Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Amazing what can be accomplished when collectors collaborate !

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 31, 2018 11:38AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Abut a week ago I posted a thread titled "Quaker Puffed Rice is not the only thing shot from cannon ---" in relation to correspondence between the Philadelphia Mint and Navy Bureau of Ordnance from 1872. The Ordnance folks wanted a small quantity of pure silver discs made to tight specifications, but available letters said little about why they were wanted or their purpose.

If members go to that original thread, they will learn that members contributed ideas, speculations and pieces of information -- all leading to the apparent solution to the problem -- AND -- discovery of a previously unknown connection between the Mint and U.S. Navy.

What we can all learn: there is a lot of potential if we all offer ideas without judgement, and if we combine talent, expertise and research.

BTW, it was CaptHenway who came up with the solution found in "A Text Book of Naval Ordnance and Gunnery (1875)" by Cdr. Augustus Paul Cooke, (1836-1896) USN. This was a standard text at the Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland.

Comments

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, the knowledge here is immense. People sharing that knowledge to solve or answer a question benefits all of us in a very big way.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

All I did was join a Civil War forum, find a group about Civil War ordnance, and ask the right questions. Somebody there gave me the link I posted over here.

I had noticed the letters in the Mint correspondence and wondered what they were all about. Now we know!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went back and looked at the original thread. Fascinating! Good job, Capt H. !

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

As CaptHenway demonstrated - keep an open mind and follow the leads....

• Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

For Sure!

:)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent research and mystery solved. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file