Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Two new Walkers for my PCGS registry set.

WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 7, 2019 8:26AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I already have NGC examples of both of these coins.

I really paid up for the 1946 S. I paid almost double what they've been selling for but I really like the toning, luster and strike. Am I a fool? It was just a coin that I feel fit my set better than the others I've seen, lately.

The 1947 D has what looks to be some awesome originality. It was likely stored somewhere for a very, very long time. It looks like it just glows.

Although I don't like all of his stickered coins; Mr. Albanese liked both of these two, so that adds some assurance.

What do you think?

Thoughts, comments and opinions are always welcome.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Comments

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice Halves
    46-S maybe undergraded by a +

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I too could see the 46-S as a + grade coin and I like it a lot but perhaps not 2X price. I do not like the obv of the 47-D at all and would have passed personally, congrats on your upgrades.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

I saw the 47-D and figured it would go for a strong bid. The 46-S does look look like it has a ton of luster. Congrats on both.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2019 11:21AM

The S is very appealing to me but I might be a bit bias as far as toning :) calling @ricko to opine B)

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

<3 Congrats on both <3

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great upgrades! Congrats B)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the 46-S. Not sure about the 47-D although I'm sure it looks better in hand.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound .... That is a very nice WLH... the slight tarnish is not ugly.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like the 47D, really like the 46S because of its “glow” even through a pic. In-hand, the two must be stunning. Thanks for the showing.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2019 1:49PM

I really paid up for the 1946 S. I paid almost double what they've been selling for but I really like the toning,

What toning?

I don’t understand paying ‘double what they’ve been selling for’ sight unseen in auction. Seems foolish

• Options
    edited January 7, 2019 5:27PM

@tradedollarnut said:
    I really paid up for the 1946 S. I paid almost double what they've been selling for but I really like the toning,

What toning?

I don’t understand paying ‘double what they’ve been selling for’ sight unseen in auction. Seems foolish

It has some light rim toning. It is very frosty with great luster. We’re not talking about a very expensive coin, so overpaying by what I did is not a real lot of money. Nice 66 examples sell for close to $200. Run-of-the-mill sub standard ones sell for about $120. I paid a little bit more, so that I would have a coin that I liked. There was an OGH that I really wanted with a sharper strike that sold for about $160 last year but that one didn’t have this type of luster and frost nor was it CAC stickered nor did it have a TrueView. This was my thinking, anyway.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dig both of them, @Walkerfan .

• Options
    sarikanairsarikanair Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

Beautiful Coins...Congrats

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice on the 46-s.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing your new beautiful walkers. Great addition.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

These Walkers are such great coins. Sadly they seem to be one choice that's fallen out of favor with many collectors at the moment. Examples like yours are so beautiful in hand. Keep buying and upgrading.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2019 6:06PM

Thanks everyone! :)

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice lustrous Walkers. I like the 46-S more, but can appreciate the originality of the 47-D.

• Options
    edited January 9, 2019 7:30PM

I got them both in hand today and they are both how I envisioned them. The 47d is amazing... it doesn't even look silver, as it looks like a coppery, gold coin!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice pick ups

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great examples!

• Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

The top coin too many black spots n dots to merit a 66 plus! Ugh!! (I would give it a 65)
    Also ugly toning at 3 o’clock on the reverse below AMERICA, Is that green stuff veridigress?

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

,,,, to continue with the first coin, the top coin (1947d) looks like a lot of problems to me.
    second coin is really nice and correctly graded. (the 1946s)
    so you are batting .500 on this bunch of two. The first coin I would dump at the first opp.

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2019 5:41PM

The 47 D has no Verdigris and it's a beautiful piece. I noted the 'black spots' but they are barely noticeable in hand. Coin has a beautiful Golden Glow. It is an original problem-free piece. They're both great coins. Thank you for your opinion.

Edit to add: when dark spots are concentrated and have a ring around them they are problem coins but, when they are diffuse and tiny, they're just part of the natural toning process and not of any concern.

The 47 D is actually my favorite of the two.

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2019 5:46PM

Although I like Ian, I don’t particularly like GC’s photos. Having said that, I think I like that 47-D and suspect I would like it even more if Todd or Messy Desk or Tom Bush imaged it.
    I always found the 47-D a tough coin to find the way I liked. I never did get a nice one. Congrats on the coins.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 46 S is outstanding. I believe your pic is probably more accurate in how it looks than truview.

• Options

@gtstang thanks. I'm not afraid to Pony up a little extra money to purchase the coin that I really like. @breakdown taught me that and his was one of the best sets ever. ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file