Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What was the BIGGEST numismatic story TO YOU of 2018

BodinBodin Posts: 996 ✭✭✭
edited December 27, 2018 3:32PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Ive been off the boards for a while. But still lurking. That said I don't want to miss some of the important content of 2018. Rather than ask what the big stories were, sometimes there's a very important story or discovery within your niche. Please share or better yet, add the post URL into your comment
And Happy New Year!

Comments

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Regulated said:
    I would have disagreed if they let me...

I would be disappointed if it was otherwise! ;)

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree that the management change at PCGS was the top story.

Not sure what the second top story was.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    The disagree button was a great idea when members backed up their disagreement with reasons. Too bad there was not a way to program that into the button.

the numismatic story of 2017 was the great disagree war between you and bill dugan :D

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2018 8:43PM

Mr. Hall's departure

• Options
    ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭

1) David Hall departure

2)The disagree button fiasco

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Biggest numismatic story of 2018?

I'm torn between the end of the disagree button, and a great five-part research article integrating historical Mint archives, coin study, and state of the art metallurgical analysis that proved Mint officers knowingly deviated from silver fineness laws in 1795 - link to part 5 http://jr-newsletter.blogspot.com/2018/12/jr-newsletter-16-december-2018-424.html

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    Mr. Hall's departure

Better put BJ in there as well.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2018 11:16PM

@GRANDAM said:

@Paradisefound said:
    Mr. Hall's departure

And Willis.

For me it was very exciting when Dr Steven Duckor sold his set of Walking libertys in January 2018. Four of them broke the six-figure mark including the 18d 66, the 19 d 65, the 21d 66 and the 21s 65+. All were PCGS CAC coins and many shattered previous records.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

Anyone else?

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

On balance a pretty quiet year based on the above - at least when compared to the Saddle Ridge Hoard story of a few years back.

• Options

^^^^ WOW

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    The pulp fiction forum story of the mob's involvement in the fake 1907 High Relief $20 gold eagles was fairly entertaining. Am afraid to ask whatever happened to the guy telling the story?

That story brought me here to stay. It was fascinating to me, true or not.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RYK said:
    The discovery of the previously unknown 1854-S $5, a major rarity. I am surprised it was not yet mentioned, but I guess that was more of an NGC event. ;)

I was going to say exactly this.

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Posts: 527 ✭✭✭✭

The discovery of the long-lost 1893-CC in a GSA hard pack.

Successful BST: dmwjr, ike126, bajjerfan, morganman94, sonoradesertrat, 12voltman, duiguy, gsaguy, gsa1fan, martin, coinfame, zas107, bothuwui, gerard, kccoin, jtwitten, robcool, coinscoins, mountain_goat, and a few more.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea what numismatic story was great in 2018...There were several notable events as mentioned above.....I recall nothing that was worthy of major interest. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a couple tales that shall remain untold but were probably the Numismatic Stories of the year.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hansen has not passed me up on everything...yet...

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me it's hands down...

This event had forum members tearing their hair out and even had a certain member, who shall go unnamed, order a Big Mac for the first time in his life.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was when the US Mint hired a top quality Art Director, and the sculptor engravers began turning out superb, high quality creative designs for commemoratives and medals.

Oh....sorry....I'm told by my pet goldfish that didn't happen.....well, there's 2019.

• Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:

@GRANDAM said:

@Paradisefound said:
    Mr. Hall's departure

And Willis.

For me it was very exciting when Dr Steven Duckor sold his set of Walking libertys in January 2018. Four of them broke the six-figure mark including the 18d 66, the 19 d 65, the 21d 66 and the 21s 65+. All were PCGS CAC coins and many shattered previous records.

Super set of Walkers. The 19- had the best strike by far I have ever seen on that issue. I was fortunate to get one of that set, but alas, it wasn't one of the biggies!

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@batumi said:

@Walkerfan said:

@GRANDAM said:

@Paradisefound said:
    Mr. Hall's departure

And Willis.

Super set of Walkers. The 19- had the best strike by far I have ever seen on that issue. I was fortunate to get one of that set, but alas, it wasn't one of the biggies!

IMHO that 19-D 65 is the finest in existence---even better than the Forsythe MS 66 example, which is a pop 1 with none finer.

Which coin did you pick up from that sale?

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

My biggest story has been PCGS's extremely conservative grading standards throughout the year in my area of interest.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    The loss of JT Stanton

Yes-for me it was this one.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Numismatist of the Year - and well deserved!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:

@batumi said:

@Walkerfan said:

@GRANDAM said:

@Paradisefound said:
    Mr. Hall's departure

And Willis.

IMHO that 19-D 65 is the finest in existence---even better than the Forsythe MS 66 example, which is a pop 1 with none finer.

@Walkerfan said:

@batumi said:

@Walkerfan said:

@GRANDAM said:

@Paradisefound said:
    Mr. Hall's departure

And Willis.

I got a '38-P at that sale for a reasonable price especially when another '38-P graded 67+ went for more than three times the amount my 67 went for, with my coin being imo, the better coin. I believe most of these 'plus' coins could go either way, and I won't pay an exorbitant Premium for something that is debatable. Recently I was underbidder on a nice MS 67 wlh fthat I went one increment over book + 200.00 for the pedigree-something I rarely do-Jack Lee and it was reaally nice I believe I went 3200.00 all in with the winner one increment above. Fast forward three months, I saw the exact same piece in its new 67+ holder sold for over 13,000.00! A couple really nice Walkers went really reasonable at yesterday's FUN auction. I got beat by a cut bid on a really nice proof 68 Walker. I should have know to cover myself with at least a half bid, but already having a decent 38 proof in 67 , I sat on my bid. I agree with you about the Duckor '19-d. I have never seen that coin in any old auction archives, and found only one other that I believe would compare it to-one that sold at HA in 2002 from the Ray Cassano collection. That one had great eye appeal, along with a good strike, though the old photos are really not too good. Rhank you for your interest, walkerfan.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file