Home U.S. Coin Forum

How to describe a poor coin - Courtesy Mason's Monthly

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

In December 1869 Edward Cogan of New York sold at auction a coin collection of 1958 lots of copper and silver, foreign and American. The overall condition was so low that Cogan must have searched for new adjectives to add to his usual adjactives. Here are some of the condition descriptions found in the catalog, as quoted by Mason:

“…a few of the most amusing terms so profusely peppered throughout this enjoyable condiment of a catalogue: “ poor,” “ very poor,” “ unusually poor,” “ very poor indeed,” “miserably poor,” “ exceedingly poor,” “extremely poor,” “still poorer,” “wretchedly poor,” “rather poor,” “poor impression,” “decidedly poor,” “poorer still.” After all this severe handling of the diminutive adjective, friend Cogan loses his patience, and on number 1716 he comes down with vindictive emphasis and says, “rascally poor.” This rather poor collection realized the sum of $205 net.
What a wonder.”

From Mason’s Monthly, January 1870, p.9

Comments

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2019 10:16AM

The ultimate lowball grading scale. We need finer granularity at the end of the spectrum.

On the other hand, "indeed" can be added to VF and XF to describe the 30, 35, and 45 grades.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

How bout repulsively poor?

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2019 7:48PM

Imagine the fun if a TPG used repulsively poor ("RP") on a slab label....?

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

My current favorite word when seeing a photo of a coin with extensive damage:
    "wrecked"

• SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can I get PCGS to grade something Rascally Poor for me? That’s gotta be worth more in a low ball set :D

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 618 ✭✭✭✭

I checked out this auction which is listed on the Newman Portal. With the date of the sale being 1869, it looks like a grouping of coins which were plucked out of circulation over many years. I find it interesting the variety of foreign coins in the sale that could have been circulating in the US until 1857. That said, I’m surprised that there wasn’t any Latin American silver in the sale(unless I missed them). Also there were some three cent silvers that were graded in poor condition that were dated 12 years prior to this sale. Did they wear down that quickly?

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just grade it PP
    :)

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think many of the buyers of those poor lots passed them on to folks in my area who keep coming to my table with their priceless heirlooms to sell 😃

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

He never got around to using "pi** poor?"

• RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or the famous POS grade....

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just show me the coin, never mind the story or descriptive adjectives... ;) Cheers, RickO

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I kind of enjoy "wretchedly poor."
    I may add that phrase to my numismatic lexicon. :)
    (To describe the holdings of others....of course...) ;)

• Josh32Josh32 Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    How bout repulsively poor?

I believe they already have that designation.

Why? Because its funny.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, thanks for sharing !!! ;)

Timbuk3
  • mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was just contemplating the electricity in the air at the auction, with the average lot being about 10 cents, the applause every time the gavel hammered down another one.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can recall once seeing a cull large cent described as "ax fight loser".

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file