Home U.S. Coin Forum

Update on eBay Charging Sales Tax on Coins/Bullion

Comments

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    dude, no they do not, that was my point, we the people of California VOTED to keep a TAX Increase. FACT!

Yes, we do have anti-tax people who disagree, you hear those voices. Fact is the vote.

Of course, housing is expensive, people want to live here.

Don't you have other forums to go and try to impress with your California arguments? THIS is a coin forum, last I checked.
    While the OP was on target, you have diverged, and continued to diverge, and it gets to the "who cares?" point of it all.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay did not do that for California yet.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

@airplanenut said:
    First off, I am not trying to make this thread political in any way. If you want to debate whether sales tax should be charged on coins/bullion (or anything else), go somewhere else. I'm simply passing along a message that I think is valuable to know.

eBay started collecting sales tax automatically on January 1 (at least for some states). In doing so, they ignored sales tax exemptions, and if you go to purchase something right now with an address in an affected state, sales tax will be charged on anything. Many states--my state of Washington included--have sales tax exemptions on some/all sales of coins and bullion, so this is big problem as eBay sales are now actively charging sales tax when there is none on the books.

I spoke with an eBay rep today (I may not have a direct line to the CEO, but I do sell enough that I get more helpful reps than standard support) who said a memo just came out to them about this problem and that a fix is in the works, to be rolled out next week. Will this definitely happen? It's eBay, so I don't know. But I did think it would be useful information to know if you're affected by this.

Jeremy

I'm not sure if it has been covered yet, but would you have to pay sale's tax to your state, or the seller's? Because even if you don't have tax on coins in your state, the seller might, which is where you are buying the coins from. Blah, this whole thing is just going to be a disaster.

If you live in a state that charges sales tax and buy a toaster, then you pay sales tax. If you order a toaster online from another state and have it shipped they don't charge you any sales tax, but you're supposed to remit the proper amount of tax to YOUR state. If you drive over the line to a neighboring state and buy it then you pay sales tax in that state and NOTHING to your state. For tax purposes a state doesn't differentiate between residents and nonresidents for face to face sales.

theknowitalltroll;

@mapleman said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@mapleman said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@mapleman said:

@airplanenut said:
    First off, I am not trying to make this thread political in any way. If you want to debate whether sales tax should be charged on coins/bullion (or anything else), go somewhere else. I'm simply passing along a message that I think is valuable to know.

eBay started collecting sales tax automatically on January 1 (at least for some states). In doing so, they ignored sales tax exemptions, and if you go to purchase something right now with an address in an affected state, sales tax will be charged on anything. Many states--my state of Washington included--have sales tax exemptions on some/all sales of coins and bullion, so this is big problem as eBay sales are now actively charging sales tax when there is none on the books.

I spoke with an eBay rep today (I may not have a direct line to the CEO, but I do sell enough that I get more helpful reps than standard support) who said a memo just came out to them about this problem and that a fix is in the works, to be rolled out next week. Will this definitely happen? It's eBay, so I don't know. But I did think it would be useful information to know if you're affected by this.

Jeremy

Pa. Is exempt for clothing, bullion coin etc. I've never been charged tax on bay for exempt items. Apmex bpm etc. Many transactions.

It's a from now on sorta thing. Most people weren't whacked for ST last year. Try to buy ASEs today and see what happens. Let us know.

well I just placed [erroneously] an order for an AGE which I'm cancelling. no tax

Maybe you're in one of the states where eBay has already fixed the glitch.

I just had two responses disappear in posting so one more time..

Ebay has collected taxes on all my purchases of merchandise except coins and bullion and clothing since Dec.
    And had never collected them on merchandise except intrastate prior to the USSC Decision.

So then they apparently started early in some states.

theknowitalltroll;

@tincup said:

@jwitten said:

@airplanenut said:

Jeremy

I'm not sure if it has been covered yet, but would you have to pay sale's tax to your state, or the seller's? Because even if you don't have tax on coins in your state, the seller might, which is where you are buying the coins from. Blah, this whole thing is just going to be a disaster.

!! Maybe both states will want to reach into your pocket. If I recall, my state tax forms state that if I purchase from another state and bring into my state... that I need to pay tax; will have to check to make sure. And... I'm, sure that whatever state the seller is in, they will definitely be wanting their share. What a mess...

If you paid the tax in another state in a face to face sale you don't pay any tax to YOUR state.

theknowitalltroll;
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2019 8:08PM

Seems to have become more complex..... :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2019 8:26PM

This is crazy !!

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

If you paid the tax in another state in a face to face sale you don't pay any tax to YOUR state.

