Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Two stunning Eagles to start the new year off right...

OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 1, 2019 12:55PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Taken this morning looking out my back door...

Comments

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding picture.

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

Wow, that's great, where in the US?

Happy Healthy New Year everybody.....including the Eagles :)

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! Saw one flying over the road near our home yesterday. Never get tired of seeing those majestic birds.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

@mrearlygold said:
    Wow, that's great, where in the US?

Happy Healthy New Year everybody.....including the Eagles :)

I'm in New England, Tom; Massachusetts. My backyard backs up on the Merrimack River.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great photo, thanks for posting.
    We see an eagle or two from time to time fishing on our lake here in central NC. I love watching the ducks take emergency cover under the docks.
    Seems like the eagles are doing nicely these days.

Now if we could only get rid of 99% of those pesky Canada geese. Still protected by the goobermint and now a health nuisance. Most of the dang things hang around all year at my place. Nothing but flying poop factories IMHO. Too bad we can't teach the eagles to eat geese.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great post !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful birds. Great pics.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice double eagle in great condition

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably in the tallest tree with a view of the river...

• Options

@jonruns said:
    Probably in the tallest tree with a view of the river...

Right on the bank. Their branch overhangs the river.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kaz said:
    The recovery of the bald eagle after the banning of DDT is one of the great stories of environmental protection.
    NIce photo!

I agree that DDT deserved to be banned. No good for anything. As bad or worse than Chlordane.
    However, I do not think that the bald eagle was ever in danger. At it's worse I know, personally, of at least 13 nesting pairs in Colorado, 23 in Wyoming and thousands more in Canada/Alaska. The alarm was sounded properly and in time to reverse the decline in the lower 48. The same will be said for the weed killer Roundup. Just no huge alarms as it's not affecting animals just humans.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

While building a house up here in New Hampshire I witnessed a bald eagle swoop down and grab a loan from a lake just a few feet from where we were working. The loon was too heavy for the eagle so it swam with the loon in it's talons to the shore. The two on them made one heck of a racket as all this was going on. The neighbors came out and four of us on the work crew watched as nature unfolded. After getting it to land the eagle started to pluck the feathers off before feasting. All the neighbors were upset about losing the loon. There were only 3 mating pair on the lake at that time. It was remarkable to watch

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pics. They are a treasure. Thank you for your service!!

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

Beautiful!

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live in northern Illinois and was at my brother's house and while we were talking 1 flew by at a couple of hundred feet I'm guessing. We stopped talking to watch this beautiful bird fly around. First one I've ever seen in the wild.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you seen this video of hungry eagles???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi3fJwK53QI

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have a few of them hear in The Woodlands, TX and because of them, all building and construction on this particular island has been halted for several years. Never thought I would see one of those in the wild but when I did one day fishing from my kayak was amazed at the majesty.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2019 8:52AM

That is a fantastic picture Bob...Thanks for posting it. There are many, many Eagles in Washington State... used to see them all the time when I lived there. Now, living in the Catskill Mountains, NYS... I see them often, but not as common as out west. Beautiful birds... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

And to think Ben Franklin wanted turkeys to be our national bird. Very great man, but wrong with that idea

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2019 1:00PM

Naw, Ben just wanted a brother.:)

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2019 2:32PM

@kaz said:
    The recovery of the bald eagle after the banning of DDT is one of the great stories of environmental protection.
    NIce photo!

Too bad for the 10’s of millions of people in 3rd world countries that die from malaria since it was banned world wide. But hey, at least we got an eagle.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pic.
    We have nesting eagles up at the north end of the lake

Sitting on my deck here at the top of the hill I love to watch them ride the summer wind currents up to us while they effortlessly search for prey.

• Options

@2dueces said:

Too bad for the 10’s of millions of people in 3rd world countries that die from malaria since it was banned world wide. But hey, at least we got an eagle.

DDT took a human toll as well. And there were other treatments for malaria.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Outhaul said:

@2dueces said:

DDT took a human toll as well. And there were other treatments for malaria.

You know the best treatment for malaria? Not to get it in the first place.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome! The last ones I saw in the wild were on a canoe trip on the Potomac River near the confluence with the Shenandoah. Beautiful sight...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Went trout fishing with a friend this weekend in SE Minnesota. Saw at least 2-3 dozen bald eagles, and probably over half were juveniles, which is a good sign. A couple weeks ago, I spotted about 8 maybe a mile from the Mall of America. Always nice to see.

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2019 9:33PM

@kaz said:
    By the early 1960's there were fewer than 500 nesting pairs of bald eagles recorded in the United States. They were threatened with extinction, due to DDT, habitat destruction, and shooting. Banning DDT was the first step toward recovery, the second was passage of the Endangered Species Act in 1973, the eagle was added to the list in 1978. Thanks to protections, it was removed from the list in 2007, when about 10,000 nesting pairs were recorded. (Source: US Fish and Wildlife Service).

A slight correction: it was removed from the Endangered Species list in 1995, then removed from the Threatened Species list in 2007.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bald_eagle
    It's kind of a scavenger, rather than a top predator, but it's still great to look at (like black/white cats with "boots").
    The golden eagle is larger and more of a top predator, so it might have been a better choice for a national symbol.
    However, the bald eagle is native only to North America, while the golden eagle range includes Europe and Asia, so that may be the primary reason.
    And "looking good" may be a friendlier criteria than dominating other animals! :smile:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_eagle

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2019 9:38PM

@AUandAG said:

@kaz said:
    NIce photo!

I agree that DDT deserved to be banned. No good for anything. As bad or worse than Chlordane.
    However, I do not think that the bald eagle was ever in danger. At it's worse I know, personally, of at least 13 nesting pairs in Colorado, 23 in Wyoming and thousands more in Canada/Alaska. The alarm was sounded properly and in time to reverse the decline in the lower 48. The same will be said for the weed killer Roundup. Just no huge alarms as it's not affecting animals just humans.

They used DDT on sage brush in Wyoming? There's lots of Golden Eagles out there too.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

They used DDT on sage brush in Wyoming? There's lots of Golden Eagles out there too.

Good point. I guess they were never endangered.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file