Home Sports Talk
Options

Josh Gordon is Finished

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets. Buddy don’t get frustrated, unless you personally know Gordon none of us know what is going on with him. I think all points in this thread are potentially in the ballpark of what could be going on but none of us know for sure

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    you guys just don't understand the mechanics of addiction. have fun in your thread with speculation and ignorant assumption.

I thought all the snowflakes all say pot isnt addictive. things that make you go hmmmm.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    preach stevek preach

I don't wish to preach, and sorry if it comes out that way.

However I do feel strongly about giving adults an informed choice. I don't see that being done with marijuana. Although the dangers of cocaine and heroin have been adequately portrayed in my opinion.

And anyone who tries to exploit children with drugs will suffer my wrath...and hopefully society's wrath as well with a long prison sentence. Drug dealing to children is unacceptable on any level.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:
    I'm not in favor of a nanny state. However in this thread's example of drug use, the NFL has got it exactly right that we as a society should be doing whatever we can to dissuade people, especially young people, from using these drugs.

In my view the recent federal criminal justice reform bill of helping folks thru various ways combat drug addiction versus automatic imprisonment, is a good step in the right direction.

Josh Gordon is a drug addict, that is not debatable. We can take a lackadaisical attitude towards drugs and let everybody get high and do whatever they want, or we can put our foot down and explain that drug use is a dead end proposition. And work to get folks the help that they need to stop using harmful drugs such as marijuana, cocaine, heroin, etc.

How much more taxpayer money do you want to throw at this? One of the smartest things Massachusetts ever did was legalize Marijuana,instead of wasting millions of dollars incarcerating people for using it they put sensible regulations on it.

I already mentioned that the soon to become federal law regarding drugs which lessens the possibility of imprisonment is a good step in the right direction.

As a conservative, I do not like illegal drugs in the least. However, if certain now illegal drugs become legal, i will accept it with the stipulation that people receive an informed choice with warning labels, etc, and under no circumstances should it be sold to children.

• Options

there are alternatives to jailing non violent drug offenders and the expense that goes with it. for those who manage to hold down a job, fine them or garnish their wages. for those that cannot hold down a job, how about mandating clean drug tests before the monthly welfare check is issued. that might snap some people around.

• Options

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:
    I'm not in favor of a nanny state. However in this thread's example of drug use, the NFL has got it exactly right that we as a society should be doing whatever we can to dissuade people, especially young people, from using these drugs.

In my view the recent federal criminal justice reform bill of helping folks thru various ways combat drug addiction versus automatic imprisonment, is a good step in the right direction.

Josh Gordon is a drug addict, that is not debatable. We can take a lackadaisical attitude towards drugs and let everybody get high and do whatever they want, or we can put our foot down and explain that drug use is a dead end proposition. And work to get folks the help that they need to stop using harmful drugs such as marijuana, cocaine, heroin, etc.

How much more taxpayer money do you want to throw at this? One of the smartest things Massachusetts ever did was legalize Marijuana,instead of wasting millions of dollars incarcerating people for using it they put sensible regulations on it.

I already mentioned that the soon to become federal law regarding drugs which lessens the possibility of imprisonment is a good step in the right direction.

As a conservative, I do not like illegal drugs in the least. However, if certain now illegal drugs become legal, i will accept it with the stipulation that people receive an informed choice with warning labels, etc, and under no circumstances should it be sold to children.

Agree with you on all points here   

• Options

@craig44 said:
    there are alternatives to jailing non violent drug offenders and the expense that goes with it. for those who manage to hold down a job, fine them or garnish their wages. for those that cannot hold down a job, how about mandating clean drug tests before the monthly welfare check is issued. that might snap some people around.

