Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

My Collection: A Tribute to the 1977 Topps Mark Fidrych #265 Rookie Card

CWCW Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭

As the baseball HOF once posted on Twitter, "Mark Fidrych's 1977 Topps card captures his warmth and authenticity, elements that made him a national sensation in 1976."

Just as Fidrych's career was a brief flash of greatness that lasted but one year, so too was his impact on the baseball card hobby. One card, his 1977 Topps rookie card (#265 in the set), still stands to this day as one of Topps' finest creations. The stars aligned when they made the Fidrych rookie card.

For me, the fascination with this card started very early in life. Back in '77, nearly every kid in the neighborhood wanted the debut card of the Tigers' rookie phenom, Mark “The Bird” Fidrych. With that red, curly hair tucked under his ballcap, a Topps All-Star rookie Trophy in the bottom right corner, a facsimile signature that resembled the scribbles of a kid, and that warm, genuine smile, this card captured the hearts of many kids and baseball fans across the country. I got lucky -- I pulled a Fidrych RC in one of my very first packs, a memory I can still recall to this day (despite my age).

I actually still have that exact card, thanks in large part to my Mom. Here's the story, which will help explain the collection that's to follow:

During my 20s, I did not collect cards so my childhood collection of baseball cards, spanning '77 through '85, was stored in my parents' attic. When I got back into collecting in my early 30s, I grabbed all those old cards from my parents' house but I never really went back through all the cards (I just stored them away). I always assumed that the original Fidrych RC I pulled from a pack in 77 was tucked away in those boxes.

Fast forward about 10 years. I happened to be visiting my Mom one day and the subject of baseball cards came up (she was a baseball fan, and a big fan of Fidrych). My Mom, then approaching 80 years of age, asked me if I wanted to see her collection of baseball cards she had saved over the years.

When my Mom returned from getting the cards, she offered to give me her small collection, a stack of a few dozen 70s baseball cards. However she had one card set aside in a plastic screwdown holder.

"You can have those cards," she said, "but I'm keeping this one. He's my guy!"

To my surprise, in her hand was a beat up 77 Topps Fidrych rookie card, the same one I pulled from a pack in 1977! All this time she had kept it in her small collection of cards. When my Mom passed away due to old age a couple years later, my sisters were going through her things and I told them I only really wanted one item from her belongings. Here it is, in all of it's creased glory:

About 7 to 8 years ago I decided to start picking up nicely centered PSA 9 examples of The Bird's RC. Along the way I added a couple PSA 10s, bringing my current total of "high grade" Fidrych rookies to 20 cards. Here's a collage of the whole group first, and then the PSA 10s by themselves:

In early 2018 I decided to expand the Fidrych RC collection to be any card that pays tribute to the 1977 RC or uses the same photo shoot (eg. the ERA leaders card from '77 Topps, as well as 1977 and 1979 Hostess). I am by no means a Fidrych "super collector" as my goal is not to collect every Fidrych card, just those cards that are connected to the Topps rookie from '77. One of the best aspects of this collection is most cards aren't very expensive and it's been a lot of fun to assemble. Here is what I have so far:

And here's some better scans of each piece, with some background info on some:

1977 OPC Mark Fidrych PSA 9 (note that both the trophy and all-star banner are missing, giving the card a more minimalist look):

1977 Topps Cloth Sticker PSA 8:

Raw version of 1977 Topps Cloth Sticker with 2 stars on back variation (see lower left):

1977 Topps Cloth Sticker Unopened Pack with Fidrych on Back (PSA 8):

1977 Topps RC Autographed (I was fortunate enough to have the first card given to me as a gift by a good friend and fellow collector):

1977 Topps Venezuelan Sticker -- these were issued in Venezuela, a small set of 40 "stickers" based on the '77 Topps design. These are not technically stickers since they did not come with adhesive on the reverse. These are paper thin and usually found with glue or paste residue on the back due to being stuck into albums, as they were intended. Tough to find and very condition sensitive, but not pricey at all:

