Homeβ€Ί U.S. Coin Forum

New Years is Tuesday. What is your New Years resolute for 2019 collecting.πŸ‘

markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 30, 2018 11:45AM in U.S. Coin Forum

My New Years resolution for my collection is to get a Spanish gold escudos coin and a seated liberty dollar πŸ’΅. Tell me what your New Years goal πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘I hope to expand my collection more in 2019

Β«1

Comments

• SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am extremely indecisive about what to collect. I agonize over what I should do. Part of it comes from not having a lot of funds to spread around on stuff and part of it comes from not being very knowledgeable yet. It's hard to learn though when you never pull the trigger and just look and look and look at things, changing your mind all the time. I hope to start thinking less and actually start collecting and enjoying what I'm doing!

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 17, 2018 6:09PM

I want to go to more major shows and meet new dealers and collectors. There's only a couple of coins in my primary set that I really want or need. I'm going to try to buy a few Morgans but nothing outrageous. I won't be buying as aggressively in 2019 but I will still be buying.

β€œI may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I’m going to look and try searching harder and ask around more for items I don’t see offered regular. Maybe try some overseas dealers and auction houses. I've always thought that wasn't worth the risk or hassle, but waiting around for US dealers to pick up what I'm into and catching it before someone else simply isn't happening. I resolve to apply myself more to shake a few things out instead of just setting back and waiting. Long boring waits by the phone are no fun. Instead of getting bored, I've decided to try harder.

My VW buddies act like some old parts are just impossible to find and I shrug and say, you've never been a numismatist huh.

I've also been thinking I'll take some time and share my "forever" box of 20 here when I get some proper photos shot and cropped. Shooting for Christmas/New Years break down time for that. Get some feedback and enjoy just what I already have to show for my time in the hobby. I sat down the other day and made a list and was pretty stoked about the group.

Good Luck everybody and to a Great 2019!

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was an old Kellogg's Corn Flakes commercial: "Taste them again for the first time."

I am going to sort of extrapolate that idea into my 2019 coin collecting resolution: "Let's try this again for the first time."

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭

My resolution is to live long enough to collect all of the Mint's American Innovation $1 Coin Program :-)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hallco..... :D No... if that were the case, I would already have tarnished coins to display....Still going for the bright and shiny coins... Cheers, RickO

• CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 18, 2018 11:58AM

Same as last year, I'm not going to pay over sheet for my coins anymore. HA

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps add a few more of the coins from British kings prior to William the Conqueror. Maybe look into a few more of the 12 ceasars.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

To grow and hone my error coin business.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few more gold, both bullion and numismatic, proof Morgan's, Japan coins and U.S. Currency's !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • david3142david3142 Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 18, 2018 1:05PM

@asheland said:
    Honestly I just want a really nice $3 gold!

Stacks had a nice 1878 in MS62 in their NY store window yesterday. Give them a call.

• FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 668 ✭✭✭✭✭

Add either a proof seated half or a $10 Indian.
    Also, I’d like to knock out a few more dates in my Franklin half set.
    It’s getting tougher to find the right coins for the right price the closer I get to the end.

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Over 40 years ago I made a New Year's Resolution never to make another New Year's Resolution, and I have been remarkably successful in not making any more New Year's Resolutions.

It might be the only one I ever kept. :wink:

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep practicing and improving on my photo taking skills, not that easy with a cell phone. And work on completing some year sets that are important to me. But the number one and most important resolution is no money spent on crossovers, its the one resolution I should be able to keep with ease.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the inside I want to buy everything. On the outside cautionary spending only!

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,871 ✭✭✭✭✭

Patience, attention to detail, negotiate, learn more, have fun. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hallco said:

@ricko said:
    I never make resolutions. I believe if something is worth doing, then I do it...no need to wait for New Year's or any other date....I just do it. Cheers, RickO

I read that as Ricko saying he is going to start collecting monster toners next year! Anyone else catch that subliminal message? ;D

Concerning the subliminal message allegedly coming from @ricko,
    you might need to upgrade the aluminum foil on your hat. ;)

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 19, 2018 2:14AM

I need to add one coin in 2019
    It will be a test of focused obsession as opposed to what I have been doing. :/
    And...There are only 11 of them so some luck is necessary also.

• markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

My collection from 2018 it will expand in 2019. That is another 2019 plan I haveπŸ˜„.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

@markelman1125 said:
    My collection from 2018 it will expand in 2019. That is another 2019 plan I haveπŸ˜„.

That's a great start!

• MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2018 12:21PM

I really need to downsize... maybe not box of 20 downsize but less than the current box of 300 ish.
    Then again... I've got just a ton of really cool widgets! Every time I get to looking at what could go, I am reminded I really like most all of it. Much of it is either inexpensive raw, common grade, high mintage, etc but all hand-picked by myself with above average eye appeal and/or super clean for the grade.

@Meltdown, what do you mean by downsize πŸ€” ?

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

Complete my pcgs Franklin halves set and hopefully snag one of the coming paladiums.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

@pivatecoin I remember the days 1oz of paladium was around $600 now it is over $1,200. I wish I could afford to buy one when they were less expensive

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

My plan is to just keep plugging along, looking for the varieties I need.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 22, 2018 8:03PM

I'm idling along at the moment. I'm in hold and wait and see mood. Might just toss everything in the bank and take a long nap. :/

• LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably significantly less numismatic action in 2019.
    My current plans for the new year entail some very different goals for which the importance of numismatics sorely pales in comparison.

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

I resolve to limit my coin purchases to 2-3 dirty gold coins for my Box of 20. If anyone has any for sale, we could wrap it up quickly on January 1.

I would also like to complete my 7070 with a VF/XF Barber quarter, XF/AU 1917 (I) SLQ, and a VF/XF Motto Seated Half.

• ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:

This!

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stop buying, easier said than done.

• Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Long Beach.
    Acquire 5 of the Final 17 for my registry.
    Spend more on set coins than grading or upgrades.

• TrazTraz Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭

Buy a round and octagonal pan pac in 65 higher if I don’t win that gorgeous gaudens at FUN. πŸ˜€

• rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

To buy more coins than I did in 2018, if I buy three, that will do it, want to make it to the San Jose show and one of the Santa Clara shows as well, happy holidays all

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

New Year's resolution. Buy less coins, sell more coins. Reduce my holdings by at least 30%.

Best, SH

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/
  • ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2018 9:34AM

I know you WILL get a VERY NICE $3 gold ....... that's why it's been this long waiting because you're hunting for an exceptional one ;) and I better look for something else while you do :p

@asheland said:

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

To figure out what CAC looks for!!πŸ™‚

CAC grades tough, when I saw @Senator32 CAC YouTube videos submission many of his submissions were spectacular examples of the coin but not cac vorthy

• KeithMS70KeithMS70 Posts: 192 ✭✭✭

Adding a 78 Morgan proof to my 1878 proof set

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file