Now you might have it. I’d be cool with this, the one thing I’m against is detox programs in prison. It’s all about getting money from the state and feds, administrators skew numbers and don’t care what kind of inmate is in the program they just want money and good press for political reasons. FACT I’ve seen it for several years after they opened up these idiotic programs inside the prison. If a guy robs a bank and is high then he has a drug problem, that type of crap I don’t believe in and it ruins any type of argument for me.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

He's not addicted....just an idiot. Even if he is addicted it's his own doing!

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 22, 2018 8:11AM

He's not addicted....just an idiot. Even if he is addicted it's his own doing

Jon, I'll hold a good thought for you and hope that Alcoholism or Drug Addiction never touches the life of anyone you love, any family member or friend. it might destroy you.

in the meantime, you should check your obvious anger at the door and consider just keeping quiet. your ignorance is deafening.

• Options

@keets said:
    He's not addicted....just an idiot. Even if he is addicted it's his own doing

Jon, I'll hold a good thought for you and hope that Alcoholism or Drug Addiction never touches the life of anyone you love, any family member or friend. it might destroy you.

in the meantime, you should check your obvious anger at the door and consider just keeping quiet. your ignorance is deafening.

Keets......you are not going to hurt my feelings by calling me names on this. This is how I feel about this subject and I think most would agree that he deserves what he gets.

I was going to do a poll, but don't know how. Why don't you do a poll.

1) I feel sorry for Josh
    2) He is a grown man and deserves what he gets.

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Addiction most likely is something that will remain in someones life until they die unfortunately. I have a grandson that has not been able to overcome in and it is not that he has not tried. I have spent thousands of dollars getting him help and it lasts for a while but he ends up right back on it. Now he has to go every day for his daily allotment of whatever the city gives him to keep him off the drugs.Build the wall to try and keep the drugs out of the country.

• Options

no name calling by me, is there??

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pitboss said:
    Addiction most likely is something that will remain in someones life until they die unfortunately. I have a grandson that has not been able to overcome in and it is not that he has not tried. I have spent thousands of dollars getting him help and it lasts for a while but he ends up right back on it. Now he has to go every day for his daily allotment of whatever the city gives him to keep him off the drugs.Build the wall to try and keep the drugs out of the country.

You think building a wall will have any impact on the drug trade in this country? That is laughable.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

We need to start someplace my friend. Doing nothing is not the answer.

• Options

I think the wall is needed and will help. Drugs will never go away because there is too much money in it.

• Options

the wall that Mexico will pay for???

that is the greatest con that all you suckers who voted for him fell for, hook-line-and-sinker. if I was in Congress I'd tell him to pound salt where the sun don't shine, go get Mexico to pay for it. the whole concept is stupid, like a wall can even be built along some stretches of the border. what a maroon --- build a 20' wall and some ingenious Mexican will...........................build a 21' ladder. wow!!!!!!

the whole world is laughing at this joke of a President and by extension at all of us. thanks for voting for him.

• Options

Addiction can be a very complex issue. Yes, there are similarities in addicts but of course each addict is an individual. Thus in my opinion, there is no "one size fits all" for successful addiction treatment.

Without doing a dissertation, and to stay on topic to the forum, I believe one aspect to a successful recovery from addiction is to channel the addictive behavior from negative things such as drugs...to positive things, and I'm not kidding, such as coins and cards.

They say "the addiction is never cured" and that may very well be true. But as was previously mentioned in another post, the addiction is not actually the root of the problem but a symptom of the problem albeit mental, emotional, behavioral, whatever any psychiatrist wishes to call it.

My viewpoint on addiction is that let's say the addiction cannot be cured, but there is no doubt that the behavior that led to the self-abuse and self-destruction of engaging in negative addiction, absolutely can be changed. By changing the addict's behavior, thru whatever works for the particular addict such as religious guidance, a 12 step program, psychiatric counseling, or any number of other therapies, it causes the addict to lose interest in engaging in doing whatever was causing the addiction problem such as drugs.

So it really is that simple, yet can be complex at the same time.

