Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I just want to vent

PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today is not going so well so far
I got to Orlando early, went to the hotel where I have a reservation,but can’t check in until 2:30pm
So I checked in at FUN and got my ribbon for my badge.
I ask where dealers go to unload, and no one seemed to know.
Now after driving 16 long hours. I’m just a bit upset setting in the lobby where half of the hotel is empty.
I can’t set up at the show till 2:00pm.
Chances are I will be a bit kranky.
What ever happened to customer service?
Sorry for the rant, but I am upset.

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Comments

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

They should check you in if there is a room ready. I would talk to the manager. Good luck.

Cheers

Bob

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes venting is all one can do.
    Hopefully things pick up and you have a good show! :)

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope you have a good show, a little later on in the day and you'll forget all about this.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stay warm by staying cool about your slight inconvenience ........ and have a great success at FUN :)

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure how you arriving early is the hotels poor customer service (or FUNs for that matter), check in /set up times are posted. You could check in early for a fee (standard practice most places) but choose not to. That's not poor customer service, its poor planning.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to be sitting in your seat at the hotel and waiting to meet Joe Best for the first time, but not in my budget. Relax and let the stress slide off your shoulders. All will be ok.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2019 10:27AM

I hate that. You lose half a day vacation (or coin show) because you can't check in until 2 or even sometimes 3. I get it, the hotels have to clean up after everyone checking out at 11.

Maybe hotels should have check out times of 9am.

Hit the bar. Just don't go to Denny's and leave all your coins in the trunk.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

hey Pat, I have to go with Wabbit on this one, there really isn't anything you should be upset about. I live halfway between Cleveland and Erie, we're currently in the early stages of snow-storm with the temperature dropping. be happy about where you are.

in an effort to offer some consolation, if you still need a PCGS calendar just send me a PM, I will mail you mine!! B)

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take the moment and try to relax. Clearing a path to some serenity in yourself is important. Life gets lifey. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

After Gluggo's post, I most certainly feel better. Sunny here and 24 degrees.

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:
    Cheer up! You could be with me working outside at 8° weather? Feel better now?

Cool picture regardless... What state are you in?

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:

Where are you working where it is still dark? The moon? :D

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wabbit2313 said:

@Gluggo said:

Alaska

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having run into this problem before when on vacation, I have just left my bags with the front desk and grabbed my swim trunks and headed to the pool. In fairness though, I was not traveling with valuable coins.

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:

...aaaaaaaand this is why my mortgage payments in San Diego are so high...but never as high as I am, and that’s the key right there...70 and sunny for me and mine ;)

...hang in there OP...find a bar and grab a cocktail with a deep breath ;)

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:

I'm guessing Anchorage area? - it's -4F here in the interior, getting ready to drop down to -40F Friday.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@PTVETTER said:
    Let me add this
    The hotel has a room, but for an early check in it cost $35.00
    BS
    I will wait!

I wouldn't, I would find a room an hour away. Hell with them.

You would completely inconvenience yourself out of spite and your poor planning, so silly.

• Options

@U1chicago said:

@Wabbit2313 said:

@Gluggo said:

Alaska

Close enough to the Moon for me!

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use Hotels.com, they clearly state the check-in times on your reservation. It is customary in the hotel industry to charge extra if you are trying to check in early.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Coinstartled said:

@PTVETTER said:
    Let me add this
    BS
    I will wait!

You would completely inconvenience yourself out of spite and your poor planning, so silly.

Absolutely. Is that where we are at now, they have rooms available but tack on $35 to get into one?

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2019 1:43PM

I was thinking of going, spoke to a friend earlier in the week who going to be set up; but I can't make it this year.

What would be the best price on airfare to/from NY plus motel/hotel that people found? I did it for under $500 years ago for 2-3 nights.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Coinstartled said:

@PTVETTER said:
    Let me add this
    BS
    I will wait!

Absolutely. Is that where we are at now, they have rooms available but tack on $35 to get into one?

