Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

It is only the Morgan Dollars that seem to call out my name.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

Comments

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an affinity to the Cartwheels myself.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

So you were the sniper at Great Collections, I thought for sure it would be mine.

Congratulations on your marksmanship, it is a great looking DPL.

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:
    It doesn't look DMPL. The standards have tightened since the old holder days.

The same voice tells me to discount the white holder washout effect. She will be fine. ;)

• Options
    Jim2359Jim2359 Posts: 281 ✭✭

Very nice coin

• Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liking the exergue especially on the rev. First pick up of 2019?

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin.... I like Morgan dollars... A big silver coin, so much more representative of the United States than the wimpy prez bucks, sacs or SBA's....Cheers, RickO

• Options

I know it isnt the same coin stating how its weird mine has some cartwheel but solid 8 inch mirrors so is that still considered dmpl by todays standard?

• Options
    BGERRISHBGERRISH Posts: 74 ✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

It is not a DMPL, it is a DPL so you see it is correctly designated to the standards of reflectivity and contrast.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BGERRISH said:

@cameonut2011 said:

It is not a DMPL, it is a DPL so you see it is correctly designated to the standards of reflectivity and contrast.

DPL is NGC's abbreviation for DMPL.

• Options

And a good call for GC to not sticker the reverse and mess up the remaining label!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pick up!

• Options

yeah, Morgans seem to call out my name way too often :)

No good deed goes unpunished

carolinacollectorcoins.com
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

They're big and bulky and irresistible. Not to mention contagious.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got my shot this year. :D

• Options
    BGERRISHBGERRISH Posts: 74 ✭✭✭

@FadeToBlack said:
    Not DPL/DMPL but whatever makes you happy. Probably not even PL by present standards.

They played loose and fast with the designations back then, these days you have to be vigilant when buying old holders from both PCGS and NGC.

'84-O isn't a particularly hard date to find DMPL, either, so they should come with deep, watery mirrors and fairly heavy contrast.

If NGC grades it as Deep Prooflike are they not guaranteeing it is what they say it is? It looks like to me it could have really good reflectivity in the fields with nice cameo contrast.

• Options

@BGERRISH said:
    If NGC grades it as Deep Prooflike are they not guaranteeing it is what they say it is? It looks like to me it could have really good reflectivity in the fields with nice cameo contrast.

Cameo contrasts have nothing to do with a PL or DPL/DMPL designation. The only thing that matters is the depth of the mirrors of the fields.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2019 5:53PM

She would be a wonderful coin if you could remove the crud round the edges. Congrats!!!

Edit: when I say wonderful I mean from dreck to possible widget. Might even sticker....sniff sniff.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

And a good call for GC to not sticker the reverse and mess up the remaining label!> @FadeToBlack said:

Not DPL/DMPL but whatever makes you happy. Probably not even PL by present standards.

FTB...either you have seen this coin in hand and I respect your opinion or you have not and your opinion carries little weight.

I have been buying and selling a substantial number of Dollars online for over 15 years and have found reflectivity to be challenging to determine from digital images. I have bought a number of coins from GC and have a pretty good feel for his imagery. I expect to be delighted when this DMPL Morgan arrives and if I disagree with the grade I will note that here.

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't wait to hear what your thoughts are when it arrives in hand. I saw that one listed on GC and really wanted to like it, but I got the feeling that the mirrors were not there for the designation. I hope I was wrong and look forward to your thoughts when it arrives.

• Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

Well...it is up to 9 likes. 10 is the poor mans CAC!

You are a funny sucker! You make me laugh more than anyone on here.

Now it has 15 Likes. That is pure Gold!

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@BGERRISH said:

@cameonut2011 said:

DPL is NGC's abbreviation for DMPL.

I just hope I'm wrong and it isn't a poor man's DMPL!

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

It must be contagious.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2019 3:55AM

@coinhack said:

@Coinstartled said:

17 now so the coin has already earned its keep, but presents a dilemma as well.

It will show up either Wednesday or Thursday. If I carefully examine the coin and say "it is all there with significant 8" plus mirrors on both sides" the gates of hell will break open.

