Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Feedback please

I went to ebay and bought this 42/41.
Seller responded "
I am sorry, we are unable to locate this coin in our inventory. If you are interested, we have a similar coin that is in an ANACS holder graded EF-40. I can sell you the ANACS coin at $449 (and refund you $250 of your purchased price). Otherwise, I can cancel this sale and refund your entire purchase price right away."

Is this a good deal or spin move?

Comments

• Options

I was purchasing an xf45

• Options
    MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a bait and switch.

• Options

Ok thank you. I dont understand why people do this.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MattTheRiley said:
    Sounds like a bait and switch.

For the next listing they'll switch the bait.

• Options
    JasonGamingJasonGaming Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2018 1:38PM

Tell them you want the full refund and leave a negative feedback saying they were trying a bait and switch.

Always buying nice toned coins! Searching for a low grade 1873 Arrows DDO Dime and 1842-O Small Date Quarter.

• Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please advise the sellers link.

• Options
    numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭

Generally,you should buy the coin you want...not the coin they want to sell you.That said,have you examined the ANACS coin to see if it checked out?

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Options

Yeah man you couldnt be more right thank you!!! I'm gonna pass on the ANACS on go with PCGS and and the minimum grade I wanted was a 45. Thank you. I appreciate that feedback.

• Options
    bobsrbobsr Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

This looks to me like a new variation on the commom" bait & switch". Seller hijacks another vendors pics on a coin with low or no bids and starts an auction. If it sells for more than the vendors BIN or current bid he buys it and sends to auction winner. If his auction price is lower than the original vendors price, he looks for another auction or something lesser or gives refund. He has no inventory cost and no cost of sale. All he is out is his time to cut and paste.
    Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would ask the seller to cancel the sale and list the alternate coin with a price and photos. Then you can choose to buy through the Bay at the higher price or offline at a lower price or not buy at all.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

This should be in the coin forum, not BST.

• Options

I think he legit lost the item lonestarsa69

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you even bother to ask for a pic of the ANACS coin? That coin may have been a better deal. Also, the seller may have actually lost the coin or he may have just sold it in his coin shop and didn't delete his eBay listing fast enough.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    FishproFishpro Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

Lost it? Great story but sounds like a project for a creative writing class.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2019 5:53PM
  • Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Charleshicks51 said:
    I went to ebay and bought this 42/41.
    Seller responded "
    I am sorry, we are unable to locate this coin in our inventory. If you are interested, we have a similar coin that is in an ANACS holder graded EF-40. I can sell you the ANACS coin at $449 (and refund you $250 of your purchased price). Otherwise, I can cancel this sale and refund your entire purchase price right away."

Is this a good deal or spin move?

Depends who the dealer is. Period

Big dealers have many customers
    running straight to "bait" can be a stretch. Just saying

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe you made the right decision.... Full refund and now go look for the coin that pleases YOU!! Cheers, RickO

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I accidentally sold a coin I had listed on eBay once, and didn't catch it until the auction was over. I apologized profusely and refunded the money immediately.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

I won't name names, but the B&M I work at, it happens from time to time. We have several thousand listings and some of the stock is from 10+ years ago. Multiple employees over the years not removing the stuff from inventory, etc and stuff gets sold that we don't have anymore.

I've seen the same accusations aimed at my store and I just refund their money and move on. Bait and switch just doesn't happen at my store, there's nothing to be gained from it.

This could very well be a similar situation...

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CuKevin said:
    You wouldn’t believe how often a coin truly gets lost, or sold and not removed from inventory/eBay, at medium-large size coin operations.

Yeah, this is true.
    It happens to me sometimes if I sell a coin at a show and don't have time to remove it from eBay right away.
    It almost never fails.....even if the coin has been up a couple of months with no action.....sells at a show and sells again before you get home, lol

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm with the "give the seller some grace" crowd. Stuff happens, then I move on. I've actually been in the same position as your seller, much to my chagrin - and bent over backwards to make amends to the buyer.

I really do wish that you'd taken the opportunity to examine the other coin - it could have worked out in your favor,

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

You didn't lose anything. Seller made good. Thanks for the post.

I think it was an honest mistake.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Things happen. I sold a coin a few weeks ago that didn't match the picture. The one I sent was as nice as the one pictured. The key's were I sent the man something and I told him if it wasn't satisfactory, I'd gladly refund.

He was cool about it.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you need a little more proof of a "Bait n Switch" before you hang this seller from the nearest Oak Tree.

GrandAm :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file