Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Sanctions against Russia

Hello,

I just received an email from Fedex telling me coins I purchased from someone overseas are being held up because some of them were Russian. The coins were from the late 1700's and were not purchased in Russia. I've not heard this before and I'm afraid I'm caught up in some bureaucrat's nonsense.

Is it really the case that we can no longer receive Russian coins into the US?

Comments

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would shipper identify any of the specific items? Whenever I receive shipment from overseas, the shipper identifies the contents in the most vanilla and vague terms that they can.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    zski123zski123 Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

You are required to list the items in detail when over $2,200.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2018 9:33PM

@EVillageProwler said:
    Why would shipper identify any of the specific items? Whenever I receive shipment from overseas, the shipper identifies the contents in the most vanilla and vague terms that they can.

EVP

Fedex plays by the rules. If the shipper doesn't disclose what's in the package, Fedex will usually do what's necessary to figure it out. That said, I've never had a problem importing Russian coins.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

This is very unusual. I hope we are not seeing the start of a new stretch of red tape.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Options

@WorldCoinsDmitry said:
    This is very unusual. I hope we are not seeing the start of a new stretch of red tape.

I don't believe there is a sanction on collectibles, coins, etc. I'm sure we would have heard of it by now. I can still buy Russian vodka, food stuffs and just about any other item. I was asked for the manufacturer's name and address. As if I know the address of the Moscow mint in 1741! I'm hoping its incompetence rather than something new.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since I work for a liquor distributor I can tell you that sanctions have affected vodka imports, but Russia got around those by having Stolichnaya made in Latvia. It is still possible to get vodka sourced in Russia, but it is a pita and it will be expensive. If you want an AK-47, you get that made and shipped from Florida.

Similarly in Russia they are getting around sanctions on western products by having them come through third countries like Belarus.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SaorAlba said:
    Since I work for a liquor distributor I can tell you that sanctions have affected vodka imports, but Russia got around those by having Stolichnaya made in Latvia. It is still possible to get vodka sourced in Russia, but it is a pita and it will be expensive. If you want an AK-47, you get that made and shipped from Florida.

Similarly in Russia they are getting around sanctions on western products by having them come through third countries like Belarus.

Belarusian shrimp and aged jamon are all the rage these days. Who knew Belarus could produce all of the sanctioned items themselves? :D:D:D

• Options

Out of the blue, I received the package today. I sent an email last night asking if they could cite exactly which sanction covers the importation of antiques. I didn't hear back but the package was delivered regardless. Hope after all of this the coins aren't fakes. LOL

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let us know when you do get the coins authenticated and some snappy images would be very nice to see. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@zski123 said:
    Out of the blue, I received the package today. I sent an email last night asking if they could cite exactly which sanction covers the importation of antiques. I didn't hear back but the package was delivered regardless. Hope after all of this the coins aren't fakes. LOL

Pics! :)

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3