Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

George Washington's Death Day

thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

George Washington died 219 years ago today.
I love the Lafayette Commemorative Dollar for the fact that all of them were struck on December 14, 1899 - the 100th anniversary of GW's death. Someone put some thought into that to honor the "Indispensable Man".

thefinn

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder why the medal shown indicates his death date as Dec. 15 rather than Dec. 14?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good question...

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just wonder where we would be today if we had not had him on our side.

• Options
    musstangrmusstangr Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

I also have also been reading up on this great man of late. Truly amazing what he accomplished, especially before he became our first President....which is NOT the stuff that the majority of of us were taught in school. For sure must reading.
    A great, great man.

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

Years ago, I read an article in the Smithsonian Magazine that was based on Washington’s journal. The article focused on the time after the War and before he was President.

He had just been nominated for President, and was debating whether he would accept the position or not. He wrote that he really just wanted to go home and tend his farming, but he realized there was still a duty to be done, so he accepted the responsibilities of President!

As he made his way to the Capitol, it took weeks and weeks, as every town he passed through wanted to celebrate his visit!

As famous as he was in his own time, he remained humble, and even as President, he signed his letters, saying:

“Your most obedient and very humble servant, Geo Washington”

Can any of us remember any recent President so loved but still humble?

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t forget the 1999 200th Anniversary of his death gold $5.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cardinal said:

@CaptHenway said:

One of my favorite commems.
    Fantastic coin.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Truly a great man.... and in the company of other great men, they created a nation. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone should read Ron Chernow's biography; lengthy but really, really good.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    I wonder why the medal shown indicates his death date as Dec. 15 rather than Dec. 14?

A change in the calendar after that time

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@cardinal said:

@CaptHenway said:

Curiously, when these first came out they were listed in the Redbook as just "George Washington Commemorative 1999," until I pointed out to Ken Bressett that 1999 was the Bicentennial of Washington's death.

How did the Mint market them, does anybody remember? Was the word "death" used at all?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@291fifth said:

It also has the year he retired as President wrong, so I would say just sloppy research on the part of the engraver.

A change in calendar affected his birth date, but not his death date.

• Options

Madison called him the "Indispensable Man" because his approval of the Constitution was needed so that the document would even have a chance to pass. I have heard that the choice for the first President of the United States would have been Franklin, but that he was too far advanced in age to be considered. He was much more of an intellectual than Washington, and more experience and notoriety in international affairs, but Washington was more loved by the common folk. His humility in limiting his service to two terms was incredible - no ruler in the history of the world had ever stepped down from power voluntarily. If he had died in office, it would have set a precedent that the office of President was a life-long appointment, like a Supreme Court appointment.

"He had no children so that the nation could call him father."

thefinn
  • Options
    Alltheabove76Alltheabove76 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

He was a great man and truly the father of our country. But the greatest man who ever lived? For all his virtues the fact that he owned 300 slaves is something that will forever reduce him to the realm of mortals.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt said:

@291fifth said:

Curiosity makes me ask, what change in the calendar?

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

@Treashunt said:

@291fifth said:

The British were still using the Julian calendar in 1732 when Washington was born. They switched to the Gregorian (current) calendar in about 1752. This change would not have had an effect on Washington's date of death.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

@Hemispherical said:

@Treashunt said:

@291fifth said:

The British were still using the Julian calendar in 1732 when Washington was born. They switched to the Gregorian (current) calendar in about 1752. This change would not have had an effect on Washington's date of death.

Thanks! My mind was in the wrong century when I was thinking about the calendar change. ;)

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Merriam's Washington Tomb Medal, "Resurgimus."

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

@Alltheabove76 said:
    He was a great man and truly the father of our country. But the greatest man who ever lived? For all his virtues the fact that he owned 300 slaves is something that will forever reduce him to the realm of mortals.

Oh that we had such men in our current realm of mortals. In his place and time he was a giant. Today, he would be a colossus.

thefinn

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file