Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Buffalo Nickel, die crack or pmd?

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 31, 2018 6:46AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I like this Buff as much for the date as I do for the mechanical doubling of the eye lid, but there is a die crack below liberty and maybe pmd thru the LIB. It looks suspicious to me as pmd. Your opinions please.
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2018 7:03AM

It looks like a die crack below LIBERTY. The mark through LIB may be a small planchet defect and not PMD. There also may be a small lamination above the 1st 1 in the date but I can't say for certain based on the pics

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The flaw in IB could be PMD or possibly a planchet flaw... based on the picture, I favor PMD. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

The disruption on LIB looks like planchet flaw based on pic... the one in the field below LIBERTY looks like a die crack. I don't think it is Post Mint Damage....

----- kj
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think both "cracks" are related to an undeveloped planchet lamination.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

That "crack" below LIBERTY is interesting. First time I ever seen an example that has it.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

BTW, not my coin. Saw for sale on ebay and the die crack and the mechanical doubling of the eye lid caught my fancy. I believe I'll pass. Thanks all.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    ponderitponderit Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2019 11:49AM

I'm pretty sure I have a die match to this one. The crack looks to be a perfect match. OP coin's crack extends a bit further to the left than my pic shows but in hand the little upward tail is there.

Bill

Successful BST transactions with Rob41281, crazyhounddog, Commoncents, CarlWohlford, blu62vette, Manofcoins, Monstarcoins, coinlietenant, iconbuster, RWW,Nolawyer, NewParadigm, Flatwoods, papabear, Yellowkid, Ankur, Pccoins, tlake22, drddm, Connecticoin, Cladiator, lkeigwin, pursuitofliberty
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, Bill. That's a nice coin you have there.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the color on that 1913!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file