I say even if an addict feels their behavior isn't possible to change, to at least channel their "frustrations" into positive addictions such as coin and card collecting which in a delightful way can be a very positive addiction. :)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    I think the wall is needed and will help. Drugs will never go away because there is too much money in it.

There is a factual correlation in which the more of an addictive substance that is available, then the higher the addiction rates in a population.

• Options

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

There is a factual correlation in which the more of an addictive substance that is available, then the higher the addiction rates in a population.

That's why I said the wall would help. For drugs to go away completely would be great, but will never happen. Anything bad that we can keep out of our Country the better off we are. :)

Be sure and root for the Cowboys tomorrow! ;)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

That's why I said the wall would help. For drugs to go away completely would be great, but will never happen. Anything bad that we can keep out of our Country the better off we are. :)

Of course the wall will help - it's a non-debatable fact.

It would be hard for me to believe that everyone except perhaps the local street corner drug dealers, could possibly believe that reducing the quantity of illegal drugs pouring into our country is not a good thing.

"The wall" not only represents a physical wall, but a metaphor for keeping out drugs and other problems from harming our country by foreign invaders.

And I will be sure NOT to root for the Cowboys tomorrow. Frankly, i'll be rooting against the Vikings a lot harder due to playoff implications.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

It would be hard for me to believe that everyone except perhaps the local street corner drug dealers, could possibly believe that reducing the quantity of illegal drugs pouring into our country is not a good thing.

"The wall" not only represents a physical wall, but a metaphor for keeping out drugs and other problems from harming our country by foreign invaders.

And I will be sure NOT to root for the Cowboys tomorrow. Frankly, i'll be rooting against the Vikings a lot harder due to playoff implications.

Could you guys give it a rest? Instead of visions of sugar plum fairies dancing in my head, I'm starting
    to see visions of David Gilmour and Roger Waters.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 22, 2018 6:20PM

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Could you guys give it a rest? Instead of visions of sugar plum fairies dancing in my head, I'm starting
    to see visions of David Gilmour and Roger Waters.

its not "the wall" or pink floyd exactly but there is "a wall" behind them and its a pink floyd cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rirDOIttODM

you all are welcome B)

• Options

Think I'll buy me a football team.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

Well done, Sir.

What the Ravens' defense said to Philip Rivers' tonight-

We're gonna send you back to mother
    In a cardboard box
    You better run

• Options

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

Well done, Sir.

What the Ravens' defense said to Philip Rivers' tonight-

We're gonna send you back to mother
    In a cardboard box
    You better run

Pink Floyd, one of the greatest rock bands of all time, but for whatever reason not really a household name today.

I would guess that most Millennials if shown a picture of the group, they might say, "Oh, by the way, which one's Pink?"

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

If this is over marijuana again, then I almost have to say shame on the NFL. How many states now have legalized recreational use? Ten or more I think. I understand there are rules. But if these guys who are sacrificing their bodies (even though they are paid extremely well to do so) get some form off relaxation or pain relief from it, what is the issue? Painkiller addiction (hydros, oxys, etc) is absolutely brutal.

That said, he should be mature enough to just put down the pipe. Grow up already. It is not difficult to quit getting high on weed.

Jeff

• Options

@cecropiamoth said:
    If this is over marijuana again, then I almost have to say shame on the NFL. How many states now have legalized recreational use? Ten or more I think. I understand there are rules. But if these guys who are sacrificing their bodies (even though they are paid extremely well to do so) get some form off relaxation or pain relief from it, what is the issue? Painkiller addiction (hydros, oxys, etc) is absolutely brutal.

That said, he should be mature enough to just put down the pipe. Grow up already. It is not difficult to quit getting high on weed.

