Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A visit with Dan Carr learning the coining process (Lakesammman, Zoins).

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2, 2024 8:38AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Sometime in early 2018, John (Zoins) and I began to cook up a visit with Dan Carr.

John had purchased a reverse die for the 1950 Seattle Coin club medal featuring a large beaver similar to that used on the North West Company token of 1820. I had the 1946 Oregon Numismatic Society die pair with the smaller beaver similar to that used with the Oregon Exchange Company $10 in 1849. When I saw it, I thought it would make a great pairing with my 1946 Oregon Numismatic Society die with the smaller beaver similar to that used with the Oregon Exchange Company $10 in 1849. We both thought a muling of the 2 would be a fun project.

We contacted Dan about the project and he was open to it. Little did the 3 of us realize how long it would take for the visit to come to fruition – I mailed my dies to Dan in April 2018 and the 3 of us exchanged emails for the rest of the year, finally settling on 12/17/18 to meet in Loveland.

We both must say that Dan was a pleasure to work with. We met for dinner 12/16 with Dan, his wife and my wife. Afterwards, we went to the Moonlight Mint for a tour and discussed the details of the project that would begin the next day. I must say that John had far more creative ideas in mind than I did! Stay tuned for a few examples.

Over the next 2 days, it was a real pleasure to be with Dan as he demonstrated the minting process. He enjoyed describing each part of the process and had infinite patience for all of our questions. I for one have to say that reading about it and experiencing it are 2 very different things.

Dan melted silver and gold in a graphite crucible, pouring each in succession into a flat mold, the product of which was ideal for rolling. As Dan brought out the scrap silver for melting, John saved 2 silver buttons for striking later. While making the silver planchet strip, there was a silver eruption from the flat mold that we called the “Silver Volcano”. The resulting planchet strip was signed by Dan with the text “Daniel Carr Silver Volcano Dec ’18”. Dan has 2 rolling mills, one a smaller hand cranked version, the larger motor driven, both useful. We then punched out the planchets on a hydraulic press, upsetting the edges of some, on others adding a reeded edge. Some of the strips weren’t ideal in width for punching so we made a few planchets with straight and curved clips. Many of the planchets needed cleaning with a “sandblaster” using glass beads. We both helped with the process as we learned more.

After all that, it was time to make the “coins” with the Denver mint surplus Grabener press. I must say, it is one impressive machine up close. Dan took us through the set up process, creating a few die adjustment strikes until the details were being struck up adequately. John saved the die adjustment strikes to document our process. We were surprised to see the entire top of the press moved with each strike and were able to see Dan adjust the pressure to get each piece just right. Dan even let us each do a strike ourselves.

Most of the pieces were struck out of collar as our dies were slightly different size and we were using only the center motif on most. It was fascinating to see the press develop 240 tons of pressure on some of the strikes with seeming ease, the press capacity 400 tons. The “broad striking” process was brought home as the planchets visually became wider with each gentle squeezing.

A number of coins were overstruck using both the center beaver motifs and full dies. For the inner devices, Tim I brought along 22 gold $10 coins, 10 of them 1849, the remainder 10 random date Indian 10’s and 2 random date liberty heads. Dan provided 2 large cents. John brought a variety of coins including $10 gold, $5 gold, 2 cent, half cent, and other coins. A full list is available in the mintage records. From these we struck coins with Tim’s set of dies from 1946 and a smaller number of mules using both beaver dies. John and Dan provided some additional coins for over striking including some half eagles. We also struck 3 mules on .999 gold planchets, 1 for each of us.

In addition, we struck a small number of silver and copper reeded edge coins using the central motif and a few copper, aluminum and silver tokens using the full diameter and design of both dies. This included 2 copper octagonal planchets Dan had left over and the two silver buttons saved from the scrap bin (residual silver at the bottom of the melt). The buttons turned out to be too thick for the Grebener press so Dan struck these on his small hand press, the only hand-powered strikes of our session.

Dan signed two planchet strips for John, including one with the text “Silver Volcano Dec ‘18” alluding to an event creating our silver planchet strip to memorialize the event. We were still picking up small bits of silver of the floor the next day!

Finally, after all our beaver strikes were done the second day, I had to leave for the airport. John had a few extra hours and had brought two additional die pairs for show, Abe Kosoff’s 1939 New York Expo dealer token and the Fort Totten Post Exchange dollar token die pairs. These were brought for discussion, but after the beaver strikes were done there wasn’t enough time to do a number of restrikes with these dies as well.

