Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Feuchtwanger experts: speak.

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 30, 2018 5:38PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Not my coin. Not yet, anyway.

Like it, though. Thinking about it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

No hole?

• Options
    edited December 30, 2018 5:56PM

Had one with a hole, back in my Holey Coin Vest days (which ended a decade ago).

Can't recall if I ever owned an unholed one before or since. Maybe a VG-ish example.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭

My opinion would be to pass.. the scratches between the beak and feet would bother me.. unless they are on the slab..
    Is that a $150-200 coin? I do not know.. just a guess

Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass It has some major active green growth under the body behind the leg.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

Denticles retooled over rim damage at 5 o’clock?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

Pin scratches atop the word ONE and CENT.

All that black crust in the wing details is environmental damage.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

agree.. the scratches and the green stuff bother me too.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not expert in any way, but I feel vertigris is awaiting the next owner. Pass.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@Musky1011 said:
    My opinion would be to pass.. the scratches between the beak and feet would bother me.. unless they are on the slab..
    Is that a $150-200 coin? I do not know.. just a guess

Those are hairlines on the surface of the cent.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Consensus seems it is Feucht up. :o

• Options
    ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭

Too many issues on a token that can be found in decent shape.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it for german silver ... those other guys are too picky

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    I like it for german silver ... those other guys are too picky

Was going to say something similar. In general, these things look pretty rough, and are taken into account in the grade and price. The green "stuff" is the only thing that would probably concern me.

Wouldn't hurt to keep looking around. These aren't particularly "rare".

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    1946Hamm1946Hamm Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had this one a long time.

Have a good day, Gary
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

I realize it's old German silver, but the scratches and the green patch give me pause...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

The green can be "fixed" the scratches cannot. If that coin is not detailed... :(

Without the scratches on the rev. and the green removed it's a fine example.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2018 1:47AM

I’m mostly known for my Indian cent expertise but I’d say it’s a good looking coin if the price is right. Nice even color.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan said:
    Had one with a hole, back in my Holey Coin Vest days (which ended a decade ago).

Can't recall if I ever owned an unholed one before or since. Maybe a VG-ish example.

Time flies. I still remember that thread.

• Options

The coin is in a PCGS XF45 holder. Straight graded.

Thank y'all for the input and keen eyesight. I totally missed the greenish deposit on the eagle's undercarriage.

• Options

@lordmarcovan said:

Thank y'all for the input and keen eyesight. I totally missed the greenish deposit on the eagle's undercarriage.

The recut denticles at 5 o'clock do not bother you?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    I would be most concerned about the scratches on the reverse. The at the top, between the break in the wreath is the most distracting. Also there is a lot of copper-nickel spot corrosion on this piece, represented by the black and green spotting. These tokens are not that rare and pricey. I think that you could find another one that is a bit nicer for the grade.

Here is the one that has been my collection for a long time. I won another one for an exhibit I did at the FUN show a few years ago.

WOW!

• Options

@CaptHenway said:

@lordmarcovan said:

The recut denticles at 5 o'clock do not bother you?

I didn't notice them.

• Options

Nor, apparently, did the TPG. I did mention it up above.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should this token be put to death?
    Geez, I've seen Chinese counterfeits take less heat. :D

• Options

@topstuf said:
    Should this token be put to death?
    Geez, I've seen Chinese counterfeits take less heat. :D

PCGS actually has been grading these longer than all other exonumia.

So seeing this in a non details holder is a real shame.

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember at the place I did community service for school at a collectables shop, the shop owner had many stacks of feuchtwangers

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2018 11:30AM

A "scratch" is more severe than a "hairline!" The two on the reverse are not random. That is the only thing that kills a very attractive coin. When it comes time to sell, that is the second thing the buyer is going to point out to get the price lowered.

A "coin doctor" would remove the green corrosion and go to his capsule of black crud (collected from other coins over time) and use it to fill in the scratches on the reverse. That's why a careful examination of coins is a habit we all should get into. I don't see any problem with the rims.

The TPGS graders must walk a fine line when grading objects almost two hundred years old! Looks like I landed on the tough side of this one.

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

I stand corrected as those are scratches on the reverse.

Tom

• Options

Could you please show that odd rim at 5o’clock on another specimen from these dies?

• Options
    edited December 31, 2018 11:49AM

I knew you would ask that so I was looking for it as I posted the 3-d previously. Unfortunately, I'm out of town. I'll post when I return to town. In the meantime, if you google "feuchtwanger 3-D" you may find one on-line. The 3-D is scarce and generally goes for 4 or 5 k in xf. The Bowers specimen was overgraded as an NGC 53 and sold for $6900. I have posted photos of them before on this site, but I cannot seem to find them.

Tom

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is an article on attribution and die marriages

novanumismatics.com/feuchtwangers-composition-cent-attribution-die-marriages-2/

• Options

@CaptHenway said:
    Nor, apparently, did the TPG. I did mention it up above.

I saw that. I meant I didn't notice them before.

• Options

As in this:

https://www.apmex.com/product/40551/1837-hard-times-token-feuchtwanger-cent-xf-ht-268-3b

I stand corrected. I have never seen one of these with the rim like that.

• Options
    edited December 31, 2018 1:56PM

I liked the contrasting crustiness of the coin, and the color.

Didn't notice the deposit. I noticed the rim irregularity but it didn't claim much of my attention and as such no, it wouldn't have particularly bothered me.

I noticed the hairline scratches. The obverse didn't bother me. The reverse ones were in my view the biggest negative attribute the coin had.

I still find the coin attractive despite the comments here, but will not be buying it. You see, it is somewhat stiffly priced vis-a-vis auction records for PCGS XF45 examples (in the ballpark, but at the high end of it).

I emailed the seller yesterday to inquire about price flexibility, but given the comments here and the fact I haven't heard back from the seller, I reckon I'll pass.

If y'all had loved it, I might have pursued it. I still think it handsome for the contrast.

I made offers on an ancient and a medieval bracteate instead.

• Options

@CaptHenway said:
    As in this:

https://www.apmex.com/product/40551/1837-hard-times-token-feuchtwanger-cent-xf-ht-268-3b

I stand corrected. I have never seen one of these with the rim like that.

Exactly. Every scarce 3-D variety I have seen had this quality. Someone, Broadstruck, I believe, once listed all 3-Ds sold...about 7 or 8 of them. I think that the D reverse was used after the E reverse, so that die marker is even more extreme. But I have seen it on some 3-Es. A lso, I believe that your linked coin is not a 3-B..it's also a 3-E.
    So, what is this caused by? On the 3-Ds I have seen, the die is not eroded or failing. It looks like it is "crushed" or something.

Tom

• Options

BTW, the top image in the OP is from the cert page. No TrueView style background. Just white. A CoinFacts image then, I gather?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file