Home Metal Detecting
Options

10-8-2019 Update--My finds history thread. From the addicting beginning....

13»

Comments

• Options
    CCDAMEEKCCDAMEEK Posts: 117 ✭✭✭

Another day of fun & work at the same honey-hole of two weeks ago. Spent a little more than 4 hours, this time digging up 83 coins totaling $4.98, one gold-plated brooch/pin, and one silver 1942 Quarter! (and one kids carnival prize ring)

photo IMG_20190725_190529157_zpsgagcgnss.jpg

photo collage_zpshilvjdop.jpg

Oh how I LOVE this hobby!

Freedom isn't free, we must protect it. Many Thanks to all those in the U.S. Military and Law Enforcement, past and present, for taking lead in that fight.

Current equipment: Whites DFX 300; Tesoro Tiger Shark; Minelab CTX 3030.
    Pin-ponters: Garrett Propointer AT; Minelab Pro Find 35

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a lot of digging.... The dimes are not silver?? Could not tell from the picture.... That site sure has produced for you.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    That is a lot of digging.... The dimes are not silver?? Could not tell from the picture.... That site sure has produced for you.... Cheers, RickO

Nope, just newer and not in the ground long. I got fooled by a 2010 last time out that sure looked like silver, and it was down 4 inches! Won't make that mistake again....

Freedom isn't free, we must protect it. Many Thanks to all those in the U.S. Military and Law Enforcement, past and present, for taking lead in that fight.

• Options
    edited September 10, 2019 5:31AM

Too hot today to do anything else, so I dropped back out to my honey-hole again for a few hours.

Today's haul: $2.48 including 9-wheaties which I am still working on cleaning up to read a few of their dates. 24 of the 33 cents dug predate 1970, and only 4 zinc cents today!
    1- Small .925 silver women's ring with a dark red stone that is cracked;
    1- Dime sized silver tone button made by "Waterbury Button CT USA"
    1- Boy Scout (Webelo) neck bolo tie clasp

• Options

That is a nice haul for a few hours... That site keeps rewarding you.. with coins as well as artifacts....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited September 10, 2019 5:37AM

OK, who is the old Button expert in this group? Check out this amazing button I found at a homesite built in 1850!
    Backmark is " EINGETR MUSTER", which research shows is short for "Eingetragen Muster -or -Registered Design", and apparently from Germany. The Button is part brass, but the image appears to me to be possibly pewter.
    Unfortunately, trying to clean up the back stamp, the button ring came off. Go FIgure.

• Options
    edited September 10, 2019 5:39AM

Also found at this same 1850's homesite: TWO Indian Head Cents! An 1859 found 7" deep in hard rocky clay soil, and an 1881 found at only 3" also in hard clay, which I attribute the worse condition to being closer to the surface.

GREAT DAY DETECTING

• Options

I am not a button expert at all... but that is a unique find....could it be related to the history of the site perhaps? Also nice IHC's, particularly the first one...Cheers, RickO

• Options

Another 6-hours at the honey hole. Todays Total: $4.98
    Only one wheat today, a 1939. 80-year old coin, not bad! A total of 70 coins, with 17 coins older than 1970.

Also found, this amazing amount of brass Grommets. 27 to be exact! I usually find 3-5 each outing at my honey hole, but this was REDICULOUS!! And of course, the obligatory pile of pull tabs. Only 17 today, so not bad! And one brass/copper button.

• Options

Dang pull tabs.... seems to be an unending supply in the ground.... aluminum mining I used to call it when I detected parks and other lots... Nice bunch of coins though...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited August 19, 2019 1:08PM

Couple hours again at the honey hole. Worthwhile today!
    Only 28 coins today, but 12 were 1970 or older.
    1958-D Silver Washington Quarter ; 1940, 1944, 1955 Wheaties, only 4 zinc wannabees, and one silver plated heart pendant.

Strange how a little dirt in the nooks & crannies on the quarter can make the contrast of the printing stand out! Doesn't even look like the same coin after soap & water washing. :o
    Not bad for a couple hours of fun!

