Home U.S. Coin Forum

Repositioning Rare Coin Investment

Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 23, 2018 12:37PM in U.S. Coin Forum

What did you move from and what new area you moved to? What venue(s) used? What primary trigger?

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Comments

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unbeaned miscellaneous doomed stuff to the stuff that has a chance to be salable two years from now. B)

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

same old capped bust half dimes for me

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2018 6:06PM

Nice looking big gold. My eyes aren't as good as they used to be so half dimes are out. ;-)

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

To Classic Commems from Walkers and Dollars.

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no rare coins so no repositioning of any kind for me ;)

• ARCOARCO Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2018 7:46PM

@RogerB said:
    "Rare coins" are not an investment for most people - simply an interesting and occasionally profitable hobby.

;)

When I first started in 2000 coins were appreciating and I personally invested about 15K in midgrade Barber halves to later sell for 30K. I viewed coins in my collecting hemisphere as "profitable" and investment like in those first 10 years.

Now, I realize that the market has changed and coins are no longer investments nor is collecting profitable in any stretch of the definition. It really boils down to your definition now - " Simply an interesting and occasionally profitable hobby". The profitable portion of your statement is extremely rare and the the" interesting portion" much more common.

I Started with mid grade Barber halves - now moved to Seated and Barber Halves in AU-MS, totally, completely and irrevocably unprofitable.

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've moved from 20th century quality into a Box of 20 quality 19th century gold.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

No repositioning here. Just doing more of the same, and no plans to do any differently next year.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

No change...literally and figuratively. Continuing to avoid anything like this...

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I just dropped in to see what position your position is in.." Mine is the same... coins... silver and gold... some copper....Some slabbed, some raw... All mine. My position is good :D Cheers, RickO

• AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭

Taking the same approach as @topstuf , getting rid of widgets and drek. Hopefully its mostly widgets, as I went through on a drek removal pass a few years ago.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Investment" and "coins" probably no longer deserve to be used in the same sentence.

All glory is fleeting.
  • WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

I won't approach this comment on the investment tag word, but instead comment on the "repositioning", which would leave me to believe a sell off and repurchase. I would also read into that as to a sell at a loss which is hard for me to do knowing I'll be paying a premium to buy into something of supposedly higher worth. Taking a hit coming and going makes it really hard to make up loss ground, so my play is usually to just hold (don't usually need cash to buy new stuff in the first place and I don't buy anything until I do) and stop buying the loser material and transition to something else that will likely better perform and still enjoy.

This is pretty much my whole numismatic play. Buy what I like and enjoy. Periodically check in to see how its doing and feel good or bad. I get hits and I get strikes and hopefully at the end, I make out even. This whole deal is just for fun. Ive been burnt some and I can see that coming earlier on than ever, nobodies perfect and sometimes I get into something that explodes.

edited December 24, 2018 11:05AM

I want reduce total slabs but not total inventory investment.

Looking do PCGS Currency submission for number of currency items.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    I want reduce total slabs but not total inventory investment.

Seems smart to me. :)

I think I've fairly completed that phase.
    Even if not "investments" better coins are more satisfying to look at.

• ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 707 ✭✭✭✭✭

Went from early proofs to classic commems to early gold.

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started with Walkers and I'm going to finish with Walkers.

I do have an interest in Morgans, Standing libertys, Franklins and seated coinage, too.

I use any and all venues.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    No repositioning here. Just doing more of the same, and no plans to do any differently next year.

Me too! :)B) Too late to change now....for an old dog. B)

• earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

Early quarter eagles and interesting semi-key date liberty qe’s. I buy 1 to 2 coins a year. I expect to sell in 5 to 10 years time. At least that’s the plan.

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 25, 2018 1:14PM

I really enjoy insightful threads like this one & a few others lately.

I've been collecting error coins since 1978 with no exit plan.

I now realize I should cash out before I check out.

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2018 9:45AM

I am moving from exspencive coins that I enjoy to stuff my whole fam enjoys like vacation homes. The coins in the SDB don’t define a collector.

I still have a collection with some speculation but will not go back to 6figures sitting idle in a dark box any time soon.

• ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Have mostly transitioned into foreign, not really for investment but to hold long term. Excluding China and related areas, many quality items are available for approx 10-20% of their US counterparts.

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crypto said:
    I am moving to for coins I enjoy to stuff my whole fam enjoys. The coins in the SDB don’t define a collector.

Smart. Experiences provide more happiness than stuff. If you have children, your quality time with them will be short and limited. Coins will always be there if you want them, now or later. And we will still be here debating what the CAC does 1, 3, 5, 10, 25 years from now. ;)

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Elmhurst said:
    Have mostly transitioned into foreign, not really for investment but to hold long term. Excluding China and related areas, many quality items are available for approx 10-20% of their US counterparts.

I read this sentiment often. It makes me curious.

While my focus on quality Commems, I have picked up gold and CC coins as other areas of interest.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not an investment here, purely for hobby. When I sell I may win or lose. Last time I bailed out I came out nicely ahead and that was never a consideration during the time I was aquiring.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RYK said:
    I am back into DOGs from the 19th century. A couple coins per year, for fun. I have no aspiration of turning a profit. The coins will be purchased with entertainment money. Whoop-dee-doo!

What brought you back into the hobby?

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    I have no rare coins so no repositioning of any kind for me ;)

You have a 21 Peace $. Not rare, but hardly common. Do not sell yourself short.

• SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    "Investment" and "coins" probably no longer deserve to be used in the same sentence.

There was a time when you couldn't say the two words in the same sentence when selling coins. i.e. FTC er something like that forbade it.
    Now, anything goes so long as you explain your "supposition"

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@RYK said:
    I am back into DOGs from the 19th century. A couple coins per year, for fun. I have no aspiration of turning a profit. The coins will be purchased with entertainment money. Whoop-dee-doo!

What brought you back into the hobby?

I never stopped liking the coins, but they held too much sway over me for a period of time. I was also contemplating an early retirement, one that was incompatible with a large amount of capital sitting in non-performing assets in a SDB.

I am going to stay in the workforce, my kids are (hopefully) starting to peel off, and I think I can keep the collection in its proper perspective going forward. I would like to rebuild a “Box of 20” US gold coins, restock the 7070, and get rid of the coin detritus that is cluttering things up.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file