I guess that I will then be obligated to prove it with a Kroger ad and a tape measure, but then the lighting or the tenderloin price or the brand of the measuring device will be challenged.

I could send the coin out to JA, but even if stickered, the "does John consider the PL or DMPL in his evaluation" debate will reignite. He does, but all of the forum does not agree on that.

I could try to cross the coin at PCGS, but FTB has mentioned that he is waiting for the host to return to old standards before he submits his Morgans. So if he is unhappy with the criteria now, he will give little value to their opinion.

I better think about this.

• Options
    edited January 8, 2019 4:04AM

@Coinstartled said:

@coinhack said:

@Coinstartled said:

17 now so the coin has already earned its keep, but presents a dilemma as well.

It will show up either Wednesday or Thursday. If I carefully examine the coin and say "it is all there with significant 8" plus mirrors on both sides" the gates of hell will break open.

I guess that I will then be obligated to prove it with a Kroger ad and a tape measure, but then the lighting or the tenderloin price or the brand of the measuring device will be challenged.

I could send the coin out to JA, but even if stickered, the "does John consider the PL or DMPL in his evaluation" debate will reignite. He does, but all of the forum does not agree on that.

I could try to cross the coin at PCGS, but FTB has mentioned that he is waiting for the host to return to old standards before he submits his Morgans. So if he is unhappy with the criteria now, he will give little value to their opinion.

I better think about this.

The comments were for your benefit. If you're happy with the coin and the purchase price then none of us really care. We just want you to understand that the standards have changed and that you need to be careful. I suppose we could be wrong, but FTB's thoughts mirrored mine. A DMPL should have deep mirrors. Cartwheel luster is antithetical to deeply mirrored fields. The images remind me of a NGC DPL that I handled a couple of weeks ago that was slabbed right after the "no line" fatty ended. It even photographed in a similar way (I'll see if I kept any pictures). It was not a DPL and maybe not even PL. YMMV.

• Options

there hard to pass up!!

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think both services have had their own very loose times with DMPL's.

I have seen OGH's and Fatty's that have no shot today at PL. Then I have seen OGH's and Fatty's as deep as night so you just have to pay close attention to older graded PL/DMPL's.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

What does the coin look like in hand @Coinstartled ?

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

You must be my mailman. Got it 30 minutes ago. ;)

I am very pleased with the coin. Not monster mirrors that I have seen on CC Dollars, but full 6" on the obverse and close to 8" on the reverse. Very nice for an "O" mint Morgan.

Solid to plus for the 64 grade. Slight cheek scuffing will keep it away from a 65.

I may break it out to get some better images as the white plastic never is flattering to silver.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@cameonut2011 said:

I am very pleased with the coin. Not monster mirrors that I have seen on CC Dollars, but full 6" on the obverse and close to 8" on the reverse. Very nice for an "O" mint Morgan.

Solid to plus for the 64 grade. Slight cheek scuffing will keep it away from a 65.

I may break it out to get some better images as the white plastic never is flattering to silver.

I'm glad that it worked out for you and that you are happy.

• Options

@FadeToBlack said:

@Coinstartled said:

@cameonut2011 said:

I love shooting old holders and can do a bang up job while keeping it in the slab. ;)

If he cracks it out, he can send it to PCGS and have a True View done.

• Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭

I am a sucker for those crescent toned Morgan dollars

Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin, nice strike and very frosty devices. But most Morgans were stored in bags and all suffer from dings and scruffs. I think there were mint set Morgans? but I am sure that they are very hard to find. A series where grades exist from MS61 to MS69, but great majority are MS64 or less. Room for a lot of collectors at many grade levels.

OINK

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one called out to me a few years ago !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

@FadeToBlack said:

They played loose and fast with the designations back then, these days you have to be vigilant when buying old holders from both PCGS and NGC.

'84-O isn't a particularly hard date to find DMPL, either, so they should come with deep, watery mirrors and fairly heavy contrast.

Agreed. It has the 'look' that I really like in Morgans though. Really a nice original piece even though I don't agree with the DPL designation.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file