When I lived in Oklahoma, there was a line item on the income tax forms for use tax. This was, as suggested above, for items purchased online that didn't collect Oklahoma sales tax. The instructions also said to include the tax on items purchased when traveling out of state that would be subject to Oklahoma sales tax. We were allowed to deduct the actual tax paid on those items, though.

Very happy to live in New Hampshire now.

@daltex said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

When I lived in Oklahoma, there was a line item on the income tax forms for use tax. This was, as suggested above, for items purchased online that didn't collect Oklahoma sales tax. The instructions also said to include the tax on items purchased when traveling out of state that would be subject to Oklahoma sales tax. We were allowed to deduct the actual tax paid on those items, though.

Very happy to live in New Hampshire now.

I recall when sales tax and credit card interest was deductible on Federal [not sure about state returns tho] returns. Iowa supposedly has had a "mail order" tax requirement on the books since the mid 30s, but I don't ever recall seeing a place on the return form to report it.

theknowitalltroll;
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

Helpful ebay tax site

Appears seller will continue to be responsible for collecting different states sales taxes and remitting them to the proper state with the exception of the states at the above site where ebay will handle all of the taxing and remitting. Save above link, will be continually updated by ebay. As states get added to ebay's "list" those states will no longer be a hassle for a seller since ebay will be handling all of the required actions for each state.

From the link:
    Once eBay starts to collect tax in the above states, no action is required on your part, and there will be no charges or fees for eBay automatically calculating, collecting and remitting sales tax. The collection process will apply to all sales, whether the seller is located in or outside of the United States. When a buyer purchases an item on eBay, and the ship to address is one of the above states, eBay will calculate and add the applicable sales tax at checkout. The buyer will pay both the cost of the item along with the sales tax. eBay will collect and remit the tax. Sellers are not able to opt out of selling items into the states listed above or opt out of eBay automatically collecting sales tax.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2019 2:32PM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    I say change the top tax rate on any money earned over 10 Million to 70%.

Taxation is good for society.

"from each according to his ability to each according his need" Karl Marx
    According to Marx, once a communist society has been established, it will produce enough goods and services so that everyone's needs can be satisfied

I beg to differ.... GBA

• StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2019 1:58PM

@BAJJERFAN said:

@tincup said:

@jwitten said:

@airplanenut said:

Jeremy

!! Maybe both states will want to reach into your pocket. If I recall, my state tax forms state that if I purchase from another state and bring into my state... that I need to pay tax; will have to check to make sure. And... I'm, sure that whatever state the seller is in, they will definitely be wanting their share. What a mess...

You must not live in New York.

If I go buy a $3,000 snowmobile in New Hampshire with no sales tax, I still owe NY the whole % for the county I live in (8%).

Heck, if I buy a $3,000 snowmobile in the county next to me that has a 7% sales/use tax, but the county I live in has an 8% sales/use tax - I still have to pay an extra 1% on my tax returns. But NY is kind enough to NOT reciprocate - ie, if I bought that sled in the other neighboring county at 8.750% - but my home county is still 8%, I don't get my .750 back.

If I go 30 minutes south and get the Sled in Pennsylvania, and pay their 6% sales tax - I still owe the 2%, but need proof I paid the 6%. There was a time I had to pay the whole 8% and get reimbursed for the 6% from PA, etc etc etc.

NY includes a line on our tax returns to claim all purchases of goods and services we owe taxes on, whether in person, via the Internet, and over a certain $ - think $1700, it takes an itemized second form. Quite the PITA.

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @airplanenut for being succinct, informative and on point.
    You did inadvertently throw red meat into the cage but that's to be expected I guess. :)

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

@StrikeOutXXX said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@tincup said:

@jwitten said:

@airplanenut said:

Jeremy

You must not live in New York.

If I go buy a $3,000 snowmobile in New Hampshire with no sales tax, I still owe NY the whole % for the county I live in (8%).

Heck, if I buy a $3,000 snowmobile in the county next to me that has a 7% sales/use tax, but the county I live in has an 8% sales/use tax - I still have to pay an extra 1% on my tax returns. But NY is kind enough to NOT reciprocate - ie, if I bought that sled in the other neighboring county at 8.750% - but my home county is still 8%, I don't get my .750 back.

If I go 30 minutes south and get the Sled in Pennsylvania, and pay their 6% sales tax - I still owe the 2%, but need proof I paid the 6%. There was a time I had to pay the whole 8% and get reimbursed for the 6% from PA, etc etc etc.

NY includes a line on our tax returns to claim all purchases of goods and services we owe taxes on, whether in person, via the Internet, and over a certain $ - think $1700, it takes an itemized second form. Quite the PITA.

