Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Old Proof Gold and DMPL silver Questions/Thoughts

ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is just an observation and looking for thoughts:

Almost all the early proof gold and DMPL silver (morgans) I have seen has been in brand new holders (CAC or not), looking like they were just minted yesterday. There are a few in older holders that have some original skin that tends to be orange in color for gold and hazy for silver, but these are very few. I actually enjoy the original gold pieces, but they'll never have the flash that these "fresh" pieces have.

Is it safe to say that coins like this will eventually haze over or tone as it seems that 90% of them have been dipped? Should you worry about the stability as a purchaser? A fair amount of DMPLs that I have seen in Fattys and OGH still, do not look like they'll even make PL today and are hazy. Is this the fate of all the shiny, fresh looking pieces we see in new holders today? Will these coins have to be perpetually dipped and reholdered forever?

Let me know your thoughts.

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.

Comments

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not necessarily. I'm sure many have been dipped, but many remain blast white from remaining in the center of an original mint bag. I wouldn't conclude anything. The DPL/DMPL and PL standards have definitely tightened since the old days, since your observations are correct on that front.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The answer to your question depends on the environment they were exposed to prior to encapsulation.... and what residues were collected on the surfaces during that period. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    slider23slider23 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2018 10:41AM

I an not sure what you are referring to with the haze on Morgan DMPL silver being original. As noted the grading standards tightened on DMPL, and there are a number of DMPL in older holders that will not get cracked out because mirror reflectivity is below current standard, and those coins would grade PL today. The old fatty can cause a rim tone on the DMPL that can be very attractive.

• Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2018 12:49PM

Nice center cut pork chops Ike! :D

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is considerable variation in proof gold alloy and post-manufacture treatment. Some coins were carefully preserved, others were handled or even put into circulation by owners. Until about WW-II proof gold brought only small premiums.

Cleaning and dipping have also altered the natural surfaces of some coins, but it cannot be assumed that an "orange"-looking piece is original, or that a "perfect" piece has been dipped. Look at as many coins as you can and take notes about what you see.

• Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks lol i have another dmpl but the mirrors are only 4 inches on both sides in a newer ngc holder. I was told 8 inches was the standard in the 90's??

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file