Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Special Christmas gift (coin)

mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

So what are the odds that you would find a coin counter stamped with your name and the city from the country that your ancestors are from. The picture below is of such a coin. My son found it and had it slabbed so that my wife could give it to me for Christmas. Correct first initial and the same spelling for the last name. Edinburgh, Scotland What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool!

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a keeper!

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

And here is the closeup.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin and family.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really sweet gift.

• Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome, I love it!

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an amazing find and an incredible gift....A keeper and a family heirloom in the future. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a treasure!

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

A family heirloom for sure! Merry Christmas.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

R-10.

• Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool counter stamp and a nice gift! AB

• Options
    KeithMS70KeithMS70 Posts: 192 ✭✭✭

What an awesome and amazing gift!!! holy smokes!!!

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's an interesting COINcidence! :)

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2019 3:47AM

@1Mike1 said:
    That's an interesting COINcidence!

[thud]

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like fate to me!

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

amazing

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool pops! The series of 'fortunate' events that both lead to its initial creation then finding it's way to you guys all these decades later. That kind of stuff always fascinates me.

I found a Peace dollar a while back, owned by @lordmarcovan I believe that had an old engraving "From Leroy, to Leroy" so I sent it to Leroy Van Allen as a gift. Boy did he like it.

Can't imagine your face on Christmas morning. Hope your boy got a pic of it :smile:

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's really something !

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very very cool! I found a lovetoken with @lordmarcovan 's initials, so got that for him for secret santa last year. This takes the cake though!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very, very cool!

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:
    Very cool pops! The series of 'fortunate' events that both lead to its initial creation then finding it's way to you guys all these decades later. That kind of stuff always fascinates me.

I found a Peace dollar a while back, owned by @lordmarcovan I believe that had an old engraving "From Leroy, to Leroy" so I sent it to Leroy Van Allen as a gift. Boy did he like it.

Can't imagine your face on Christmas morning. Hope your boy got a pic of it :smile:

I would say the face was a little more panic since my mom and dad had agreed not to buy gifts for each other. So when handed the gift it was more of a whats this and why?

From all I could find this is a unknown counterstamp. A friend of mine found it in a counterstamp group and showed it to me. He knew he was not getting it back. I got the coin at the June Long Beach, that was a long time to keep it under wraps.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat coin, neat story. Now you need to travel to Scotland and do some research to find out who and why this was counter stamped this way. I will wait for the rest of the story... B)

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

way cool

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way cool. Fitting as Roger is one cool dude

Todd well done

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a thoughtful son and wife Very cool gift. Priceless no doubt.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great story! And coin, too!

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool coin... is there any history known about R. Pollock in Edinburgh? ...other than its your name... lol!!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is so cool Roger.......I look for family initials all the time (as you know)....glad Todd saw that and smart to get it and grade it....
    Probably the same grade as you are today....'eh there Scotty boy?

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

Thanks for the comments.

I will have it at FUN if you want to see it in hand.

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice how that came to be, congrats!

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2019 10:54PM

@CascadeChris said:

I'm glad to hear it. That was a funny coin.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:
    Very very cool! I found a lovetoken with @lordmarcovan 's initials, so got that for him for secret santa last year. This takes the cake though!

Aha! So that mystery is solved, now! Thank you, Santa! :)

I still have it. Planning to put it on the trademark hat, whenever I get around to giving that a new lease on life. I sold all the gold coins off of it in my "Great Purge" of 2013, when I parted ways with my holey coin collection.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file