Homeβ€Ί U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I got my pre 1857 U.S. leagal tender escudos in the Mail!!!πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

This coin is beautiful and original pre U.S. mint coinage πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

And it came with a hat 🎩

I put this discussion in boath U.S. and World forums because it fits boath topics; it is boath a U.S. and foreign coin 😊

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool coin, cool year. I've got one quite similar dated 1787, also a cool year for these little guys.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Baley said:
    Cool coin, cool year. I've got one quite similar dated 1787, also a cool year for these little guys.

1787 would be a different king, fwiw.

• Options

Hmmm, might have the date wrong then. 1789? 1797? Will check, it's been years since i looked at it. Might be confusing it with a shilling that's dated 1787.

• Options

@Baley, I tell everyone who I show the coin to that the red stain/ toning on the back is pirates blood. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got three hats. Nice coin

• Options
    edited January 4, 2019 9:39PM

@Baley @JimTyler, Turns out my coin is the finest PCGS Graded 1792 escudos πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exquisite! I love the beaded looking rim :) Congrats!

• Options
    ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭

@markelman1125 said:
    @Baley @JimTyler, Turns out my coin is the finest 1792 escudos πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Careful with that thinking. There is so much early gold in Europe that has not been slabbed.

• Options

@Colonialcoin thanks for pointing that out I was about to add (by PCGS) πŸ‘ Good Eye

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Colonialcoin said:

@markelman1125 said:
    @Baley @JimTyler, Turns out my coin is the finest 1792 escudos πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Careful with that thinking. There is so much early gold in Europe that has not been slabbed.

Absolutely true. Very very few of these coins have been run by any TPG.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@markelman1125 ..That coin is wicked cool especially with the original blood. The imagination runs wild with the history she holds. Nice Score.

• Options

@CoinscratchFever I love this coin; it is so cool even my dad who doesn’t realy care for coins thinks it’s cool 😎!!!!

• Options

Ok now I'm going to have to go to the bank and have another look at that little coin I'd forgotten about..

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@markelman1125 said:
    @CoinscratchFever I love this coin; it is so cool even my dad who doesn’t realy care for coins thinks it’s cool 😎!!!!

I can see that. And because its one of those coins, mystic, age, whatever, or all the above. When you look into it you begin to wonder who held it and when and what happened. Unlike the modern stuff or even early 1900's which is cool also but, none like this. This comes from a time we can only imagine. Again, nice score.

• Options

@CoinscratchFever maybe a pirate held this coin or the king of Spain, who knows 😊

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can anyone recall the predominant foreign gold coins circulating in the US before 1857? Maybe some photos of them would be nice, too.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Can anyone recall the predominant foreign gold coins circulating in the US before 1857? Maybe some photos of them would be nice, too.

From personal memory? No.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably depends on the exact period but I'd guess Spanish colonial for most of the years.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options

I don’t think it’s quite Spanish colloidal because it was minted in Madrid but it could simply be circulated in the colonies

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin... and interesting as well... What does the hung animal at the bottom of the reverse signify?? Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Richo I think the hung animal is the golden fleas

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin! Congrats.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Careful, CRO coins inspire addiction! :o

Congrats on a cool piece of gold!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

Leave a Comment