Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What will be your first coin purchase of 2019 - please share

BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't really plan on anything until Long Beach, but you never know :)

How 'bout you?

Comments

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

MUCH more modest stuff than I've been messing with up til now. :)

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope it will be a 1930 merc in 65FB, but I suspect it will be something else.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably a 1954 proof Franklin.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for the just-right-for-me no motto Saint. It's an easy coin to find, but I haven't found mine yet.

mirabela
  • Options
    panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will not be buying any coins this year.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geez, that's a tough one. I'd like to do an unopened bank roll of wheaties for errors. Hit some out of the way pawn shops and antique places in the boonies. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

probably a roll of circ Walkers with my Ebay Bucks.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a coin, but my eBay Bucks will get me a five ounce Silvertowne silver bar. The one with the Eagle on it. Next week.

I am badly torn between buying historic coins and stacking the PMs. Both are serious addictions.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

and my bonus bucks will be picking up a few tubes of ASEs

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably the end of the hobby for me. Selling, not buying. I hope that I have zero buys in 2019 and even fewer going forward.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

I won’t know until I get to FUN!🙂

• Options

@ARCO said:
    Probably the end of the hobby for me. Selling, not buying. I hope that I have zero buys in 2019 and even fewer going forward.

I feel for you, Arco, but don't think it is right to hit the like button. Best wishes going forwards.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

More then likely something Silver or Gold.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am yet to get my feet down on Earth ;) .... then likely more gold and for sure the 2019 Reverse Proof Palladium Eagle :)

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine will be my US Mint product fulfillment of the 2019 Silver Proof SAE.

• Options
    rmorganrmorgan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭✭

Much of the enjoyment of this hobby is the joy of discovery. I am hoping that my first coin of the year will come from a local coin show in January - which of course means that at this time I have no idea what that first coin will be. Once my acquisitions become merely ordering and purchasing without any search and discovery, coin collecting will ring hollow for me.

My strategy is about collecting what I intend to keep, not investing in what I plan to sell.

• Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭

Dollar Date set Dansco album.. from lord M

Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bsshog40 said:
    Mine will be my US Mint product fulfillment of the 2019 Silver Proof SAE.

Yep, same here. Jan 10. That's in like, 11 days. :smile:

(If you've got a subscription, it will ship free, plus it's the first purchase towards the loyalty program...)

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

That will be mine also. My reply above did not take subscription into account. I took it as other than subscriptions.

• Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:
    It will probably be the Apollo coins from the Mint.

I agree, but I will wait and try the secondary marketmat a later time-not right away. Fortunately I was outbid early on with the $5 HOF commems fo which I believe are really cool. By waiting, I was able to obtain BOTH the ms and pr versions in 70FS for less than what I hd previously bid on a single coin less than a year propr. A liyyle wait also helped me obtain the 2018 after the mania died down for a reasonable price though slightly above the present price. I do realize that one can wait too long on some, but that has been the exception, not the rule in my experience.

• Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    Not a coin, but my eBay Bucks will get me a five ounce Silvertowne silver bar. The one with the Eagle on it. Next week.

I am badly torn between buying historic coins and stacking the PMs. Both are serious addictions.

BillDugan1959: I fully agree with Your points. Personally, I go with about a 50\50 mix of coins I like along with bullion coins in ms and pr70 when found at a decent price. in as many datess I can. I look at the bullion as an insurance policy whic I can enjoy. Too much fubar in the world not to have at least a little bullion and other hard assets and zero debt, if at all possible IMO.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

1919 BS Peace Dollar...... B)

• Options
    dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

Not sure exactly what. Maybe Apollo 11 5 Oz puck...but I mainly look for gold now.

• Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2019 4:56AM

Hopefully it will be at FUN. But if I told you I would have to kill you. :o

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no specific plans... will just see what comes along. Not much time right now, working at a modern, indoor shooting range...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2019 1:43PM

Picked these up while enjoying a brew - 1950-D 50c PCGS 64 FBL. 1956-D 5c PCGS 65

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll go out on a limb and say either a capped bust or seated liberty 50c at FUN.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2019 3:19PM

Purchased today...something simmering on the back burner...waiting until I receive it in-hand before disclosure...I hope you understand.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

A clashed 22 P Peace Dollar cheap on the bay of e.

Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • Options
    MrSliderMrSlider Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

Didn’t mean to but it was too good of a price to pass up. Low mintage, they don’t come up often..

https://tinyurl.com/wbuh7ba (Search PCGS on ebay)

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

1883 with CENTS V nickel. Nothing to shout about, just a filler for a book. $10. Haven't seen it yet and will not be posting a pic of a ten dollar coin.

bob ;)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JazzmanJAB said:
    Couldn't resist. Here's my first 2019 purchase.

this and the dollar as well, fwiw

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2019 8:49AM

@JazzmanJAB said:
    Couldn't resist. Here's my first 2019 purchase.

This is beautiful and my first overstruck coin.

I have a non-overstruck coin coming as well that I'll post once in hand.

• Options

Silvertowne, did it.

Terribly torn between numismatics and pm stacking.

Daniel Dancer would shake his finger at me.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2019 9:30AM

@BG said:
    H&K Unlisted, Bronze / R 37, TC-219792.

H&K isn't adding new types right now, only additional compositions of existing types.

However, Jeff Shevlin and Bill Hyder are actively cataloging new pieces. They published a new guide last year with additional listings and are working on another one. I think it's only a matter of time before So-Called Dollars start to be identified by their newer SH numbers as well, similar to Judd and Pollock for patterns.

You can reach out to them here:

http://www.so-calleddollar.com/

• Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

Focus.
    That's my collecting goal for 2019.
    I'm a newish collector, making newbie mistakes. Overpaying, accumulating dreck, etc. But this year I'm going to focus on my 3 main sets (20 cents by die variety; the rattler proof set; and the Lincoln omm/rpm set).
    That's it. No more impulse buys.
    So here's my 1st for the new year:

I know nothing about Rosies, but its hard to pass up pop 1 coins for about $10 each.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

My eye is on several coins in the Heritage FUN auction. Have already bought some medals, but my first coin will likely be from the auction.

• Options

@KindaNewish said:
    Focus.
    That's my collecting goal for 2019.
    I'm a newish collector, making newbie mistakes. Overpaying, accumulating dreck, etc. But this year I'm going to focus on my 3 main sets (20 cents by die variety; the rattler proof set; and the Lincoln omm/rpm set).
    That's it. No more impulse buys.
    So here's my 1st for the new year:

I know nothing about Rosies, but its hard to pass up pop 1 coins for about $10 each.

Are they truly pop 1 coins if they're in ICG holders? no knock, just curious.

• Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BlindedByEgo

With these, yes.
    These 71 & 72 dime varieties are not yet recognized by our hosts or NGC, and there is a zero pop at ANACS.

Yay for team Skip!

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking on a $5 Indian in 62 rattler holder for $410 I told them I'd let em know in the morning

Martin

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm waiting on an obscure auction I found in a search, there's a Lafayette I'm after and Medal from the Columbian Exposition.

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck Keets

Martin

• Options

@KindaNewish said:

@BlindedByEgo

With these, yes.
    These 71 & 72 dime varieties are not yet recognized by our hosts or NGC, and there is a zero pop at ANACS.

Yay for team Skip!

So they're the discovery pieces? Cool!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file