We are planning on publishing the “pops” of each and if Dan is interested, he can add it to his production blog.

Here are a few pictures of the process and a few of the "coins" Dan helped us create.

Pouring the molten metal into the mold at 2000 degrees.

Large roller press for creating the planchet strips.

Hydraulic press for cutting the planchets.

Dan at the press!

The Oregon dies used in the coining process.

Lakesammman and Carr at the press.

Die being engraved for a 2019 product.

A few of the fantasy coins created in the process.

Silver, copper, full size mule.

1946 dies struck on a 1849 $10.

Mule struck on a 1849 $10.

1 of 3 mules made on a gold planchet.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool, thanks for sharing...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet that was fun.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting and informative thanks for sharing.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool, thanks for sharing. The silver and copper turned out great, and the gold is fun especially for your tastes.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool!

• Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

What fun. :)

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding what a fascinating adventure! Thank you for sharing.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing your experience in detail. Greatly appreciate the insight :)

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be so awesome to visit Dan and see his operation.

I would love to see him play around with equipment to show me (us) how different mint errors happen. I would prefer to see any "manufactured" errors be destroyed at the end of the day.

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing the experience.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

To borrow from Spock - Fascinating

That had to be one of your years highlights.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting this @Lakesammman ! The trip was a blast and it was great working with both Tim and Dan to get these out!

Beyond seeing how things are done and getting some pieces struck, the best parts of the trip for me was learning enough to be able to help and do things ourselves! I got to do the bead blasting, edge rolling, striking, and selective gold plating.

There are a few corrections for the article we discussed that don’t seem to have made it into the final version. I’m still traveling for the holidays but will post more later.

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing write up and story! That entire experience sounds like a dream come true! A Once in a lifetime experience I would adore. Congratulations.
    Rocco

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

I would love to see him play around with equipment to show me (us) how different mint errors happen. I would prefer to see any "manufactured" errors be destroyed at the end of the day.

Sorry to disappoint but a few are in our collections now :)

There’s a tradition of making errors that includes the ANA Summer Seminar and the Gallery Mint. Ken Potter seems to do some as well. But don’t worry, all of these are documented and will be posted!

• Options

@Zoins said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

There’s a tradition of making errors that includes the ANA Summer Seminar and the Gallery Mint. Ken Potter seems to do some as well. But don’t worry, all of these are documented and will be posted!

I was half joking. Wow, it is awesome that you got to see and keep items from the D Carr minting process. I would love that opportunity ;););)

• Options

@Zoins said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    I would prefer to see any "manufactured" errors be destroyed at the end of the day.

Good for you Zion I cannot think of better people who were lucky enough to be involved. Thanks to ALL those involved and Zion keep posting your wonderful coins you have been collecting as of late. I for one really enjoyed your work!!!! Happy New Years to All!

• Options
    edited January 1, 2019 11:05AM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Zoins said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

I was half joking. Wow, it is awesome that you got to see and keep items from the D Carr minting process. I would love that opportunity ;););)

We also have some “real” die adjustment strikes. At first we were going to continue striking them to the right pressure but I decided to keep them so we swapped in a new planchet each time.

• Options
    edited January 1, 2019 11:11AM

@Zoins said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Zoins said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

We also have some “real” die adjustment strikes. At first we were going to continue striking them to the right pressure but I decided to keep them so we swapped in a new planchet each time.

Cool, so those would be considered "real" errors while an intentional let's say double strike would basically be a man made error token, but still, super cool.

• Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kudos and many thanks to all to all for this outstanding, most enjoyable Post.

j

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the 20 or so educational and very interesting posts that have graced our board. Thank you for sharing.
    Happy New Year and wishing you safe travel.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome experience! I would love to own one of those golds...

• Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Too early for POTY???

So cool! I love that last gold piece in the OP. Thanks for sharing. :)

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding!
    What an experience!
    What a post!

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

Open house at the Moonlight Mint would be an awesome event to attend! Thank you for your in depth article!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

NO annealing of the planchets before overstrike?

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

The time, effort, equipment, and knowledge that is needed is very interesting to read and see. Thanks for for this informative post.

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great read -- thanks for posting!!