• Options

Nice... silver is always good.... cannot see detail on the cents... the '55 was not the DDO I presume.. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited August 20, 2019 7:03AM

@ricko said:
    Nice... silver is always good.... cannot see detail on the cents... the '55 was not the DDO I presume.. ;) Cheers, RickO

I'm not good at that, what do you think?

• Options

@CCDAMEEK .... Looking at the magnified pictures, it is possible...but the wear and blurred pictures make it difficult to confirm...Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @CCDAMEEK .... Looking at the magnified pictures, it is possible...but the wear and blurred pictures make it difficult to confirm...Cheers, RickO

Dang, I thought I did pretty good. Here, Try a scan of the coin!

• Options

OK...that is much better... It does look as if it is an RPM (apparent separation at the bottom), but it is not listed in the Cherry Pickers Guide....so may be an unknown variety.... or, I could be mistaken....Perhaps post the pictures on the U.S. Coin Forum and ask them....Cheers, RickO

• Options

Just another exhausting afternoon at my honey hole.
    Got bored this afternoon, so went back to my honey hole for a few hours.

Dug 73 coins totaling $7.64, including 1944 & 1958 Wheaties, and only 5 zincolns.
    Haven't cleaned the rest of the coins up yet, but didn't see anything exceptional today.

One more Boy scouts Weblow bolo, and a cool old Tootsietoy 2-seat roadster with rubber tires that I think dates to early 1950's.

• Options

Looks like there could be a silver dime there.... Nice haul ... that 'honey hole' has served you well. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Managed to squeeze in another day at my honey hole before heading to Florida for the winter.  Not only a great day digging, but I learned that the sale of the property is not a guarantee, so I may get a chance next summer still! Man am I going to miss this place to hunt if it does sell.

Dug up 98 coins including a 1936 wheatie and 1-silver quarter that not a lot of U.S.A. detectorists might find, but including 37 zincolns; one key; one old silver ring; and about 25 pull tabs.

The haul (minus the ring pull tabs & silver coin -- cleaned them up the night of the hunt and already put them safely away). Check out those 1983 and newer Lincoln cents in the upper left of the photo. These were dug from the grass area around a swimming pool. They were indistinguishable, coming out of the ground crusty black, and had to be soaked overnight in lime-away (I know, bad juice but as you can see, the coins were beyond usable). Believe the chlorine from the pool is what caused this to happen.

At dig site before cleaning:

The ring:

The 1957 Silver Canadian Quarter:

• Options

Great day digging there... that 'honey hole' sure has yielded some treasure. Have a safe trip and enjoy Florida... go to the FUN show in January... Cheers, RickO

• Options

**So, my wife and I are moving in the next 3 weeks, but we have been hammering on the packing and are nearly completely packed. So we decide to take a day off and get down to the beach to relax. OF course my 'relax' is to walk around for hours swinging a detector.
    After about 4 hours in the salt water or the Gulf of Mexico, I suddenly felt something in my swimsuit pocket. And realized it was my cars electronic keyless key-fob!
    So, I man up, and go tell the wife that we may be in trouble, as she doesn't have hers with her. So we decide to set the fob in the sun for a while before heading to the car.
    Well, I take this extra time to dry off myself, by doing a little dry sand detecting. Well, sometimes bad things happen and turn good! Just as I was ready to go face the music, I got a great hit. This is what I scooped at only 4 inches:

14K Yellow gold Mans 6mm comfort type, size 12-1/2 band. Weighing a whopping 12.7 grams.

So, I count my blessings, we pack up and head for the car, and considering we're over 30 miles from home, figured it would be a while before we actually got back home. Beyond belief, lady luck was truly by my side today, as that electronic key fob, still functioned, letting us into the car, and starting it with the push-button start!

Here is the total days finds:

The ring has no engraving, but I will be checking prior lost & found posts for the beach I was visiting. The only thing that could have turned out making this day better, would be that the stud earring on top of the display finger could have been a real diamond, rather than a lead crystal diamond. :o

Thank You Detecting Gods & Lady Luck! **

• Options

A great day... a gold ring and disaster averted..... Cheers, RickO