How to store silver bars?

How do you guys store your silver bars? I would really like to get a nice antique vault of sorts to store mine in. For the meantime however what should I do? Should I seek to prevent tarnish or does that not matter as much with hand poured bars? Any ideas are greatly appreciated!!

Comments

  • rickoricko Posts: 67,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

    A gun safe or a coin cabinet.... I used to see coin cabinets on ebay years ago - actually bought a couple that I still use. On bars, it seems tarnish does not detract or really add much to value. If a bar becomes tarnished to the black stage, it can be dipped with no issues. Rinse well though. Cheers, RickO

  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I just stack them up in my basement :smile:

    Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978

    Bad transactions with : nobody to date

  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 22,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

    do not worry about tarnish. tarnish will protect the silver from tarnishing further. a good dip will remove it before selling.

    antique safes can be easier to get into than some modern safes. antique safes are cool looking though. just be sure that the weight of the floor can handle the psi from the safe's weight.

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I like stacking them in ammo boxes, then they can be put in a safe or carried with you.
    If the bar is scarce or just really nice and you don't want scratches, put in a zip-lock type bag.

  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 19,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @1630Boston said:
    I just stack them up in my basement :smile:

    make one wonder what the gold area looks like ;)

  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I use these heavy duty plastic APMEX boxes. They fit nicely in my safe and they’re solid as a rock.

  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 21,173 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Dangerous there @1630Boston, I just stack mine on the floor and I prefer just one "brand" and one size. Makes for real easy stacking.
    bob :)

    BST deals: Dozens of buys/sells. Will provide a list upon request.
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), [email protected]
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Sort of depends on the quantity.

  • LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

    @Smudge said:
    Sort of depends on the quantity.

    Size as well.
    There are a couple novelty storage options for bars. Airtight makes 1oz bar acrillic cases for individual bars and a box of twenty.

    Pamp Suisse has a box for 15 kilo bars. And I'm pretty sure Geiger has wooden boxes for their bars.

    Ide imagine a bunch of silver is stored in ammo cans too.

    It's all about what the people want...

  • LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

    @asheland said:
    I like stacking them in ammo boxes, then they can be put in a safe or carried with you.
    If the bar is scarce or just really nice and you don't want scratches, put in a zip-lock type bag.

    @LukeMarshall said:

    @Smudge said:
    Sort of depends on the quantity.

    Ide imagine a bunch of silver is stored in ammo cans too.

    Bingo

    It's all about what the people want...

  • blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Yup lets get back into the 30-40 GSR range, more than ready to swap the heavy for the Au.

  • I love Silver but that’s why I’m primarily into gold. It gets so heavy in Large amounts that it becomes very difficult to manage. Imagine 10,000 oz in 100oz bars that’s 100 of those. Can you imagine having to move that!

  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 10,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Swap them for gold, then put it in a SDB !!! :)

    Timbuk3
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @blackhorse360 said:
    I love Silver but that’s why I’m primarily into gold. It gets so heavy in Large amounts that it becomes very difficult to manage. Imagine 10,000 oz in 100oz bars that’s 100 of those. Can you imagine having to move that!

    That's a problem I wouldn't mind having! :D

  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

    tneig, great story, had a good laugh. Though I assume it's written tongue in cheek, I still find it so relatable.

  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭✭

    What Ricko said. Also Silver has a better investment potential than Gold IMHO.

    email: [email protected]

    100% Positive BST transactions
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 40,509 ✭✭✭✭✭

    One of my customers says he uses the 100 oz bars as door stops. "This prevents the door knobs from damaging the walls." So he states.

  • @asheland said:

    @blackhorse360 said:
    I love Silver but that’s why I’m primarily into gold. It gets so heavy in Large amounts that it becomes very difficult to manage. Imagine 10,000 oz in 100oz bars that’s 100 of those. Can you imagine having to move that!

    That's a problem I wouldn't mind having! :D

    You have a point there!

Sign In or Register to comment.