Home U.S. Coin Forum

Cherry Pickers - you know who you are! Lets see those cherries picked in 2018!

WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

And maybe even hand out a few "You Suck" awards for doing such a great job. Post them! its your time to show how good a picker you are...

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.

Comments

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2018 10:10AM

Here are three of them. First one is just an AU58 (the third of this grade I have had graded of this variety), the other 2 are top pops for the variety.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few of my better ones. All from ebay

1925-S 2-feathers, unattributed in slab

1930 FS-101 picked raw, will be submitted eventually, I'm guessing a 63

1920 No Designer Initial

1913-S 2-feathers. Posted yesterday

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice group of abraded dies you have there!

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice picks!

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • @Aercus said:
    I had some good ones this year but was really pleased about pulling this proof out of a mixed morgan lot in an auction. I was lucky no one else at the auction pegged it as a proof. Probably not my absolute best in terms of monetary gain but I was just pleased to rescue it from the pile.

Wow! Nice find.

How is that missed by an auction company - or by other bidders at the auction? Was it a non-coin auction house?

• Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2018 4:10PM

Crossed this 41 large S from white anacs 64fb.
    Now a pcgs 65fb. top pop 2/0.
    D.L. Hansen has the other one in his complete variety set.

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• kazkaz Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

unattributed RPD, 1876-S trade dollar.

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2018 3:41PM

For some reason I have been obsessively looking at 1909 Lincolns on eBay, in the last month I’ve cherried two unattributed clips (a Philly VDB and an uncirculated 1909-S) and an RPM-1 with a large obverse lamination.

I also picked up a zinc 1982 cent with a giant clip which was auctioned with the weight but not the composition in the listing.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unattributed 1876-P Type 2/2 Hub Combination w/ Chop Marks. Ended up trading it to another forum member who appreciates the date and associated varieties. More than once I have found myself wishing that I still had it.

• AercusAercus Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭

@SmithAuctionCo said:

@Aercus said:
    I had some good ones this year but was really pleased about pulling this proof out of a mixed morgan lot in an auction. I was lucky no one else at the auction pegged it as a proof. Probably not my absolute best in terms of monetary gain but I was just pleased to rescue it from the pile.

Wow! Nice find.

How is that missed by an auction company - or by other bidders at the auction? Was it a non-coin auction house?

General estate auction house. They do a lot of work with large estates and for the state govt. While they know some things about coins, they wouldn't be able to pick out a proof morgan from a garden variety PL business strike. I was more surprised no bidders picked it out. There are some sharp ones down here (Florida).

Aercus Numismatics - Certified coins for sale

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oddly I've done better with scrap jewelry and watches more so than coins this year. Watches like these are not cheap to begin with so not cheap flips. The Panerai was $3200 flipped for 4k after wearing for awhile for awhile and realized it was too thick to wear with button sleeves. The Heuer is a 2446c GMT and is factory fresh from 1968, found at a flea market for $4. The Rolex too is from 1968, 1675 model and mostly original, so far the most I've paid for a watch, I wear it most days.

Only great cherry pick of a coin is a Chinese piece I had posted in the world side. Bought for $80 as part of a lot. Should sell for a tidy profit at auction, nice toning on this type is hard to find.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice timepieces @Jinx86 !

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jinx86 said:
    The Heuer is a 2446c GMT and is factory fresh from 1968, found at a flea market for $4.

Very nice looking watch! What would a replacement retail for?

• TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭

unattributed ddr fs802

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
    More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

• TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2019 12:36AM

I got the 1877-s ddr fs801 chop mark unattributed as well.

attributed:
    1876-s ddo
    1876-s rpd
    1877-s rpd
    1878-s ddr
    1875-s/cc 501 and 502
    1877-p ddo

several others - all attributed and with chop marks.

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
    More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChopmarkedTrades said:

@Jinx86 said:
    The Heuer is a 2446c GMT and is factory fresh from 1968, found at a flea market for $4.

Very nice looking watch! What would a replacement retail for?

If sold it would cover my mortgage for about 2 years. I wore it at the Philly ANA and had a few dealers stop me and ask how much I wanted. Just because I'm a dealer doesn't mean everything is for sale.

• BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got the following two three and half legged 1913 type one buffalo nickels........

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2019 4:53PM

Bought as a counterfeit, posted it here, and found out it was something else:

3 1943-P Double-Eye DDO-006's and 2 1943 RPM-007's in one roll:

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just got this one back from pcgs. It's an early die state found unattributed in an ngc 63.

• GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2019 10:45PM

• KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've posted this here before. BF-1!

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pics of picks here :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought this Arsinoe dekadrachm for $7K in January 2018 and sold it for $32K in May after recognizing that it had a 1910 pedigree. I can't do that every day but I certainly don't complain when the stars align!

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SmEagle1795 said:
    I bought this Arsinoe dekadrachm for $7K in January 2018 and sold it for $32K in May after recognizing that it had a 1910 pedigree. I can't do that every day but I certainly don't complain when the stars align!

WOW, congrats :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• EdtheloraxEdthelorax Posts: 229 ✭✭✭

I got this one on ebay, BIN. It was priced like a good. After I won the book that it came from at ebay auction, I felt compelled to help the seller with some of the other coins he inherited. It should be coming back soon with a Trueview. This 43-S came in the book, it wasn't the best coin in that book but a real cherry pick. I'll show more of the nicer coins in the book when I start another post sometime. The book pics are the seller's. I'll only post the first 2 pages, the rest are just average.

http://www.silverstocker.com
    Anyone can PM me Any Time about Any thing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file