Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1959 to 1982 95% Copper Cents

DiggerJimDiggerJim Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭

I have just north of 65 pounds of these pennies saved in cans from coin roll hunting (digging) boxes and boxes from my neighborhood banks and so on so far. So after I put these on the side what am I gonna do with them? Or what do you guys do with them?
Thanks

DiggerJim

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2019 4:16PM

Find a friendly bank that will take them for currency exchange or deposit. May have to roll them, though.

Or, Coinstar if you are willing to lose a bit in the deposit fee.

Edit to add:

65 lbs = 29,483.5 g
    29,483.5 / 3.11 = 9480.23
    About $94.80.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's only about $95 face value if my math is correct, if there's no need for the money I'd just let them sit.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

I spend them.

"A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • Options

Today's spot price for copper is about $2.65 per pound. If you do the math a 95% penny is worth $0.0125. A little over a penny.

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

No wonder I've been seeing so many in cent rolls.

I set them aside, but guess it is not really necessary.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2019 4:34PM

The problem with melting is two-fold. Finding someone to melt them and avoiding a certain law about melting cents.

Title 31 › Subtitle B › Chapter I › Part 82 › Section 82.1

§ 82.1 Prohibitions.
    Except as specifically authorized by the Secretary of the Treasury (or designee) or as otherwise provided in this part, no person shall export, melt, or treat:

(a) Any 5-cent coin of the United States; or

(b) Any one-cent coin of the United States.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/31/82.1

Edit to add: Of course there are exceptions to laws and the exceptions to the above is here: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/31/82.2

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cash them in at the bank ... and don't let them pile up again.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Thanks, all good points. They are starting to take up too much room in my cabinet. So I guess I'm turning them in.

DiggerJim
    (with less pennies)

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

According to coinflation.com, the current scrap value of a solid bronze US $0.01 coin is $0.0175.
    So $100 face value is theoretically worth $175 in scrap. But with the prohibition on large-scale melting, the actual market value is muted.

Eventually, I expect the prohibition on melting will be lifted (when 1-cent coins are no longer needed in commerce).
    I would keep them for now. You could always put them in a safe (if you have the space) to make that safe harder to move.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sell them on eBay
    Folks buy them .

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you checked for varieties? If so then set up at a local coin show and
    sell in bags of 250 or 500. A couple of years ago a friend of mine did this
    and sold 50 of the 500 ct. bags in less than 4 hours. I like the Memorial
    "S" mints, so I would pull those for my self.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hold them for melting when they eliminate the cent. I think there's a good chance that may happen in the future at the rate they're destroying the dollar.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had about 40,000 of them, I cashed them in for 1 cent each last year, I was happy with the price and saw absolutely no reason to keep them any longer :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have them overstruck with a pipe sticking out of Lincoln's mouth. That will make a special, exciting collectable you can sell by the hundreds to avid tourists and luxury truck stops, fast food and convenience stores. Oh...and be sure to emphasize that they are made of nearly pure, valuable copper....the stuff idiots steal from West Virginia coal mines.

:)

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

my boss buys them at .012 cents each, 60 cents a roll.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Have them overstruck with a pipe sticking out of Lincoln's mouth. That will make a special, exciting collectable you can sell by the hundreds to avid tourists and luxury truck stops, fast food and convenience stores. Oh...and be sure to emphasize that they are made of nearly pure, valuable copper....the stuff idiots steal from West Virginia coal mines.

:)

Or carve a portrait of JFK in the field. Still have one of those around...

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

RE: "Or carve a portrait of JFK in the field. Still have one of those around..."

Yeah...that works too! ;)

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

I put them aside as well. I do roll them as I acquire enough to make a roll.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I save wheaties... I have jugs of them... and I really have not searched them... put most of them in rolls years (like 20-25 years ) ago...Keep promising myself I will go through them...so far, I have not kept my promise. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    my boss buys them at .012 cents each, 60 cents a roll.

Do you/your boss check all of them to make sure they're actually coppers? Do you also buy 82's that are copper or only 81 and before? Seems very low margin to me, but to each their own.

• Options

Well it looks like I'll keep saving them and then sell them eventually. I have a good start on some wore out Wheaties bucket also.

And Yes I go through every coin thoroughly, I just don't glance at dates and condition. I have spread sheets I pull up on my computer that I look at when I'm digging made up with documented varieties for each of the coins I dig and update them when I see new varieties pop up

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file