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    tander123tander123 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

That was a great read. Thanks for sharing!

Excellent BST board members who complete their deals: WONDERCOIN, DABIGKAHUNA, GEMSTATECOINS, FIVECENTS, SILVEREAGLES92, NEWMISMATIST, GTOster, SCHMITZ7,
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent, excellent educational post for me! Great way to start the new year. I have a Lotta respect for Dan.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Must have been a Very nice experience guys!! Thanks for sharing. And PM me when/if you want to sell some of the rejects.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great post. If you haven't checked out the Moonlight Mint website, it is really cool. I love the pictures of the restoration process on the press. You guys are lucky!

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a good time. Pretty cool medals/overstrikes too!

:+1:

• Options
    edited January 2, 2019 2:51AM

@dcarr said:
    It was a fun visit and a lot was accomplished, via hard work and improvisation. The dies were nowhere near the proper shank configuration to fit in my coin press. So they had to be stacked (with a planchet in between) by hand for every strike. The coin press' upper anvil "slapped" the back of the upper die to induce the strikes.

I learned not to use the blow-torch to heat up the silver mold. I've done it before, but this time I did it too much and moisture from the combustion built up in the bottom of the mold. When molten silver was poured in, the spontaneous vaporization of that water caused a "pop" ("silver volcano") and little spheres of hot silver flew out all over the place. That is why I wear eye protection and welding gloves when working with hot materials.

Dan, I really appreciate all the work you did to improvise with the dies and the cobs too. Working with your official dies seems smooth but doing the restrikes took effort and patience. The most seemed to be with the tiny Abe Kosoff dies that popped off with each strike.

I'm glad we were all safe for the unexpected "silver volcano" and the ragged planchet strip it produced. Here's a photo of what we saved from the volcano planchet strip to memorialize the trip. This was used to create the smaller 27mm silver planchets.

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Seems like an experience of a lifetime. Thanks for sharing it. B)

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's great, thanks for sharing the experience :smile:
    Boston

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:
    It was a fun visit and a lot was accomplished, via hard work and improvisation. The dies were nowhere near the proper shank configuration to fit in my coin press. So they had to be stacked (with a planchet in between) by hand for every strike. The coin press' upper anvil "slapped" the back of the upper die to induce the strikes.

I was waiting to hear if that was a challenge or not. Nothing like some good ol' on the spot jury-rigged ingenuity :smile:

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a great report. Met Dan , once. I wish I'd have had more tokens from Colorado. I believe that's something he likes to collect. Thank you for sharing.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

way cool, that was a good read and fun

• Options
    edited June 29, 2019 1:14PM

I wanted to post the two I have. Looking forward to my newest acquisition. :) A big thanks to Lakesammman!
    The Silver Beaver is a 2013 re-Strike using the 1946 dies Oregon Numismatic Society.

I am not sure about the Copper one.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad this got bumped as I missed it in January.

Awesome stuff! :sunglasses: looks like a blast. And to think all those ‘49 Eagles lasted almost 170 years before you all monkeyed with ‘em!

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2019 4:54PM

@7Jaguars said:

@dcarr, to reiterate @7Jaguars question, which I don't think was answered, was any annealing done on the planchets prior to striking?

• Options
    edited June 29, 2019 4:57PM

@jgenn said:

@7Jaguars said:

@dcarr, to reiterate @7Jaguars question, which I don't think was answered, was any annealing done on the planchets prior to striking?

This is a bit of an odd question as overstrikes were done on coins and tokens, not (blank) planchets.

My recollection is annealing of blank planchets was done before regular strikes but no annealing of coins or tokens was done on overstrikes.

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

We then punched out the planchets on a hydraulic press, upsetting the edges of some, on others adding a reeded edge. Some of the strips weren’t ideal in width for punching so we made a few planchets with straight and curved clips.

The original description indicates that planchets were produced for strikes.

• Options
    edited June 29, 2019 5:04PM

@jgenn said:

We then punched out the planchets on a hydraulic press, upsetting the edges of some, on others adding a reeded edge. Some of the strips weren’t ideal in width for punching so we made a few planchets with straight and curved clips.

The original description indicates that planchets were produced for strikes.

But the original question was about “overstrikes” and the planchets weren’t “overstruck”. They were struck the regular way.

So, planchets were annealed and overstrikes were not annealed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file