This next piece was thoughtfully given to me by Mike R. (Stone193 here on CU) years ago in exchange for a donation to a charity based thread he was running (thanks again, Mike!). It's the original pen and ink artwork for the 1977 Topps Dusty Baker card, which happened to have an image of Fidrych. It would be cool to someday pick up the artwork for the comic that appeared on the back of the #265 Fidrych card, if it exists. I haven't framed this piece yet, but the 2nd image shows a rendering of how I might frame it one day:

The 1977 Topps ERA Leaders card has a photo from the same photo shoot as the Fidrych RC, actually taken in Yankee stadium based on the background. Fidrych doesn't look so happy in this shot: :)

In 2015, Topps did the ERA Leaders card as an "Original Buyback" card, inserting the original old card into modern packs. I would love to find the original #265 RC as an original buyback:

2001 Topps American Pie Rookie Reprint Relic:

2001 Topps Archives Fan Favorites AUTO:

2004 Topps Fan Favorites -- On this modern tribute card, Fidrych, a right handed pitcher, seems to be having some fun here as he's throwing lefty in the photo:

2004 Topps Fan Favorites AUTO:

2010 Topps Update "Cards Your Mom Threw Out" (regular back):

2010 Topps Update "Cards Your Mom Threw Out" (original 1977 back):

In 2018, I asked 2 artists to make sketch cards of the Fidrych RC. Both of these talented artists use Twitter to share their baseball card drawings. The first one is by Mark Mosley aka IDrawBaseballCards on Twitter

And the 2nd is from Mike Noren, aka GummyArts on Twitter

Posting a few cool links and my "wantlist" in the next post...

Comments

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2018 5:21AM

Amazing. And the best one of them all and all the ones you will eventually acquire is the one that was your mom's. To me, that one's got the right kind of care and love written all over it.

Andy

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is some serious dedication! Love it!

Good luck on the quest to find the items on your want list!

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesomeness

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

I started collecting in 78 so missed out on pulling the Bird from a pack. But I absolutely remember trading for it ... gave up a lot. Just went and found that card, if I were lucky enough to get a nice grader, it’s maybe a PSA 3. Back then, you were just excited to get the card into your collection, and not blow up eBay scans to see if centering was 48/52 or 45/55. That’s the innocence I miss that I don’t think can be easily recaptured ... until posts like this prompt me to go find the card and bring back some great memories.

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great post and collection! I remember the Fidrych craze well. I would turn 15 in 1977 and that set was the third one that I build card by card.

Daniel
  • brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing. Very fun to look at your collection.

• detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭✭

My favorite player of all time! And what rock have I been living under to just now realize that OPC did not use either the all star or the rookie designators?

• robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2019 11:13AM

• mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

I was a fan of that card back in the day as well. I can't explain why, but I was really into the mid 70s Tiger cards. I was not a fan of the team or the players per se, but I just love the 75-78 Tiger cards. Fidrych was one of the best of the batch too. Not usually a fan of portrait cards, preferring the action shots, but this card sold me with the AS badge and rookie cup. Some may disagree, but give his card a pose like the Staub or the Tanana from the same set and that card could have been in the running for greatest looking card of all time (my current choice being the 71 Munson).

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • CWCW Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the comments, everyone, and I'm glad you're all enjoying the collection!

It's funny because that original, beat up Fidrych that I inherited from my Mom, the one that basically started my journey into collecting cards, has a value of about 42 cents, but it's actually priceless because I'd never sell it.

I may get in touch with Mouschi one day and have him make a custom. I saw another Fidrych collector did that on Blowout and the card was amazing.

@maddux69 said:
    I like your style, nice collection! There is a 2003 shoebox collection on eBay/COMC

THANKS for the heads up on this, Jason! I can't believe I missed it this whole time. I just picked one up for the collection (and the funniest part is I actually found it a bit cheaper at Dean's. What??!). :)

• thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

This is a great post thanks for sharing
    what an awesome collection!!!

Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

You’re on to something with the t-shirts. You should start a little business on the side. I’d bet you’d be out of stock on 71 Munson’s constantly. I’d buy a 76 Lynn, a 74 Fisk, and maybe a few others if you had bulk pricing.

• addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2018 5:20PM

If you talk about The Bird around my Boomer Dad his face lights up. He was a god in Detroit in the late 70’s. Sweet collection!

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very great presentation. I remember his playing days well. I have a "Bird" somewhere packed away. Probably just a 4 or 5. But don't really care about the grade.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
    edited December 31, 2018 8:17PM

@GreenSneakers said:
    You’re on to something with the t-shirts. You should start a little business on the side. I’d bet you’d be out of stock on 71 Munson’s constantly. I’d buy a 76 Lynn, a 74 Fisk, and maybe a few others if you had bulk pricing.

:) Well, the t-shirt endeavor turned out to be quite the process.

Typically I would use a site like Zazzle.com to have a custom t-shirt made up. However when I submitted a Fidrych RC design, it was rejected due to copyright issues -- not only copyright claims with Topps and the Tigers, but also due to Fidrych's image. I tried to remove all Topps and Tigers logos with photoshop and it was still rejected. So, due to copyright issues, a business would probably be good at first, but I would probably get into some trouble down the road.

When I could not get the t-shirt made online, and the National fast approaching, I took a suggestion from a guy at work and just bought some color iron on transfers that you can make with an inkjet printer. So after a little trial and error with the printer and clothes iron, voila! Custom t-shirt. :)

I even replaced part of the Topps copyright line on the back of the card to include a special shout out:

• mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

We were on a family vacation and in some cheap hotel somewhere in Montana and watched the 6/28/76 Fidrych game that was nationally televised. We made it home to watch Fidrych pitch in the All-Star game on 7/13. Needless to say, I still remember pulling a Fidrych in 1977 and I remember sadly reading the news of Fidrych's arm injury that would basically end his career.

Love your collection. I still have my Fidrych cards and they'd be among a few of the last cards I'd give up.

Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

I remember him so well eve after all these years.

Nice story. I have a psa 8 and now I want a psa 9

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chuck

I remember watching “The Bird” that season and he was so much fun to watch - talking to the ball, manicuring the mound, SI cover with Big Bird.... Shame he had the arm injury or else what could have been. Love collecting multiples of the same card and how you have covered all the bases... Well almost 😉

One other thing you could pick up to add to your extensive collection would be a 1977 cello with Fidrych on the front plus a 1977 rack with him showing. That would be a cool piece to round out your collection. Thanks for sharing and Happy New Year!

KC

@KendallCat said:
    Chuck

I remember watching “The Bird” that season and he was so much fun to watch - talking to the ball, manicuring the mound, SI cover with Big Bird.... Shame he had the arm injury or else what could have been. Love collecting multiples of the same card and how you have covered all the bases... Well almost 😉

One other thing you could pick up to add to your extensive collection would be a 1977 cello with Fidrych on the front plus a 1977 rack with him showing. That would be a cool piece to round out your collection. Thanks for sharing and Happy New Year!

KC

Thanks, Keith! I recall you also having a nice PSA 9 Fidrych in your '77 Topps All-Star subset collection. A must have for every collection! :)

And I agree that I need to get a cello or a rack pack. Unfortunately, according to a couple pack experts I know, the Fidrych RC can't be found on the top of a cello due to only being distributed in the bottom half those packs. A rack is a definite possibility, though, and I am on the lookout. B)

• DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chuck,

Great post— what it's all about. Hope 2019 is a great one for ya.