I'll bet they have limited rooms available as they work to service each one. As long as some may find value in checking in early, they'll keep the room available for that customer.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PTVETTER said:
    Today is not going so well so far
    I got to Orlando early, went to the hotel where I have a reservation,but can’t check in until 2:30pm
    So I checked in at FUN and got my ribbon for my badge.
    I ask where dealers go to unload, and no one seemed to know.
    Now after driving 16 long hours. I’m just a bit upset setting in the lobby where half of the hotel is empty.
    I can’t set up at the show till 2:00pm.
    Chances are I will be a bit kranky.
    What ever happened to customer service?
    Sorry for the rant, but I am upset.

It does help to get it out. You have very good reasons to be upset.

Just wait till something goes right. The equilibrium should balance itself (if you're lucky).

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

You have very good reasons to be upset

look, I know Pat and like him, think he's a good guy, but there are rules and they aren't that hard to follow. every Coin Show has a time when the "Doors Open" for dealers and the public and most bend the rules a little. the F.U.N. Show is quite large so it's understandable that they are more strict. Hotels and the like are the same, typically check in is 3-4PM and check-out is 10-11AM. how hard is that to abide by, especially if it's a show you've been to before and you stay in Hotels several times a year??

Pat is just frustrated, we all get there, but he doesn't have "very good reasons" to be upset.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

hang in there buddy, tomorrow is another day. I do hope you find some good stuff there as well. best wishe :)

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

What time was check-in when you registered for the room? What time was dealer set-up when you registered for the show? I bet it is exactly as stated and now you want preferencial treatment without paying the added fees. Like going to McDonalds and wanting them to supersize your fries and soda without paying additional. Although others may have been rude in explaining it to you, you are coming off as intitled and a bit snowflaky.

• Options

@logger7 said:
    I was thinking of going, spoke to a friend earlier in the week who going to be set up.

What would be the best price on airfare to/from NY plus motel/hotel? I did it for under $500 years ago for 2-3 nights.

Should we pay for you right away also? :)

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2019 1:27PM

@asheland said:
    I hope you have a good show, a little later on in the day and you'll forget all about this.

Not if we keep pushing this thread to the top!

Seriously, I hope that you have a great time at FUN!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:

@Coinstartled said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Coinstartled said:

@PTVETTER said:
    Let me add this
    BS
    I will wait!

I'll bet they have limited rooms available as they work to service each one. As long as some may find value in checking in early, they'll keep the room available for that customer.

Maybe next they will charge $50 a day for maid service. And the toilets should meter at a buck a flush.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

They could offer the option of checking in early with no extra charge, but you need to sleep in the previous occupants sheets. Here's a new bar if soap, a towel, and a bottle of shampoo.
    Your choice.

thefinn
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭✭✭

The same hotel,the last time here had no problem
    Only change is the people
    I know the dealers hours just setting a time line.

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2019 2:26PM

Beer thirty starts at the top of the hour.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I stay about 30 nights/year, am in all frequent stay programs, not elite in any. I think the only times I've had an issue with early check in in the last 10 years was once in FL and once in Vegas. Both times they didn't charge me, they just said no. Since I'm usually spending someone else's money, I would just say yes to the$35, but again that's never come up. I think it either was the specific personnel, or they've just tightened up in that area.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2019 3:33PM

The same hotel,the last time here had no problem
    Only change is the people
    I know the dealers hours just setting a time line

Pat, the "Only change is the people" is the only change you know about.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

All will be good, I hope, and it will be great to read about your after FUN experience when all is said and done.

• Options

this is sort of a good way to start off F.U.N. Show week, I can hardly wait for whoever it that bitches about all the dealers being gone on Sunday. it's refreshing!!! o:)

• Options

I am hoping I can come back and talk about how I LIKED my grades. Please pray, or maybe dance, for me and my coins.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wabbit2313 said:

@logger7 said:
    I was thinking of going, spoke to a friend earlier in the week who going to be set up.

What would be the best price on airfare to/from NY plus motel/hotel? I did it for under $500 years ago for 2-3 nights.

Should we pay for you right away also? :)

?? My question was what were the most economical deals people had found including airfare and lodging?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file