Jeff

They all know the rules when they sign on the dotted line

• Options

LOL I’m the biggest Trump supporter but thinking that a wall is going to actually accomplish anything especially slowing drugs from getting into the country is 1000% HILARIOUS 😆

• Options

Anyone interested in helping to build the wall there is a gofundme that has been sponsored by Brian Kolfage who is a triple amputee from the war and has reached over $15 million dollars in less that a week. Word is getting out and the fund is rising fast.

stand@fight4freespeech.com.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

New England Patriots wide receiver Josh Gordon was suspended indefinitely by the NFL on Thursday for violating the league's substance abuse policy, but there's a chance he could be back on the field for the start of the 2019 season.
    "He would have to show the NFL and (Commissioner) Roger Goodell that he is clean for a sustained period of time," NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported on "NFL GameDay Morning" on Sunday. "Could he be back possibly for the start of the 2019 season? From what I understand, it is possible, it would, of course, be a little bit quick, but it is possible for that to happen."

Rapoport also reported that Gordon's suspension stemmed from multiple violations of NFL's substance abuse policy.
    Gordon has a long history of mental health and substance abuse issues. The star receiver missed two full seasons while being suspended and participated in just 11 games for the Cleveland Browns from 2014 to 2018. He was conditionally reinstated by the NFL in November 2017, appearing in five games with the team last season.
    Gordon missed Browns training camp and the preseason while he received help to deal with undisclosed health issues. Cleveland then traded Gordon to the Patriots after he suffered a hamstring injury during a photo shoot.
    While there might be a chance Gordon could return for the start of next season, there's also a danger the 27-year-old might never play another down in the NFL. Time will tell if Gordon will overcome his latest off-field setback.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pitboss said:
    Anyone interested in helping to build the wall there is a gofundme that has been sponsored by Brian Kolfage who is a triple amputee from the war and has reached over $15 million dollars in less that a week. Word is getting out and the fund is rising fast.

That wall is never going up. Had Trump been a true boss he could have offered US citizenships to whoever helped put that wall up and it would have been finished long ago.
    That 15M should cover about a quarter mile of wall and all of the milked workhours to put it up.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    LOL I’m the biggest Trump supporter but thinking that a wall is going to actually accomplish anything especially slowing drugs from getting into the country is 1000% HILARIOUS 😆

We agree on most things, but I strongly disagree with you here. The wall is needed and it will definitely help.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@pitboss said:

That wall is never going up. Had Trump been a true boss he could have offered US citizenships to whoever helped put that wall up and it would have been finished long ago.
    That 15M should cover about a quarter mile of wall and all of the milked workhours to put it up.

Not a bad idea. Have you suggested it to anyone? Whatever it takes is worth consideration.

• Options

ho ho ho santa bronco thinks some posters want red avatars in their stockings this christmas ,

• Options

Looks like NE> @pitboss said:

@erikthredd said:

@pitboss said:

Not a bad idea. Have you suggested it to anyone? Whatever it takes is worth consideration.

I'm not a fan of Trump or his wall but I do think that might work if they offered a citizenship or work visa though.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    ho ho ho santa bronco thinks some posters want red avatars in their stockings this christmas ,

This is right. Don't touch the politics guys. It is tempting though

• Options

It isn't if you are a fan of Trump or not it is just that we need to stop the illegal immigration and work on getting control of the drugs coming into the country. The wall is not the complete answer but it is a part of it. I don't know about you but the billions of dollars we are spending on illegals schooling, medical, and other support every year is killing our economy. Both political parties want the cheap labor is why nothing is done. Five years ago the Dems wanted the fence and the Repubs didn't now its just the opposite.

• Options

Holy cow i wish we had a political forum here. even the old open forum.

• Options
    edited December 23, 2018 10:57AM

Looks like NE had someone babysitting Gordon at all times until he managed to sneak off and do whatever he did to get suspended.
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25600050/new-england-patriots-attempted-prevent-josh-gordon-slipup-elaborate-security-plan

edit: Ian Rapoport is also reporting Gordon was suspended for more than just marijuana.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    Holy cow i wish we had a political forum here. even the old open forum.

open one up and call it the user banned forum

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2018 10:40AM

Great. He wants to put up a medieval wall complete with pikes Wait until someone tells him about moats. He’ll want those too.

