Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is your final coin purchase of 2018 - please share

KoinickerKoinicker Posts: 289 ✭✭✭
edited December 30, 2018 6:57AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I know we still have all of tomorrow to continue purchasing coins in 2018, but in the meantime please share your last (or expected last) coin purchase of 2018.

My expected final coin purchase of 2018 is this 1838-dated circulating contemporary counterfeit Cap and Rays design 8 reales, unlisted in Riddell (1845). This piece appears to be in AU condition (the test scratches add to its character). Overall, these Cap and Rays counterfeits are rarely found exhibiting this much detail, especially in the eagle's feathers. From its outward appearance it looks like a billon planchet, but it could also be a copper-rich German silver planchet; I will know more when it arrives later this week.

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

My last purchase was a couple of months ago at the Baltimore show. It was a Roman Republic silver piece, which had an interesting design. This sort of way to get my feet wet in this area so see if my interest grows. This piece datess from around 210 BC.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2018 7:57AM

• Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm waiting on two from ebay that say shipped but no tracking info is available now.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Japan Sen 1884 PCGS MS64

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing amazing but I needed to fill the modern comm hole in my 7070 album so I used the 15% off ebay coupon to get this. Being prior military myself it fits perfectly.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    DiggerJimDiggerJim Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭

Got these two days ago. The two 1943 and 1943-D will go right onto the computer in my PCGS Wheaties Set and the 1935-D and the 1937-S will have to get transferred first to PCGS holders. Also the will get transferred for my Kennedy Silver Short Set.

Thanks
    DiggerJim

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one more day, It's not over till it's over.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this going to be the final “final coin purchase of 2018” thread, or should I wait until tomorrow to see if there is another, more final one? 😉

• Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

purchased yesterday

• Options

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/v2kAAOSwetxa5kiH/s-l1600.jpg

This is a Daniel Carrr as well. Also yesterday

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2018 9:14AM

The year's not over yet! Too many decisions! :D

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, the design of the "Clark Gruber" round shown by @mapleman above is really nice, but "FOURTY" isn't a word. Yikes.

• Options

@BryceM said:
    Well, the design of the "Clark Gruber" round shown by @mapleman above is really nice, but "FOURTY" isn't a word. Yikes.

It's described as being in common use at one time https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fourty

• Options

@mapleman said:

@BryceM said:

It's described as being in common use at one time https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fourty

To be clear....Augustus Saint-Gaudens' original sketch for his iconic Double Eagle design featured a Winged Liberty figure holding a shield. Using as much of the sculpture as possible from an actual coin, the relief was increased and wings and shield were added by Daniel Carr. This concept shows what the original version might have looked like if carried to fruition.

NOTE: “Fourty” is an old-time spelling, considered by some to be incorrect today, but widely used years ago.

As of August 2013, Moonlight Mint is also officially doing business in the state of Colorado under the registered name “Clark Gruber & Company”. The internet domains “Clark-Gruber.com” and “ClarkGruber.com” now point to www.MoonlightMint.com.

The firm of Clark Gruber & Co. established operations in Denver during the Colorado Gold Rush. Beginning in 1860, Clark Gruber began converting miner’s gold into coins which were readily accepted and circulated locally in the Denver area and beyond. The firm was so well-respected that the US Government bought them out in the mid-1860s, first running the operation as an assay office and then eventually converting it into the Denver Mint. In an ironic twist, in 2001 the Denver Mint sold one of their surplus Grabener coin presses which became a core asset of Moonlight Mint in 2008, and now a reanimated Clark Gruber & Company. Clark Gruber coins are today highly-prized by collectors for their rarity and history. The tradition of Clark Gruber continues on. Concept, design, sculpting, engraving, and minting by Daniel Carr and Clark Gruber & Co. Struck using a US Denver Mint surplus coin press.
    Size: 39mm
    Composition: 999 silver
    Weight: 1.0 troy oz
    Edge: Reeded
    Finish: Proof-like
    Final Mintage: See Home

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2018 10:35AM

Sorry.... I don't want to derail the OP's thread.

If the decision to use "FOURTY" was historical and deliberate, then it's totally OK (if a little hard on my eyes). If it was just an oversight or misspelling, that'd be pretty embarrassing.

I'm pretty sure this will by my final coin of the year:

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

This turned out to be the actual last purchase. To go with the upcoming US Apollo coins.

• Options
    KoinickerKoinicker Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

The hours are counting down! Maybe more people will post tomorrow when 2018 has officially ended :smile:

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    My last purchase was a couple of months ago at the Baltimore show. It was a Roman Republic silver piece, which had an interesting design. This sort of way to get my feet wet in this area so see if my interest grows. This piece datess from around 210 BC.

That's a very nice quadrigatus. Do you have a pedigree for it? The toning looks like it's been in collections for a while and pedigrees add a fair amount of value in Republican coinage.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a little off center but I likie...

• Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't we already do this. I thought for sure that I already posted this. Man, it sucks to get old. :s

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    cucamongacoincucamongacoin Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭

Actually got two, but I'll call it this one;

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seller photos, haven't bothered to take my own yet.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

1888-S Seated quarter, PCGS AU58, from Brian Greer.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked these up in Barcelona last week.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

Purchased on 11-30-2018.

A run of possible Cameo 1965 SMS nickels.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@jwitten The color on that 1776 is out of this world! I've looked at a few of those because I like the 1776 date but never seen anything with such impressive color!

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    @jwitten The color on that 1776 is out of this world! I've looked at a few of those because I like the 1776 date but never seen anything with such impressive color!

We might have to work out a trade deal for one of your gold beaver overstrikes ;)

• Options

@jwitten said:

@Zoins said:

We might have to work out a trade deal for one of your gold beaver overstrikes ;)

Let's talk :)

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Baley said:
    First, last, and only coin purchase for 2018:

Thanks again to the BST seller for the coin and the very good images.
    My first Fugio, have wanted one for a long time.

If you only make one coin purchase, that's a good one.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a coin, but here's my last numismatic purchase.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

My last purchase of 2018, which I was very fortunate to acquire, were the 2 ounce Silver Cob and 3 ounce Silver Round KotCT Medals. I did not take any images of them, I left that to a pro...which I will post when I receive them.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

>
    How very appropriate to have a coin picturing Janus for the end of the year:

"In ancient Roman religion and myth, Janus is the god of beginnings, gates, transitions, time, duality, doorways, passages, and endings. He is usually depicted as having two faces, since he looks to the future and to the past."

Thanks for sharing and hope it presages a great new year!

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2019 11:20PM

Guess it was a Dan Carr piece purchased while visiting him in mid-December. Expected there to be more purchases but, guess not. :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a little late to this thread but I've been waiting to get this coin in the mail and now that I have it in hand I am very pleased!

PCGS VF35:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file