Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Suspicious Cashiers Check-How Long Do You Hold?

Received a cashiers check that I was NOT expecting. Received an email offer, I replied they did not reply and a week or so later I received what looks like a cashiers check for the offer price and still no communication from the person who sent the email offer. Bank told me that unless the other bank verified the check that there is no way to tell a real one from a fake! This is from the bank president.
Says 2 weeks should be sufficient time for the check if it's bad to come back. What say you all? What's your experience with this new age of checks?

Comments

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

Oh, I DID receive a somewhat cryptic email with a zip code it in ( where I should ship ) so I emailed that I will not be shipping until after the FUN show in which I then receive an email suggesting this sounds like a scam. I cancelled the order and intend to wait on that bank before issuing any refunds. What would you do?

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

can you call the bank that issued the check to see if it is good?

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would return the questionable check and clarify my payment requirements with the buyer.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2019 12:37PM

An authentic cashier’s check is as close as you can get for cash without it being cash. It should have all the bank’s info on cashier’s check to include the bank’s routing number.

The bank you deposit the check should tell you how long it will take to clear. Exceptionally large checks do take longer.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2019 12:43PM

Contact the buyer and tell them that you did not expect a Cashiers Check.

Tell them that you will accept that as payment but it could take weeks to clear and that you can not ship it until the check clears as that is your companies policy.

Give the buyer the option to take the check back and then pay with payapl.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buyer has no leverage. Wait until you are comfortable that it has cleared, and that may be longer than the banks standard time period, as I think checks can still bounce. Call the issuing bank - they are the ones who escrowed the $$.

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2019 1:34PM

Call the bank of issue to verify legitimacy.

A cashier's check is purchased with funds.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Outhaul said:

Not if they printed it theirselves.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

And if your using the number on the check do you really know who answers that phone.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't do it. The suspect check can be bogus for many reasons. Thieves can make a bad check using magnetic ink which will cause the item to be read and forwarded thru the federal reserve system. This can take one month or more. Many bogus checks are forgeries on a long closed account. The declined check them has to come back to your bank as closed account or such. Do not deviate from the PayPal environment. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Outhaul said:

Better yet send a quality pic of BOTH sides of the check to the issuing bank and ask them to verify it's authenticity. Of course it could still bounce if the account owner claims that the check was drawn from his account WITHOUT his approval.
    I once received one of those craigslist checks dawn on a Bank of America account and a B of A employee from another message board confirmed it was fake.

• Options

@LindeDad said:
    And if your using the number on the check do you really know who answers that phone.

banks have internet presence and a phone number and address can be verified (unless the scammer made a website for fake bank as well)

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MLBdays said:
    Anyone that dubious ought to be shot on sight ... Id send the check to the FBI and get them involved ....this IS NOT A REAL PURCHASE. Its a bogus check....Anyone sophisticated enough to send a cashiers check is not going to be cryptic IN THE LEAST.

It sounds like he already deposited the check.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I, for one, want to know how this turns out :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

Every legitimate financial institution has a policy on deposited checks or for any monies for that matter. If it is already deposited, then it might be a good time to re-read the policy.

I agree @1630Boston.

• Options
    numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭

No legit deal goes down this way....just sayin'.

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

I received a cashiers check last year and couldn’t see any watermark. The the issuing bank, they won’t verify over phone or in person.

When I deposited it I asked my bank if they could verify, they can’t so I deposited it. Took 13 days to clear. Of course a hold was put on the funds in my account.

A few days after clearing I get a letter from my bank saying my line of credit was cancelled because of suspicious activity on my account. I call my bank and ask WHY?? Lady didn’t know, letter was dated the day I deposited the cashiers check. She said that shouldn’t have happened but it did. I guess just asking about a cashiers check throws up red flags.

I got my LOC reinstated right over the phone but geezzzzz, that seemed like an over reaction to me. I had more than enough funds in my account to cover the cashiers check even if it did bounce.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

Walk away do not deposit into your regular checking account at the bank, information could be given as to where the money deposit was made you could lose all kinds of information especially if the check was made out for more than the purchase price and they want you to made a refund drawn on our account. WALK AWAY.

