Home U.S. Coin Forum

What happened to this 1992 penny. I’ve never seen a rim this wide?

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not a photo of the obverse or reverse also?

You will find it ever so slightly undersized due to being rolled.

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damaged it’s been tapped on the edges

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • TimbobbTimbobb Posts: 302 ✭✭✭

@JBK said:

U can not see the Obverse and reverse picture

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tapped, spooned, roll pressed, and someone just had too much time playing with those cents. Abe got a “splitting” headache (obverse ‘93) from so much post mint damage. ;):)

• TimbobbTimbobb Posts: 302 ✭✭✭

Oh yeah 93’. I don’t know why I put 92’🙃. Maybe I might be getting a splitting head from looking at so many coins.🤔😎 I’m going on 39. Never payed much attention to coins until here recently. But slowly learning more about old coins as much as of the errors at the same time. It’s like Wow! What?

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Timbobb said:

@JBK said:

U can not see the Obverse and reverse picture

I see it now, thx. Not much clues there but surely a coin that had force applied to the edge to give that effect.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2018 3:59PM

It looks to me like it was an encased cent, and has been removed from the case.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

i don't see any evidence of spooning by hand. Perhaps it can be done with a machine? Or, maybe your cent was caught in something that did that, like the bottom of a washer or such?

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • May’ve originally been compressed in center of a good luck type token. I recall seeing pennies with larger aluminum surrounds.

"A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does look like a formerly encased cent... we have seen them here before. Cheers, RickO

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fred, take a look at the last of the four pictures at the top. Any chance that is a partial collar strike?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tell him that last picture doesn’t quite look right for a partial collar strike– Might need another photo or two

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file