Best,

MC

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2019 8:48PM

Thanks, Keith! I recall you also having a nice PSA 9 Fidrych in your '77 Topps All-Star subset collection. A must have for every collection! :)

And I agree that I need to get a cello or a rack pack. Unfortunately, according to a couple pack experts I know, the Fidrych RC can't be found on the top of a cello due to only being distributed in the bottom half those packs. A rack is a definite possibility, though, and I am on the lookout. B)

I do have one in my 77 all star subset, and just picked up the last card to finish off my 1974 AS subset in PSA 8+. Now I need to finish 75 and 76 with a few cards. I am also doing 70’s racks and if I come across a 77 with the Bird showing I will grab it for you.

KC

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya Chuck

Ya know?

I never tire of reading about your admiration and affection for your tribute to Mark Fidrych.

I do have a bunch of 77T originals - not sure if I have #265? But if I do? It's yours buddy.

Happy New Year and best of luck with your search in 2019.

Mike
    edited January 2, 2019 7:30AM

Thanks very much, fellas!

@Stone193 said:
    Hiya Chuck

Ya know?

I never tire of reading about your admiration and affection for your tribute to Mark Fidrych.

I do have a bunch of 77T originals - not sure if I have #265? But if I do? It's yours buddy.

Happy New Year and best of luck with your search in 2019.

Happy New Year, Mike! If you happen to find the artwork, that would be great, but if not don't sweat it. I'm definitely enjoying the cartoon that's already in the collection.

Here's what the cartoon would look like. No worries if you don't have it. Thank you, as always

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭

very cool collection, thanks for sharing

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2019 10:45AM

Thanks for taking the time to post this Chuck. I still have my first card I pulled from a pack too, a 1976 Topps Tug McGraw. And before the jokes start, yes I did rip open packs as a kid. What can I say, I was foolish and reckless back then.

And the t-shirt looks even cooler in person. Good luck in the quest for the reminding cards Chuck and Happy New Year!!

Edited to add photo of Tug McGraw, "Ya Gotta Believe!!"

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2019 12:40PM

I hate to post this Chuck as I can't sell the rack since it is from a full box I purchased, but I'll leave it as a placeholder here for you. Note that Fidrych should appear in the middle section of a 1977 rack pack.

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing; I love this!

The 1977 OPC ERA Leaders card is easy to find and inexpensive. Looks like that is the next one for you to pick up?

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fidrych's fastball always reminded me of Sidd Finch

I've been thoroughly enjoying reading these comments and how many of you were also affected by the greatness of The Bird.

Mike, Happy New Year to you as well and it's great to see that childhood McGraw card! Thanks for posting that one and the '77 rack pack as well, which basically made my jaw drop to the floor. :dizzy: Yes, I am jealous but happy to see it in a collection like yours. Jim Rice wasn't too shabby, neither. Very cool!

@miwlvrn said:
    Thanks for sharing; I love this!

The 1977 OPC ERA Leaders card is easy to find and inexpensive. Looks like that is the next one for you to pick up?

Thanks for reading and the heads up, too. I've been on the fence with that one, but I think you are right, yes, I will eventually have to pick that one up. 4SharpCorners has had a PSA 9 OPC ERA Leaders on eBay for $22 for some time now and I might have to snag it when the next decent coupon hits. :)

I did pick up a beautiful new signed copy of #265, PSA graded, so I'll update the thread with a few new cards when the 2003 Topps Shoebox Collection card arrives.

Hell yeah, brother! Thanks, PM sent. :)

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was 4 years old, living in Pontiac, MI when Fidrych hit the scene in 1976. He was a God in my eyes. I had a book about him and so on. The following year, I signed up to play t-ball. And Dad took me to the sporting goods store to get a glove. I got a Mark Fidrych model. That glove was amazing. Although I got it at 5 years old, it continued to fit me until I hit my 20s. It was beat up on the inside but still worked great and was a dream to wear. Alas, it disappeared during a move and I no longer have it. Lots and lots of good memories attached to that mitt and Fidrych in general.