• Options

If it's a major bank like B of A any branch should be able to verify it as one of theirs.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

3-4 weeks at least

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

What bank was the check issued from? Some of the larger banks like Chase and Wells Fargo are very helpful.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, so what exactly is the secure safety with receiving "Cashiers Checks"? Seems like there could be more/worse potential issues than a personal check. In this day and age of information and computers, I do not understand how it takes more than a week or two to verify the legitimacy of a bank cashiers check.

• Options
    TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭

@Batman23 said:
    Wow, so what exactly is the secure safety with receiving "Cashiers Checks"? Seems like there could be more/worse potential issues than a personal check. In this day and age of information and computers, I do not understand how it takes more than a week or two to verify the legitimacy of a bank cashiers check.

lol. you assume the system has been upgraded along with technology as times change.

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
    More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

• Options
    Rich49Rich49 Posts: 189 ✭✭✭

Stolen Checks and the machine that makes them out are out there.Use PayPal.

photo index.gif

• Options

@1Bufffan said:
    Walk away do not deposit into your regular checking account at the bank, information could be given as to where the money deposit was made you could lose all kinds of information especially if the check was made out for more than the purchase price and they want you to made a refund drawn on our account. WALK AWAY.

So it could be a 'phishing cashiers check' ?

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the red flags are waving cancel the sale and return the check.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

I received a US Bank "Money Order" yesterday and took it to my local US Bank to cash it. They told me there was a $7.00 charge to cash their own Money Order because I wasn't a customer. I said, "Really??? Well can you tell me is it is a legit MO?" The teller just looked at it and said, "It looks good."

I told her she now knows why I do not have an account at there and left.

• Options
    edited January 8, 2019 5:24PM

@291fifth said:
    If the red flags are waving cancel the sale and return the check.

too late fer dat, but I know what you meant!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

A cashier’s check is supposed to have money set aside from the account as soon as it is drawn. I can’t see why there would be any holding time for a good cashier’s check.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

A cashiers check still needs to make its way back to the paying back even if electronically, and be verified as authentic.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

If its from Africa or there abouts you should be OK.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only accept Wells Fargo cashier’s checks

• Options
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

"How long do you hold?"
    I don't. Especially on a cashiers check. It can be MONTHS after you deposited it and suddenly your bank will pull the funds back.
    PP or bank wire.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only thing I hold with "suspicious", is my nose. Cancel the non deal.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

I received a bogus cashiers check for something like 7K. The explanation was that I was owed some amount less and would I cash the cashiers check and send them the difference.

I called the bank to verify and the account number was bogus. Check with the issuing bank. That will confirm everything.

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭

I sent a Wells Fargo money order to Great Collections that got lost and never found. Cost 31.00 to stop payment. Always use Pay Pal

• Options

@1630Boston said:
    I, for one, want to know how this turns out :smile:

I'll try and remember to update when that happens . And for the record, I've been screwed for a lot with these cashiers checks especially in the last year. There is no way I am accepting these cashiers checks without an authorized bank representative to back them up. Paypal is out of the question as a) the fee will not be absorbed by me when my net is hovering at around 7% on a pretty neat gold coin and b) paypal can hold my money in 6 months from now which is not acceptable even if I made 10%! :p

• Options

I do request wires at a certain amount and will credit the wire fee in many cases but in this case there was no confirmation of an order. This cashiers check came in with no email ahead of time. I ALWAYS send an invoice prior to payment. In this case that did not happen.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I've been screwed for a lot with these cashiers checks especially in the last year"

Sorry you have been screwed for a lot, sounds like a good time to quit taking them.

Cashiers checks are very high risk these days. I have heard of them coming back 6 weeks later. :'(

• Options
    TopdollarpaidTopdollarpaid Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Send the check back. We don’t take cashiers checks period.

Randy Conway

Www.killermarbles.com

Www.suncitycoin.com
  • Options

@Topdollarpaid said:
    Send the check back. We don’t take cashiers checks period.

Sounds like from his second post that he deposited the check.

• Options
    KeithMS70KeithMS70 Posts: 192 ✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2019 9:55AM

Take it into the issuing bank. Tell them your concerns

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file