Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Post your best World buy of 2018

I’m admittedly not a world coin expert, but looking forward to finding a new World registry set in 2019 to collect. Post your favorite World buy of the year and show me what it’s all about!

Thanks and Happy Holidays!
Brett Charville
President - PCGS

Brett Charville --- I work at PCGS

Comments

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cecropiamoth those Mexican coins are awesome!

• Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zohar said:
    Excellent pickup!

Mine is this stunner.

Wow...how was the popcorn?

• Options

Bravo @Boosibri

• Options
    QCCoinGuyQCCoinGuy Posts: 325 ✭✭✭✭

Best purchases for the year were both Canadian: An extremely rare McGill University gold medal in gold, and a spectacular, top-graded 1872-H Newfoundland cent in MS66 Red PCGS (OGH).

• Options
    BrettPCGSBrettPCGS Posts: 159 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EVillageProwler sorry by "best" I guess I meant your favorite acquisition of the year. Looks like you covered all bases, thanks for sharing!

Brett Charville --- I work at PCGS

• Options
    rwyarmchrwyarmch Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough call. It seems I've bought several cool world coins this year, many being British Trade Dollars, so I'll post a cool one that isn't that I needed for my Prime Number Set.

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

A decent addition to my pre-19th century One Crown from Each Country type set.

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EVillageProwler where’s Aethelberht?

I think this is my favorite since it falls into my main area of collecting, it’s rare, it has a good provenance, and it’s something I’ve been looking for quite a while.

Anglo-Saxon styca of Aethelred II, king of Northumbria (1st reign) 844-848, by moneyer Leofthegn. S.866 (Leofthegn’s “special” motif with hound on reverse).
    Ex- T Bliss, RC Lockett

Featuring a fantastic creature on the reverse, unique for stycas (which normally have just the king’s name on one side and the moneyer’s on the other- no pictures, no creatures, no fluff). This coin also has the triquetra, discussed by EVP previously.

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is hard to choose between these to be my favorite:

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nap,

The Aethelberht does not really deserve an honorable mention because it’s a borderline fit for my Wessex-to-H2 set. It’s a fine coin, totally wholesome, but not quite in high enough grade.

I bought it because I got impatient and wanted to fill one of the few remaining holes in that set.

For those not familiar, the coin is ex-Lessen. As I said, a decent wholesome coin but I’d have preferred a ‘Near EF’ (or an extremely nice ‘GVF’) piece to fit the rest of the set so far.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zohar said:
    Excellent pickup!

Mine is this stunner.

Mind you Z - but you need to post a warning before showing this gemmy again like that, out of the blue but regardless I'd prefer this piece of dreck in a Brett holder. :#

• Options
    edited December 30, 2018 8:37PM

Very very nice @bidask

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome Peso @bidask