person' report. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liking the buildup. Can’t wait for the day-by-day.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

CRO as usual has some nice daily reports: http://www.coinraritiesonline.com/index.php?page=road

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good stuff. Enjoyed reading it and I look forward to hearing about the show.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please give us lots of eye candy <3

• Options

@logger7 said:
    CRO as usual has some nice daily reports: http://www.coinraritiesonline.com/index.php?page=road

Thanks for the info @logger7.

• Options

Yup, John Agre has been providing exciting and provocative reports for each show he attends for years, I recommend everyone reading them, there is alot of insight there.

I am at my gate at the airport waiting to fly, alot of tech/engineer types here, must be a conference for them too. No Disney families at the gate, must be off season. Only one obvious coinee so far........

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2019 5:21AM

Just looked at what is going on at the Orlando Convention Center this week. The surfer dudes will be there in the West building with FUN (Surf Expo 2019), and let me tell you it is darn easy in the hallway to determine which is a coinee and which is a surfer dude. Also in the West building is the Citrix Summit, if I recall correctly, Citrix is a security software/devise company so that explains all of the tech lookin' folks at the gate. Oh what fun we will have in the West building this week!

Here is the info at the OCC website on FUN:

Florida United Numismatists 2019

This event is open to the public.
    Start Date
    Thursday, January 10
    End Date
    Sunday, January 13
    Attendance
    Web Address
    www.funtopics.com/fun-convention.html

Attendance 15000? That equates to a few thousand every day, if 1500 are dealers, hopefully at least 1000 non-dealer attendees each day?

Best, SH

• Options

Oh that sounds interesting. Will there be more techies or surfers perusing the coins during their non-conference times.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file