Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins

Foreign dealer recommendation needed

Hi everyone and thanks in advance.

I'm looking for a 1568 Scotland 30 shillings ryal ("Sword Dollar") that is either already in someone's holder or is gradable at PCGS, but isn't a museum quality piece that is priced out of reach. These basically never turn up in the U.S. so I'm looking for recommendations elsewhere. I know examples are out there. My want list at Spinks has been useless for several years; I'm not even confident it made it home with the guys working the booth at two different ANA shows where I submitted it.

Any suggestions who I should contact?

When in doubt, don't.

Comments

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Off the top of my head...
    AMR Coins
    Colin Cooke
    Roderick Richardson
    Neil Paisley at Baldwins

via auctions
    DNW
    London Coins
    Spinks
    St. James

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

^ What is above is a good start, crazily enough though I have bought some of my rarer than hen's teeth Scots coins from Antony Wilson of Yorkcoins and also Stacks.

Also Lloyd Bennett at coinsofbritain.com/

I would recommend looking at ha.com and signing up with a want list. Since 2001 five examples of that coin have come up for auction.

Quite a few of the Ryals were counterstamped with a crown and thistle in 1578 when the coin was revalued at a higher tariff.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you both for your suggestions; I shall look into them.
    I've been working on an 8-coin 1565-71 PCGS set for 17 years and 1568 is the last one I need.

When in doubt, don't.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scots coins can be a PITA if you are doing date sets, try the 1580-1586 30 /- coins - some of the dates have only 2-3 known examples. I own a couple of very rare James VI coins, but my favourite coins are Queen Mary's coins, particularly a portrait coin.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • OboneObone Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

I think I have a friend who has one, what grade were you looking at?

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Obone said:
    I think I have a friend who has one, what grade were you looking at?

Thanks for your reply! Ideally, by U.S. standards I'm thinking the VF20-35 range. The overriding priority is being able to get into a problem-free holder.

When in doubt, don't.