I wasn't aware that states were seeking the difference if your OOS purchase was at a lower tax rate than your area of residence. I don't see anything on the Iowa return forms addressing the issue. I know that you're not required to pay double tax. Glad I don't live in NY.

theknowitalltroll;
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found out something interesting today - buying stamps at the USPS website is tax free, but if you buy them on ebay from USPS, they are taxed.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

5 more coin purchases today. Still no tax in the Commonwealth.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tried to used my Ebay store coupon to buy packaging.

Though it was about $8 under the $25 coupon. sales tax was added that the coupon would not cover. Paypal was not accepted either. I didn't do the deal.

Maybe if the smog from California drifts over and warps my brain it will seem ok. Meantime i am not paying sales tax to promote Ebay's brand.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:
    5 more coin purchases today. Still no tax in the Commonwealth.

Which commonwealth? There are more than one..

• mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

No tax on stuff I bought today, residence Texas.

BTW, no sales tax on coins, and no income tax period.

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2019 9:17PM

@mapleman said:

@blitzdude said:
    Strange, they are not charging sales tax for me then again in the commonwealth coins and bullion are exempt. God bless the Commonwealth and god bless eBay.

Commonwealth of PA does not tax pensions, SS included. I believe 2nd largest retired population in US. However, it has the highest gas tax in country.

Buy a Tesla. Win for you...and if anyone raise an eyebrow remind them it's built by a US company, on US soil and powered by US energy. Kind of takes the wind out of the sails of some of the folks where I live. In fact where I live I can specifically say 'electricity from West Virginia coal' (which still is a smaller carbon footprint than oil and oil refineries...).

• maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    Found out something interesting today - buying stamps at the USPS website is tax free, but if you buy them on ebay from USPS, they are taxed.

I can't quite figure that out. Has any one else paid tax on postage?

• I just warned 9 people on this single thread for political posts, thank you to the OP for trying to keep things on the intended subject. I think this is an important topic, please don't make me close this thread.

Heather Boyd
    PCGS Senior Director of Marketing

• EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

The seller probably does not even see the sales tax add-on. eBay will probably collect it and pass it on to the states. You can probably claim the exemption and get the tax back from the state if they collected it in error. They will assume that is too much trouble for you and then its free money to them.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,185 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a lot of probabilities, Rick.

HE>I

• EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

At FUN, Jimmy Hayes (ICTA lobbyist) said that is what will happen - they take it, you have to get it back.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

@HeatherBoyd said:
    I just warned 9 people on this single thread for political posts, thank you to the OP for trying to keep things on the intended subject. I think this is an important topic, please don't make me close this thread.

Dock them a few registry points. You won't have to warn the rascals again.

;)

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no problem paying or collecting taxes where sales taxes are due; here in CT I just tell the customers when I am doing labor jobs I have to charge a business sales tax; many of them have suggested a work around with cash, which I don't want to do. Quarterly filing when due, not a big deal for me in a small business.

Hopefully the interstate glitches will be addressed soon. I am seeing fewer ebay numismatic items selling.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mapleman said:

@Lakesammman said:

I can't quite figure that out. Has any one else paid tax on postage?

It's one of those things that probably shouldn't be taxable but MIGHT be taxable because it is now considered a second hand good instead of retail postage.

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live in New York. I collect sales tax on NY sales.
    I sold a coin to a guy in Washington state this afternoon. I see a note on 'My ebay' page that this buyer was charged sales tax and that tax was levied and collected by ebay.
    "Click here for more info"....So I clicked there. Nothing but a bunch of smoke, no info actually given.....

@BAJJERFAN said:
    Is there a way to abort the eBay transaction if you don't want to pay the tax?

yes, you will see the tax during checkout and before final purchase

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

@derryb said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

Didn't see it until the purchase was made. Had to contact the seller and got an instant cancellation.

edited January 25, 2019 5:57PM

@Coinstartled said:

@derryb said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

Didn't see it until the purchase was made. Had to contact the seller and got an instant cancellation.

Sometimes during checkout it takes you directly to "make payment" without showing you if sales tax is being applied to the purchase. When this happens add the item to your cart and then proceed to "checkout." You will then see if tax is being applied before you commit to buy. This procedure will also give you an opportunity to apply a coupon code if you didn't see it on the earlier page.

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@derryb said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

Ya, I went to the store the other day to buy AA batteries for my home smoke detector and the store had the gall to try and charge me sales tax. I said no way, cancel the transaction, I walked out in disgust, and was peed off all day long ..... >:)

edited January 25, 2019 10:10AM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Coinstartled said:

@derryb said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

Ya, I went to the store the other day to buy AA batteries for my home smoke detector and the store had the gall to try and charge me sales tax. I said no way, cancel the transaction, I walked out in disgust, and was peed off all day long ..... >:)

Those sex toys do eat up the juice fast.

I was purchasing the "free" quarterly Ebay shipping supplies. Coupon did not cover the tax though it was well under the $25 cap.

