Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1939 Canadian Half- BU

I purchased this little gem yesterday at a local auction. There was also a 1938 Canadian Half that was AU; yet, it went for more than I was willing to pay. I paid $40 for this one. Should be at least MS-63. I could give it a dip to remove the carbon spots on obverse, and bring out the luster....but will just leave all alone.

Mintage: 287,976

Comments

• Nice buy, not sure if the risk/reward ratio on dipping it is worth it.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMHO if you dip it long enough to remove that spot you will strip the luster. Those little hard spots are stubborn.

• PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

I would absolutely leave it as is. That spot is hardly noticeable. To get rid of it, you'd remove the satin look to the lustre and any marks on it will become much more salient.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, congratulations !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • sarikanairsarikanair Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

Good decision... both for choosing this coin over the Canadian coin also for not giving it a dip as the carbon spots seem to be very resistant... Cheers!