BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 7, 2019 9:29AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Very tough denomination and among the finest extant

Comments

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent!

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you collecting type or whatever catches your eye? In other words, is there a method to your madness?

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    Are you collecting type or whatever catches your eye? In other words, is there a method to your madness?

Thanks for the question. I have been seeking to build a fairly expansive and higher end type set of Latin American issues dating from 1732 to the Republican issues of the late 1800's. I have ended up with a buying strategy that just focuses on buying any exceptional coins which I have come across in the defined sets that interest me versus focusing narrowly on one set at a time.

The present coin with the help of MrE

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice Brian .

I am guessing AU 55 ?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2019 4:27PM

@bidask said:
    Very nice Brian .

I am guessing AU 55 ?

I bought it raw as a 58+

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2019 4:29PM

@Boosibri said:

@pruebas said:

Thanks for the question. I have been seeking to build a fairly expansive and higher end type set of Latin American issues dating from 1732 to the Republican issues of the late 1800's. I have ended up with a buying strategy that just focuses on buying any exceptional coins which I have come across in the defined sets that interest me versus focusing narrowly on one set at a time.

The present coin with the help of MrE

I do similar, with different areas of interest and perhaps of slightly lesser quality. Well, except for one area where I am looking to complete a set as well as targeting great issues within that area.

And, congrats on your coin -- it is a great one!

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is seriously a nice piece.

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abuelo said:
    That is seriously a nice piece.

+1

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

@bidask said:
    Very nice Brian .

I am guessing AU 55 ?

I bought it raw as a 58+

Serious grading question.
    The reverse looks MS (some struations at high points) but the curls on the portraits locks look flattened off, would you say a weak strike kept them from filling into the die in these areas and then they toned differently? That’s my guess.

Love the coin BTW, just interested in your take on the AU-MS line on a coin like this, thanks.

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mexican gold is tough. Seems odd, but they were mainly a silver supplier to España.

thefinn
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WildIdea said:

@Boosibri said:

@bidask said:
    Very nice Brian .

I am guessing AU 55 ?

I bought it raw as a 58+

Serious grading question.
    The reverse looks MS (some struations at high points) but the curls on the portraits locks look flattened off, would you say a weak strike kept them from filling into the die in these areas and then they toned differently? That’s my guess.

Love the coin BTW, just interested in your take on the AU-MS line on a coin like this, thanks.

I think the curls and cheek areas are very high spots with little definition left in the die. Also note the slight weakness in the reverse shield from the metal flowing into the bust.

It limits the grade, but doesn’t define the grade.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin has light friction on the high points of the obverse but most of the weakness you see is in the strike. That’s far from obvious in the images, but it’s easy to see it in hand.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.