Home U.S. Coin Forum

Why don't more people post on the Buy, Sell, Trade forums?

alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 14, 2018 5:56PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Most people have extra coins they no longer need or have special items that are looking for. Why not post on the buy, sell, trade forums? I have done many successful sells and buys. Best of all I have made many great friendships with many.

The buy, sell, trade forums are a great resource and I highly recommend them.

I strongly suggest member to use this free forum before using other methods to buy are sell.

I am sorry I first posted on the Buy, Sell, Trade forum by accident, thinking that I was on the US coin forum

Gary

Comments

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many are holding their coins until the market improves. At a certain point, it makes more sense to just keep certain coins rather than to sell them for such a large loss. Many of the offer here are also going to be closer to wholesale in many, many cases in any event.

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I like the security of having the host of a buy/sell site ensure that I get paid.

thefinn
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thefinn said:
    Personally, I like the security of having the host of a buy/sell site ensure that I get paid.

You mean get refunded if necessary?

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SeattleSlammer said:

@thefinn said:

You mean get refunded if necessary?

Yes. Sometimes the coins don't live up to the photo. Sometimes they are better, but not as often.

thefinn
  • BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maintaining anonymity.

There are lots of other selling sites.

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have posted many coins on the BST over the years at a wholesale price with no takers. I list them on eBay and make way more money even after the fees.

• ARCOARCO Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried. Wholesale prices and you might sell it. Ebay always sold for higher from my experience.

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

I buy. I’ve been happy with every purchase. I don’t sell because I don’t want the hassle.
    I am a hassle free buyer. I can’t depend on that to be the norm.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am a seller and don't think I've even had one sell on the BST in 13 years. A sign that I'm not in the circle of rust.

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the forum for communicating with other dealers/collectors, and keeping up with whats going on in the marketplace, but as far as selling.

I just don't have much luck with bst sales, lots of fraud as of late, personal problems with other members, and just lack of intrest in general on some material. I like ebay and have so much better luck selling there.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

What he/she said above.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

The BST has it's place when dealing with members of trust. Have used it many times always favorably. Ebay has a much higher reach tho --

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reason is quite simple. They don't really know what their coin is worth. Always afraid of leaving money on the table. Greed.
    My father said to me as a young child: take some but leave some for the next guy.
    But, unfortunately most don't do that with their coins and they hope that the auction route will pay enough more and that it makes sense to do the auction route.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrible place to sell....for me at least.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like eBay Bucks.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2018 6:49AM

I tried it a couple of times in the past with no luck so I moved on and forgot about it... But, I may give it another try now that this thread reminds me. I've had better luck buying and selling car parts (on car forums).

• calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

I buy from BST when there is an offer I like ! No problems and satisfied with each transaction.

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have purchased from the BST many times (not so much lately, only because I have not been looking for many coins lately). Always successful, good prices, good transaction. Cheers, RickO

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2018 9:07AM

I have eBay store, no use for it. Also buy from GC, set up at shows. On Bay usually use AS. When dealers and flippers approach me at table (shows) wanting buy below bid / pickiff my nice stuff 4 really cheap - say “have nothing for u at that (move on).”

Goal: buy below bid / retail online or at shows, minimize OPEX (non variable selling expense). Many collectors like deer in headlights when it comes to selling have no concept of the current market conditions over inflated concept what they can get for their material so this group no go for me.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have had good experiences buying and selling there. But I'm not a dealer and I sell my coins with the intent to actually sell them and price them accordingly (the rare times I actually have a need to sell) as to not hold them for 18 months trying to squeak out every cent possible. There are exceptions if a coin is super PQ since I don't have to sell it I'm not going to give it away but for common stuff I'll throw it out there at wholesale or under and see it go same day and be happy.

Sometimes I wonder if people understand the opportunity cost of holding a coin so long. I've been watching the same coin on eBay for like a year now and it's at $1,600 OBO and the dealer won't take $1,475 for it. Seems crazy to me.

• gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of folks just do not want to take a loss even if it's $5.

• jedmjedm Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a really trouble free transaction on a $300 item, and a few small value trades or buys with no issues either. SO far so good.....

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

The PCGS BST is the only place I list my coins other than my website and I have had fabulous results in selling over the years. It has worked beautifully for me.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great question and it certainly isn't as active as it used to be.
    I am able to use it occasionally.

I get some satisfaction buying or sell with forum members.

Knowing that something is going to a good home and to a true collector, I'm fine with selling for a little less rather than using other venues.

I also don't mind paying a shade more to a forum member for something I want.
    It puts a name or face to the coin and adds some non monetary value to me. Silly, I know.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I sell, I tend to go for the "Easiest Way Possible".

That means a completely (or almost completely) hands off methods. Minimize shipping, minimize chance of returns, high anonymity.

Great Collections or sales to a dealer works best for me (depending on the material). Compared to those, the BST is just a lot of work!

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭

I would encourage more people to post in the buy, sell and trade forums. As more people post the more successful it will become. Many members mentioned that it was stronger before, I feel that with a little more effort it will be much stronger

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've made a few larger(well, ok only like $1k-ish) purchases on BST. Haven't tried to sell anything there yet... Hows the market for common circ morgans/peace? ;)

Collector, occasional seller

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's hard to compete with the retired folk who plant themselves on the BST, refresh every 15 seconds and snatch up anything that's even close to a good offering. :D

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• robecrobec Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried selling a couple of duplicate MPL's and individual proof cameo and deep cameo Franklins from a full set on the BST with no luck at all. They eventually sold at Heritage and Legend for much higher than I offered on the BST forum.

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alohagary said:
    I would encourage more people to post in the buy, sell and trade forums. As more people post the more successful it will become. Many members mentioned that it was stronger before, I feel that with a little more effort it will be much stronger

I have had great success buying and selling coins, primarily transacting with fellow collectors, over the years. I am sorry that it is not the robust marketplace that it once was. :(

• CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭

Unless you're already established, it's hard to get established, even if you try to sell something for a decent price. I tried to sell a few gold and silver coins with BST a while back. No luck the few times I tried posting there. So I decided it's really not even worth the bother to keep trying.

I'd have to give away whatever I'm selling to get anyone here to bite with a no name seller like coinphysicist.

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sparky64 said:
    It's hard to compete with the retired folk who plant themselves on the BST, refresh every 15 seconds and snatch up anything that's even close to a good offering. :D

There's an old saying---"When you snooze, you lose." :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if TDN sells his stash on BST, it will draw more interest :o

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have bought many times in the past on the BST with no issues and will again if something I like/need and can afford shows up. But remember this is a very small and often times very compartmentalized (and picky) audience compared to the much larger number of potential buyers a seller can reach thru sites like ebay, Heritage, and GC. So for a lot of reasons certain coins will do poorly here and better on another venue.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I browse a gun trading site. The listings that list the specific gun IN THE HEADING get the most views and the most success. The ones who also list the PRICE are very well received.

The more specifics in the heading, the more likely someone will look at it.

"This coin is starting at $1"
    and
    "Four Morgan Dollars"

doesn't get my pulse up much. ;)

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh yeah. I'll add that if you have a group of coins for sale that you don't just TTT the thing to death.
    Repeat the coins for sale (or what's left) in each bump.

I won't scroll to the beginning of a long thread to find out what has been for sale for a while.
    :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file