A wall means 3 things. Over, under and around. It always has and always will. 21st century technology is a better answer for border security not 14th century.

If everyone is honest with themselves they should be able to see this was always just a vanity project that a master sales men used as a way to get elected. This thing was a non starter from the beginning. It was just a rallying cry. Dogs to a whistle. If a “Wall” was ever going to be seriously started it would have been over the last two years when the republicans controlled all 3 branches.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

You do not control the senate with any less than 60 votes.

• Options
    edited December 23, 2018 11:04AM

@pitboss said:

Thank God.

Actually a simple majority in the senate will give you the ability to ram a lot of things through.

Having a majority in all three houses is as good as it’s ever going to be. It’s almost a foregone conclusion that the senate flips in 2020 as well with so many red seats up for re-election.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

@pitboss said:

Thank God.

Actually a simple majority in the senate will give you the ability to ram a lot of things through.

Having a majority in all three houses is as good as it’s ever going to be. It’s almost a foregone conclusion that the senate flips in 2020 as well with so many red seats up for re-election.

mark

Hopefully every branch will be a deeper RED come 2020. So we can continue to get things fixed that was left in such terrible shape by the last administration!!!

• Options

40-45% of the illegal aliens in the U.S. are a result of overstaying on an Expired Visa, mostly from the European Union. that all the trouble is coming over the Mexican border is just a racist hot-button issue that gets the results it's intended to get, the Sheep-Chanted-Build-The-Wall rallying cry.

Visa reform would fix the real problem of "illegals" in the Country, the only problem is that most of them look just like you and me. heck, one of them might someday be the WR the Pat's are looking for to replace Josh Gordon.

• Options

@keets said:
    40-45% of the illegal aliens in the U.S. are a result of overstaying on an Expired Visa, mostly from the European Union. that all the trouble is coming over the Mexican border is just a racist hot-button issue that gets the results it's intended to get, the Sheep-Chanted-Build-The-Wall rallying cry.

Visa reform would fix the real problem of "illegals" in the Country, the only problem is that most of them look just like you and me. heck, one of them might someday be the WR the Pat's are looking for to replace Josh Gordon.

Come on keets…….anyone that doesn't see the drug problem coming in from Mexico......needs to get their head out of the sand!

• Options

sure, drugs come in from Mexico but not the extent you think and not to any extent that a "wall" would be much of a deterrent.

let's be honest, the "wall" is a hot-button topic that is used to inflame people.
    initially it was illegal immigration --- the truth about that is there isn't really much truth in it.
    next, it was drugs --- there is more truth to that but a "wall" isn't a solution.
    next it was terrorists --- that is just a lie that died quickly.
    back to drugs --- it is the most "honest" reason.

• Options

Congress needs to sit down and quit their BS. Figure out a way to completely secure our border, give people already here a path to citizenship, figure out how to stop drugs from coming into the country including all areas including ports and put limits on immigration.

Oh, I forgot the first thing they must do, learn how to compromise.

• Options
    edited December 24, 2018 2:22PM

@pitboss said:
    Congress needs to sit down and quit their BS. Figure out a way to completely secure our border, give people already here a path to citizenship, figure out how to stop drugs from coming into the country including all areas including ports and put limits on immigration.

Oh, I forgot the first thing they must do, learn how to compromise.

Actually all three branches need to quit there BS. The fish stinks from the head down. Otherwise I agree with everything you said............but without a wall. Spend 10 billion. Spend 25 billion. Spend 50 billion to secure it. But do it intelligently. Building a wall is insulting, arrogant and foolish.

FYI Merry Christmas all!

mark

• Options

Merry Christmas to you all !

While you were all sleeping Trump was giving out another 115 mile contract in Texas for his border wall.

The man never sleeps and he will get the wall completed under budget!