Bigger problem was Paypal was not accepted. Didn't feel like going through the add a credit card routine shortly after having a different online account hacked.

edited January 25, 2019 10:16AM

@Coinstartled said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Coinstartled said:

@derryb said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

Those sex toys do eat up the juice fast.

I was purchasing the "free" quarterly Ebay shipping supplies. Coupon did not cover the tax though it was well under the $25 cap.

Bigger problem was Paypal was not accepted. Didn't feel like going through the add a credit card routine shortly after having a different online account hacked.

The exact same thing happened to me.

This is how I approached the situation that I did not like.

I bought the free shipping supplies with the $25 free coupon and got ebucks 8% back.

I was charged tax, I do have a resale license, but I do not re-sell shipping supplies so I paid the tax.

I could not use paypal, that sucks yes. So I used a credit card for the 2 bucks tax. I got 2 bucks in ebucks so its a wash.

I now have 100 padded envelopes for free and you do not. :):o>:)o:)

I toss them in the garbage anyway. Don't like advertising to postal thieves that the mailed item may have value.

Figure if it costs Ebay money. That is a good thing.

edited January 25, 2019 10:24AM

@Coinstartled said:
    I toss them in the garbage anyway. Don't like advertising to postal thieves that the mailed item may have value.

Figure if it costs Ebay money. That is a good thing.

I absolutely use them as they add to the bottom line. Business 101.

You must be shorting ebay stock.

or

Your constant ebay trashing is actually ebay self-defeatism which cycles to your sales, which cycles to your mind just how bad ebay is which cycles to another negative ebay thread and the cycle continues ........ :o:D:#>:)

My ebay store has not received a shipping supply coupon in six months. I assumed they discontinued it.

You are like the chubby wife that asks the husband if her butt looks fat. Whatever the poor dude answers, the lady storms off in a huff.

My original post here was not an Ebay bash but rather a comment regarding taxation on the site, which the thread subject is about.

That you enjoy living in a state that has confiscatory taxation, that is all well. But move to a place like Texas and not only will you be able to afford a newer vehicle, but your boat will be larger as well.

:)

@derryb said:
    My ebay store has not received a shipping supply coupon in six months. I assumed they discontinued it.

Yes, you do have the coupon if you have a store, ebay makes it extremely hard to find it. I did miss last quarters :'(

@Coinstartled said:
    You are like the chubby wife that asks the husband if her butt looks fat. Whatever the poor dude answers, the lady storms off in a huff.

My original post here was not an Ebay bash but rather a comment regarding taxation on the site, which the thread subject is about.

That you enjoy living in a state that has confiscatory taxation, that is all well. But move to a place like Texas and not only will you be able to afford a newer vehicle, but your boat will be larger as well.

:)

In Texas if I want salt water, then my only choice is the extremely polluted Gulf of Mexico, no thank you.

I will take the super clean Pacific Ocean anytime <3<3<3

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

I missed a bunch too. They stopped telling you about it, which sucks. I finally looked it up, found my coupon, and got some free stuff.

edited January 25, 2019 11:33AM

so, how do you find the coupon for shipping material? I'm opted out of the global shipping program (and will remain so), does that make a difference?

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2019 12:37PM

Click on Manage store then click on subscriber discounts. That's where you should find it.

@derryb said:
    so, how do you find the coupon for shipping material? I'm opted out of the global shipping program (and will remain so), does that make a difference?

@derryb said:

I find the easiest way to navigate Ebay is to google the subject. Ebay free shipping supplies should work.

@OPA said:
    Some of the big bullion dealers started in November charging sales tax for those states that have one on bullion or coins, if you happen to live in that state (Thank you Supreme Court ---NOT)

Clarification. The bullion dealers don't charge sales tax. They collect it because they are essentially forced to.

theknowitalltroll;
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

@OPA said:
    Some of the big bullion dealers started in November charging sales tax for those states that have one on bullion or coins, if you happen to live in that state (Thank you Supreme Court ---NOT)

Clarification. The bullion dealers don't charge sales tax. They collect it because they are essentially forced to.

Your statement is an oxymoron to the fact.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

@OPA said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@OPA said:

Your statement is an oxymoron to the fact.

The taxing entity i.e. usually the state is the one "charging" it. Merchants are the "collection" agency. Can't help being a pedantic butthole sometimes. :) The merchants wouldn't be involved if they weren't required to be.

theknowitalltroll;
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,185 ✭✭✭✭✭

We are all pinching pennies.... This is how the collecting hobby started, in the first place.

HE>I

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    We are all pinching pennies.... This is how the collecting hobby started, in the first place.

I thought that's how copper wire was invented. 2 collectors fighting over a cent/penny!

theknowitalltroll;

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file